GHC Logo

Ben Gamari-3
Hi everyone,

Recently a sponsor asked for a logo for our project. As far as I know,
GHC doesn't really have a consistent logo; the closest that we have had
is the stylized "GHC" on the top of ghc.haskell.org.

To accomodate the request, I took a few minutes and reworked the
typography of the Thompson-Wheeler Haskell logo for use by GHC. I
couldn't positively identify the typeface used for the "Haskell" text,
but I believe that the extra-bold Cantarell face that I chose in the GHC
variant has a similar feel to the Haskell logo and is free to use.

I've posted the logo on the Wiki for future reference [1]. Feedback is
very much welcome.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/wikis/logo

ghc-logo.svg (12K) Download Attachment

Re: GHC Logo

GHC - devs mailing list
Hey Ben,

it may make sense to make a copy of the SVG that has the font turned into paths;
for me it looks different in Firefox, Thunderbird, and eog, probably because I don't have the font installed.
(This is probably also why the logo is cut off for me in some of them).

Re: GHC Logo

Ben Gamari-3
Niklas Hambüchen <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hey Ben,
>
> it may make sense to make a copy of the SVG that has the font turned into paths;
> for me it looks different in Firefox, Thunderbird, and eog, probably because I don't have the font installed.
> (This is probably also why the logo is cut off for me in some of them).

Sigh, of course. I've uploaded another version with path-ified text.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC Logo

Carter Schonwald
I def like the serif / times new Roman version

Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> writes:

> I def like the serif / times new Roman version

I'm not aware of a serif version and in general I would be hesitant to
introduce one given that:

 1. this would break from the precedent set by the current Haskell logo

 2. details like serifs tend not to translate well into small display
    areas

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC Logo

Merijn Verstraaten

> On 16 Aug 2020, at 16:02, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I def like the serif / times new Roman version
>>
> I'm not aware of a serif version and in general I would be hesitant to
> introduce one given that:

The one you send out renders using a serif font for GHC on my system (and, presumably, Carter's).

Cheers,
Merijn

Re: GHC Logo

Brandon Allbery
Sounds like a missing font to me. It rendered sans-serif here, but I have that set as default.

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 1:39 PM Merijn Verstraaten <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16 Aug 2020, at 16:02, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I def like the serif / times new Roman version
>>
> I'm not aware of a serif version and in general I would be hesitant to
> introduce one given that:

The one you send out renders using a serif font for GHC on my system (and, presumably, Carter's).

Cheers,
Merijn

brandon s allbery kf8nh

Re: GHC Logo

Ben Gamari-3
Merijn Verstraaten <[hidden email]> writes:

>> On 16 Aug 2020, at 16:02, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> I def like the serif / times new Roman version
>>>
>> I'm not aware of a serif version and in general I would be hesitant to
>> introduce one given that:
>
> The one you send out renders using a serif font for GHC on my system (and, presumably, Carter's).

Indeed, sounds like a missing font. The typeface used is Cantarell,
which is certainly a sans-serif face. You will find a version on the
Wiki which has had the text projected to paths.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC Logo

Richard Eisenberg-5
Late to the party here, but I'm wondering whether we can enlist someone with graphic design experience to create a more iconic logo for the compiler. I use the word "iconic" deliberately: it should both be recognizable, and in the shape of an icon (that is, more square). The Haskell logo does this wonderfully, but I think Ben's proposal just appends GHC to that.

My own preference would be to retain a connection with the Haskell logo (as Ben's submission does), but that needn't be a hard requirement.

Thanks,
Richard

> On Aug 16, 2020, at 2:30 PM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Merijn Verstraaten <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> I'm not aware of a serif version and in general I would be hesitant to
>>> introduce one given that:
>>
>> The one you send out renders using a serif font for GHC on my system (and, presumably, Carter's).
>>
> Indeed, sounds like a missing font. The typeface used is Cantarell,
> which is certainly a sans-serif face. You will find a version on the
> Wiki which has had the text projected to paths.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben

Re: GHC Logo

Daneel Yaitskov-2

Is it a contest for picking up a new logo?
As for me logo "λ GHC" is redundant, because H stands for Haskell and λ here means Haskell.

