GHC 8.6.1 release status

Ben Gamari-3
Hi everyone,

I was getting ready to prepare the final 8.6.1 release tarballs when
Herbert pointed out that the testsuite of his cryptohash-sha256 package
currently segfaults. This appears to be a rather serious, non-deterministic
regression. I've opened #15544 to track this and will delay the final
8.6.1 release until this is resolved.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC 8.6.1 release status

Matthew Pickering
I think the release should include this fix to haddock. Will that happen?

https://github.com/haskell/haddock/pull/905

Matt
On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 10:33 PM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I was getting ready to prepare the final 8.6.1 release tarballs when
> Herbert pointed out that the testsuite of his cryptohash-sha256 package
> currently segfaults. This appears to be a rather serious, non-deterministic
> regression. I've opened #15544 to track this and will delay the final
> 8.6.1 release until this is resolved.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben

Re: GHC 8.6.1 release status

Ben Gamari-3
Matthew Pickering <[hidden email]> writes:

> I think the release should include this fix to haddock. Will that happen?
>
> https://github.com/haskell/haddock/pull/905

Yes, we can make that happen.

Re: GHC 8.6.1 release status

Sven Panne-2
Am Mo., 20. Aug. 2018 um 23:40 Uhr schrieb Matthew Pickering <[hidden email]>:
I think the release should include this fix to haddock. Will that happen?

https://github.com/haskell/haddock/pull/905

Will the release contain the fix

for the issue

too? Without that fix, Haddock is basically unusable for lots of packages under the memory restrictions of Travis CI.

Cheers,
   S.

Re: GHC 8.6.1 release status

Ben Gamari-2
Sven Panne <[hidden email]> writes:

> Am Mo., 20. Aug. 2018 um 23:40 Uhr schrieb Matthew Pickering <
> [hidden email]>:
>
>> I think the release should include this fix to haddock. Will that happen?
>>
>> https://github.com/haskell/haddock/pull/905
>

> Will the release contain the fix
>
>     https://github.com/haskell/haddock/pull/893
>
> for the issue
>
>    https://github.com/haskell/haddock/issues/462
>
> too? Without that fix, Haddock is basically unusable for lots of packages
> under the memory restrictions of Travis CI.

Alex, do you have any objection to merging these?

Cheers,

 - Ben

Re: GHC 8.6.1 release status

GHC - devs mailing list
Hi Ben,

I talked to Alex about these today:

* PR #905 has been merged.
* PR #893 requires the merge of https://phabricator.haskell.org/D5003. Apart from that there were no objections.

Am Di., 21. Aug. 2018 um 17:14 Uhr schrieb Simon Jakobi via ghc-devs <[hidden email]>:
I talked to Alex about these today:

* PR #905 has been merged.
* PR #893 requires the merge of https://phabricator.haskell.org/D5003. Apart from that there were no objections.

Just another Haddock-related question: Is the fix in https://github.com/haskell/haddock/issues/837 included in 8.6.1, too? Currently I'm a bit confused about exactly which Haddock release/snapshot will be shipped with 8.6.1...

Re: GHC 8.6.1 release status

GHC - devs mailing list
Is the fix in https://github.com/haskell/haddock/issues/837 included in 8.6.1, too?

The fix is both on ghc's ghc-8.6 branch and on haddock's ghc-8.6 branch.

Currently I'm a bit confused about exactly which Haddock release/snapshot will be shipped with 8.6.1...

I'm not sure either. CC'ing Herbert.

Am Do., 23. Aug. 2018 um 11:07 Uhr schrieb Sven Panne <[hidden email]>:
Am Di., 21. Aug. 2018 um 17:14 Uhr schrieb Simon Jakobi via ghc-devs <[hidden email]>:
I talked to Alex about these today:

* PR #905 has been merged.
* PR #893 requires the merge of https://phabricator.haskell.org/D5003. Apart from that there were no objections.

Just another Haddock-related question: Is the fix in https://github.com/haskell/haddock/issues/837 included in 8.6.1, too? Currently I'm a bit confused about exactly which Haddock release/snapshot will be shipped with 8.6.1...

Re: GHC 8.6.1 release status

Alec Theriault
As far as I can tell, these changes aren’t yet in GHC 8.6:

https://github.com/haskell/haddock/pull/905 is on Haddock’s 8.6 branch, but GHC 8.6 hasn’t yet bumped the submodule.
https://github.com/haskell/haddock/pull/893 is not even yet on Haddock’s 8.6 branch. Note that this one requires matching GHC-side changes to be cherry-picked too.

