GHC 8.2.2 for WSL Ubuntu 16.04

Yitzchak Gale
I have made available a build of GHC 8.2.2 with the config option:
--disable-large-address-space

You may find this useful if you are using Ubuntu 16.04 on Windows
Subsystem for Linux.

https://github.com/zoominsoftware/ghc-8.2.2-wsl

Although Microsoft has been making gradual progress on the large
address mapping issue[1][2], and the situation is much improved, there
is still an extra startup latency of about 13 secs. for applications
that pre-map a large address space as GHC does by default. This makes
the standard GHC 8.2.2 binary unusable for compiling projects of any
non-trivial size on WSL. You may find this GHC 8.2.2 binary more usable.

Regards,
Yitz

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/13304
[2] https://github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues/1671

Shao Cheng wrote:
> Thank you! A simpler fix for WSL ghc users is upgrading to fast ring of
> insider builds, the mmap overhead is much lower and ghc startup lag is
> barely noticable.

Thanks, that's good news. I can't use an insider build - I need to be on
standard Windows in order to support our customers. The latest reports
in the GitHub issue seemed to indicate that the slowness is still quite
significant even on insider builds. I'm glad to hear you say that this is no
longer true. I am looking forward to regular GHC binary tarballs working
normally on regular WSL sometime in the near future.

Yitz

Re: GHC 8.2.2 for WSL Ubuntu 16.04

Herbert Valerio Riedel-3
Hello *,

Even though WSL may eventually address this issue for good, I've setup
a new WSL-optimised flavour of my PPA for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

  https://launchpad.net/~hvr/+archive/ubuntu/ghc

over at

  https://launchpad.net/~hvr/+archive/ubuntu/ghc-wsl

I don't have experience myself with Ubuntu on WSL, but it should be
simply a matter of using

  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hvr/ghc-wsl
  sudo apt-get update

and then

  sudo apt-get install ghc-8.2.2-prof cabal-install-head

Then simply add `/opt/ghc/bin` to your `$PATH` (see instructions at
https://launchpad.net/~hvr/+archive/ubuntu/ghc )

There are also builds of GHC 8.0.2 and GHC 8.4.1-alpha (may still be
building as of writing) in this new ghc-for-wsl PPA.

I'd appreciate if somebody could test whether these GHC binaries work
as intended on the non-insider Windows 10 builds and let me know.

Cheers,
  Herbert

Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
> ...I've setup a new WSL-optimised flavour
> of my PPA for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS over at
> https://launchpad.net/~hvr/+archive/ubuntu/ghc-wsl

This is fantastic, thanks for doing this Herbert!

-Yitz

Re: GHC 8.2.2 for WSL Ubuntu 16.04

Carter Schonwald
awesome!