GHC-8.6.3 question.

David Duke
Dear colleagues

I'm in the process of having to reinstall  ghc-8.6.3 in order to use a library (gtk) where the last successful build is 8.6.3. I was able to do that on linux. However I'm now trying to repeat this under OSX. I couldn't find a binary version, so I've been trying to build from source- but i'm hitting an issue on 'make install':

stage2/build/libHSghc-8.6.3_p.a: copyFile: does not exist (No such file or directory)

I'm not seeing a stage2 directory in my build area, but I'm not seeing any earlier error messages so I'm unclear why the build is failing.

If someone familiar with this release and/or th build process could suggest any causes or fixes that would be helpful.

thanks,
David Duke

Re: GHC-8.6.3 question.

Jaro Reinders
I can't help with compiling GHC from source, but gtk-0.15.5 builds fine with
GHC 8.8.4

On 10/31/20 7:35 PM, David Duke wrote:

> Dear colleagues
>
> I'm in the process of having to reinstall  ghc-8.6.3 in order to use a
> library (gtk) where the last successful build is 8.6.3. I was able to do
> that on linux. However I'm now trying to repeat this under OSX. I couldn't
> find a binary version, so I've been trying to build from source- but i'm
> hitting an issue on 'make install':
>
> stage2/build/libHSghc-8.6.3_p.a: copyFile: does not exist (No such file or
> directory)
>
> I'm not seeing a stage2 directory in my build area, but I'm not seeing any
> earlier error messages so I'm unclear why the build is failing.
>
> If someone familiar with this release and/or th build process could suggest
> any causes or fixes that would be helpful.
>
> thanks,
> David Duke

Re: GHC-8.6.3 question.

Haskell - Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Hello David,

November 1, 2020 4:35 AM, "David Duke" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm in the process of having to reinstall ghc-8.6.3 in order to use a library (gtk) where the last
> successful build is 8.6.3. I was able to do that on linux. However I'm now trying to repeat this
> under OSX.

I don't use macOS so I can't answer your build question directly, but do you use ghcup ( https://www.haskell.org/ghcup/ ) to manage your GHC versions? It looks like ghcup has been told about 8.6.3 on darwin: https://gitlab.haskell.org/haskell/ghcup/-/blob/8f4705a50eefafd92ceef32094eec7140885b3d5/.download-urls#L99

HTH,

-- Jack

Re: GHC-8.6.3 question.

David Duke
Thanks Jack. I have  used ghcup previously but had forgotten  about it - one problem solved!

regards
David

--
David Duke