GHC Reading Guide

Takenobu Tani
Dear devs,

I've written a simple document about "GHC source reading" for myself
and potential newcomers:

  * https://takenobu-hs.github.io/downloads/haskell_ghc_reading_guide.pdf
    (https://github.com/takenobu-hs/haskell-ghc-reading-guide)

Please teach me if something's wrong. I'll learn and correct them.

Happy Haskelling :)

Regards,
Takenobu

Re: GHC Reading Guide

Richard Eisenberg-5
A quick scroll through didn't reveal anything incorrect in my areas of expertise.

On the "Dump intermediate languages" slide, you might want to mention these flags:
 -fprint-explicit-kinds: print out kind applications
 -fprint-explicit-coercions: print out details of coercions
 -fprint-typechecker-elaboration: print out extra gubbins the type-checker inserts
 -fprint-explicit-runtime-reps: don't simplify away RuntimeRep arguments

 -ddump-ds-preopt: print out the desugared Core before the very first "simple" optimization pass

Thanks for writing & sharing!
Richard

> On Feb 5, 2021, at 7:05 AM, Takenobu Tani <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear devs,
>
> I've written a simple document about "GHC source reading" for myself
> and potential newcomers:
>
>  * https://takenobu-hs.github.io/downloads/haskell_ghc_reading_guide.pdf
>    (https://github.com/takenobu-hs/haskell-ghc-reading-guide)
>
> Please teach me if something's wrong. I'll learn and correct them.
>
> Happy Haskelling :)
>
> Regards,
> Takenobu

Re: GHC Reading Guide

Sebastian Graf
Hi Takenobu,

thanks for updating that resource! I know that it was helpful to a couple of students of mine to get a big picture of GHC.

I don't have anything to add. There are quite a few more -ddump-* flags for the different Core passes, but I don't think it's interesting to list all of them on that slide.

Greetings,
Sebastian

Am Fr., 5. Feb. 2021 um 16:09 Uhr schrieb Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]>:
A quick scroll through didn't reveal anything incorrect in my areas of expertise.

On the "Dump intermediate languages" slide, you might want to mention these flags:
 -fprint-explicit-kinds: print out kind applications
 -fprint-explicit-coercions: print out details of coercions
 -fprint-typechecker-elaboration: print out extra gubbins the type-checker inserts
 -fprint-explicit-runtime-reps: don't simplify away RuntimeRep arguments

 -ddump-ds-preopt: print out the desugared Core before the very first "simple" optimization pass

Thanks for writing & sharing!
Richard

> On Feb 5, 2021, at 7:05 AM, Takenobu Tani <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear devs,
>
> I've written a simple document about "GHC source reading" for myself
> and potential newcomers:
>
>  * https://takenobu-hs.github.io/downloads/haskell_ghc_reading_guide.pdf
>    (https://github.com/takenobu-hs/haskell-ghc-reading-guide)
>
> Please teach me if something's wrong. I'll learn and correct them.
>
> Happy Haskelling :)
>
> Regards,
> Takenobu

Re: GHC Reading Guide