So logo should be GλC.

Best Regards,
Daniil.

On Sep 2, 2020, someone wrote to me privately saying:

> I was thinking Cats for some reason.

Ooh. I'm picturing a cat with its tail wrapped around a lambda, or something like that. And Simon PJ does have a cat named Haskell who could perhaps be the model. :)

Richard

On Sep 2, 2020, at 10:16 AM, Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ryan Yates
Cats are warm and fuzzy.

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 10:38 AM Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sep 2, 2020, someone wrote to me privately saying:

> I was thinking Cats for some reason.

Ooh. I'm picturing a cat with its tail wrapped around a lambda, or something like that. And Simon PJ does have a cat named Haskell who could perhaps be the model. :)

Richard

On Sep 2, 2020, at 10:16 AM, Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm oddly drawn to the idea of a turtle -- except that turtles are slow. But animals are cute. Maybe something involving a fox, given that foxes can be clever? Octopuses are also known to be very clever, but maybe GitHub has octopuses covered.

On Sep 1, 2020, at 8:42 PM, Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ben, what if we have someone draw a cartoony version of your box turtle? i feel like that would be a pretty cute logo! totally ahistorical, but would certainly be cute!

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 7:51 PM Daneel Yaitskov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Is it a contest for picking up a new logo?
As for me logo "λ GHC" is redundant, because H stands for Haskell and λ here means Haskell.

So logo should be GλC.

Best Regards,
Daniil.

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020, 8:50 AM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Recently a sponsor asked for a logo for our project. As far as I know,
GHC doesn't really have a consistent logo; the closest that we have had
is the stylized "GHC" on the top of ghc.haskell.org.

To accomodate the request, I took a few minutes and reworked the
typography of the Thompson-Wheeler Haskell logo for use by GHC. I
couldn't positively identify the typeface used for the "Haskell" text,
but I believe that the extra-bold Cantarell face that I chose in the GHC
variant has a similar feel to the Haskell logo and is free to use.

I've posted the logo on the Wiki for future reference [1]. Feedback is
very much welcome.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/wikis/logo

Re: GHC Logo

Bryan Richter-2
I have no idea who or where it came from, but I loved the owl from BayHac 2013. In my mind, it has always been the Haskell mascot (I was pretty new to the community in 2013).

image.png

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 5:39 PM Ryan Yates <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cats are warm and fuzzy.

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 10:38 AM Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sep 2, 2020, someone wrote to me privately saying:

> I was thinking Cats for some reason.

Ooh. I'm picturing a cat with its tail wrapped around a lambda, or something like that. And Simon PJ does have a cat named Haskell who could perhaps be the model. :)

Richard

On Sep 2, 2020, at 10:16 AM, Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm oddly drawn to the idea of a turtle -- except that turtles are slow. But animals are cute. Maybe something involving a fox, given that foxes can be clever? Octopuses are also known to be very clever, but maybe GitHub has octopuses covered.

On Sep 1, 2020, at 8:42 PM, Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ben, what if we have someone draw a cartoony version of your box turtle? i feel like that would be a pretty cute logo! totally ahistorical, but would certainly be cute!

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 7:51 PM Daneel Yaitskov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Is it a contest for picking up a new logo?
As for me logo "λ GHC" is redundant, because H stands for Haskell and λ here means Haskell.

So logo should be GλC.

Best Regards,
Daniil.

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020, 8:50 AM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Recently a sponsor asked for a logo for our project. As far as I know,
GHC doesn't really have a consistent logo; the closest that we have had
is the stylized "GHC" on the top of ghc.haskell.org.

To accomodate the request, I took a few minutes and reworked the
typography of the Thompson-Wheeler Haskell logo for use by GHC. I
couldn't positively identify the typeface used for the "Haskell" text,
but I believe that the extra-bold Cantarell face that I chose in the GHC
variant has a similar feel to the Haskell logo and is free to use.

I've posted the logo on the Wiki for future reference [1]. Feedback is
very much welcome.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/wikis/logo

Re: GHC Logo

Dr. ERDI Gergo
The Cat's name should be Hask.