I think the idea is loosely for GHC 8.6 to ship whatever is in the Haddock `ghc-8.6` branch.

On Aug 23, 2018, at 6:46 AM, Simon Jakobi via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Facundo Domínguez-3
Hello!

I'm having some problem related to plugin recompilation:

This prevents inline-java from building with ghc-6.8.1. Perhaps it is
worth checking before the release.

Best,
Facundo

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 11:29 AM Alec Theriault
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> As far as I can tell, these changes aren’t yet in GHC 8.6:
>
> * https://github.com/haskell/haddock/pull/905 is on Haddock’s 8.6 branch, but GHC 8.6 hasn’t yet bumped the submodule.
> * https://github.com/haskell/haddock/pull/893 is not even yet on Haddock’s 8.6 branch. Note that this one requires matching GHC-side changes to be cherry-picked too.
>
> I think the idea is loosely for GHC 8.6 to ship whatever is in the Haddock `ghc-8.6` branch.
>
> On Aug 23, 2018, at 6:46 AM, Simon Jakobi via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is the fix in https://github.com/haskell/haddock/issues/837 included in 8.6.1, too?
>

> The fix is both on ghc's ghc-8.6 branch and on haddock's ghc-8.6 branch.
>
>> Currently I'm a bit confused about exactly which Haddock release/snapshot will be shipped with 8.6.1...
>

> I'm not sure either. CC'ing Herbert.
>
> Am Do., 23. Aug. 2018 um 11:07 Uhr schrieb Sven Panne <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Am Di., 21. Aug. 2018 um 17:14 Uhr schrieb Simon Jakobi via ghc-devs <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> I talked to Alex about these today:
>>>
>>> * PR #905 has been merged.
>>> * PR #893 requires the merge of https://phabricator.haskell.org/D5003. Apart from that there were no objections.
>>

>> Just another Haddock-related question: Is the fix in https://github.com/haskell/haddock/issues/837 included in 8.6.1, too? Currently I'm a bit confused about exactly which Haddock release/snapshot will be shipped with 8.6.1...

Re: GHC 8.6.1 release status

Matthew Pickering
I just replied on the ticket. I think the issue is fixed by D5048.

Matt
On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 9:05 PM Facundo Domínguez
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm having some problem related to plugin recompilation:
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/15564
>
> This prevents inline-java from building with ghc-6.8.1. Perhaps it is
> worth checking before the release.
>
> Best,
> Facundo
>

> On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 11:29 AM Alec Theriault
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > As far as I can tell, these changes aren’t yet in GHC 8.6:
> >
> > * https://github.com/haskell/haddock/pull/905 is on Haddock’s 8.6 branch, but GHC 8.6 hasn’t yet bumped the submodule.
> > * https://github.com/haskell/haddock/pull/893 is not even yet on Haddock’s 8.6 branch. Note that this one requires matching GHC-side changes to be cherry-picked too.
> >
> > I think the idea is loosely for GHC 8.6 to ship whatever is in the Haddock `ghc-8.6` branch.
> >
> > On Aug 23, 2018, at 6:46 AM, Simon Jakobi via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Is the fix in https://github.com/haskell/haddock/issues/837 included in 8.6.1, too?
> >

> > The fix is both on ghc's ghc-8.6 branch and on haddock's ghc-8.6 branch.
> >
> >> Currently I'm a bit confused about exactly which Haddock release/snapshot will be shipped with 8.6.1...
> >

> > I'm not sure either. CC'ing Herbert.

> >> Just another Haddock-related question: Is the fix in https://github.com/haskell/haddock/issues/837 included in 8.6.1, too? Currently I'm a bit confused about exactly which Haddock release/snapshot will be shipped with 8.6.1...

Regarding Package Environment Files

lennart spitzner-2
greetings,

this topic was discussed on mailing list before[1], but I don't think anything came of it. It was also recently discussed on the cabal issue tracker [2] but alas the cabal maintainers have so far not shown interest in resolving the issue.

And while cabal-install caused this problem to surface for many users, the fact that package environment files unnecessarily add state to ghc behaviour holds regardless of cabal behaviour, and must be addressed on ghc's end. I expand on this reasoning in a blog post [3].

Thanks for considering.

-- lennart

[1] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2018-May/129076.html
[2] https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/4542