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020, 22:39 Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sep 2, 2020, someone wrote to me privately saying:

> I was thinking Cats for some reason.

Ooh. I'm picturing a cat with its tail wrapped around a lambda, or something like that. And Simon PJ does have a cat named Haskell who could perhaps be the model. :)

Richard

On Sep 2, 2020, at 10:16 AM, Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm oddly drawn to the idea of a turtle -- except that turtles are slow. But animals are cute. Maybe something involving a fox, given that foxes can be clever? Octopuses are also known to be very clever, but maybe GitHub has octopuses covered.

On Sep 1, 2020, at 8:42 PM, Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ben, what if we have someone draw a cartoony version of your box turtle? i feel like that would be a pretty cute logo! totally ahistorical, but would certainly be cute!

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 7:51 PM Daneel Yaitskov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Is it a contest for picking up a new logo?
As for me logo "λ GHC" is redundant, because H stands for Haskell and λ here means Haskell.

So logo should be GλC.

Best Regards,
Daniil.

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020, 8:50 AM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Recently a sponsor asked for a logo for our project. As far as I know,
GHC doesn't really have a consistent logo; the closest that we have had
is the stylized "GHC" on the top of ghc.haskell.org.

To accomodate the request, I took a few minutes and reworked the
typography of the Thompson-Wheeler Haskell logo for use by GHC. I
couldn't positively identify the typeface used for the "Haskell" text,
but I believe that the extra-bold Cantarell face that I chose in the GHC
variant has a similar feel to the Haskell logo and is free to use.

I've posted the logo on the Wiki for future reference [1]. Feedback is
very much welcome.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/wikis/logo

Re: GHC Logo

Carter Schonwald
Mark lentzer (I’m almost certainly spelling his last name wrong)

Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> writes:

> I'm oddly drawn to the idea of a turtle -- except that turtles are
> slow. But animals are cute. Maybe something involving a fox, given
> that foxes can be clever? Octopuses are also known to be very clever,
> but maybe GitHub has octopuses covered.

In general I'm rather neutral on the logo question. There is a fine line
between "juvenile" (which may detract from the project's credibility in
the eyes of some) and "cute" (which I think is universally a Good
Thing); the current rather boring logo was a quick attempt to satisfy
the need for some logo while recognizing that I lack the artistic
ability to walk that line. I don't think it's a bad logo but it's quite
dull and far from being a *good* logo. I do hope someone steps up to do
better.

Logos aside, I do feel the need to correct the record here: you
clearly have not seen how quickly a turtle can move when offered banana
or shrimp. They can be quite quick when suitably incentivized!

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC Logo

John Ericson-2

Yeah I think the old "functional programming is slow" memes died off about when the rest of the industry went on its JavaScript bender, so I am not really worried about the negative connotations of turtles.

The positive connotations of turtles sounds very good to me. Besides safety,

  •  the longevity of at least giant tortoises also speaks to GHC's rare ability to stay at the vanguard of research while still being wildly used.
  • Their ability to walk and swim speaks to the diverse backends that can be attached to GHC (NCG, LLVM, GHCJS, Asterius, Clash's, etc.).
  • Even the fable, from which the slowness myth comes from I guess, goes well with "avoid success at all costs".

Conversely I am not a fan of choosing a Cat. I like Cats fine in real life, don't get be wrong, but Cats are so popular on the internet that this would be the the unmarked animal choice, with no clear connotations or memorability. I think that would be the juvenile choice, per Ben's slippery slope.

Foxes are nice, but I think Firefox has that for life.

Octopuses are alright. GitHub's Octocat doesn't doesn't pose nearly as much of a problem as Firefox for foxes. Still, while Octopuses are smart, they are usually solitary and mischievous. GHC is very much a long-term group effort, belying the solitary connotation, and I certainly hope any compiler I use isn't mischievous!

A turtle for a compiler is a bold choice that indicates our values, confidence that the performance of compiled code is immune to cheap derision, and humor.

John

P.S. The funny patterns on turtles' backs could be made of lambdas?...

P.P.S. and yes, if it does compel us to fix rampant list appending just so we're fast on all fronts, that would be nice too :).