GHC head and .haddocks

Edsko de Vries-4
Hi,

I'm trying to build and install ghc head, with the installation of the
.haddocks. I'm running into all kinds of trouble though. I have
docbook and docbook-xsl installed, am using the standard sample
build.mk with the "quick" profile, modified to have

HADDOCK_DOCS       = YES
BUILD_DOCBOOK_HTML = YES

and configure confirms that it will build docs. A full 'make' however
leaves the source tree without any .haddock files inside, and a
subsequent 'make install' does not install any .haddock files either.
Moreover, curiously, no 'haddock' script is installed (only
haddock-ghc-7.7.20130721) -- but perhaps that is expected?

I can easily build the .haddock files manually by running "make html
stage=0 FAST=YES" as per the wiki (inside, say, ../base/ in the source
tree), and that works as expected, but a subsequent 'make install' in
the root still does not install any .haddocks.

I tried copying over the .haddock files manually, but now running
haddock (copied from haddock-ghc-7.7.20130721) exits with

haddock: internal error: /Users/dev/local/lib/ghc-7.7.20130721/html:
getDirectoryContents: does not exist (No such file or directory)

That path "/Users/dev/local/lib/ghc-7.7.20130721" is specified as the
"topdir" in the haddock script and passed to the actual executable
with -B and -l , and indeed that's where the libraries are installed.
However, I don't understand why it's looking in
~/local/lib/ghc-7.7.20130721/html, because the html documentation is
not installed there (but in ~/local/share/doc/ghc/html/libraries/).

I'm shooting in the dark here really, I'm not really sure what's going
on or what I've done wrong. Any pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Edsko

GHC head and .haddocks

Edsko de Vries-4
Ok, I just realized that that ~/local/lib/ghc-7.7.20130721/html
directory it is looking for *does* exist in a normal build and
contains themes and stuff. Copying that from inplace/lib/html in the
ghc source tree avoids the internal error message, so this is probably
just another manifestation of the failure to install the haddocks in
the first place. I still don't know why that happened though (why it
didn't build the .haddock files nor install them, or the
inplace/lib/html directory).

-E

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Edsko de Vries <edskodevries at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build and install ghc head, with the installation of the
> .haddocks. I'm running into all kinds of trouble though. I have
> docbook and docbook-xsl installed, am using the standard sample
> build.mk with the "quick" profile, modified to have
>
> HADDOCK_DOCS       = YES
> BUILD_DOCBOOK_HTML = YES
>
> and configure confirms that it will build docs. A full 'make' however
> leaves the source tree without any .haddock files inside, and a
> subsequent 'make install' does not install any .haddock files either.
> Moreover, curiously, no 'haddock' script is installed (only
> haddock-ghc-7.7.20130721) -- but perhaps that is expected?
>
> I can easily build the .haddock files manually by running "make html
> stage=0 FAST=YES" as per the wiki (inside, say, ../base/ in the source
> tree), and that works as expected, but a subsequent 'make install' in
> the root still does not install any .haddocks.
>
> I tried copying over the .haddock files manually, but now running
> haddock (copied from haddock-ghc-7.7.20130721) exits with
>
> haddock: internal error: /Users/dev/local/lib/ghc-7.7.20130721/html:
> getDirectoryContents: does not exist (No such file or directory)
>
> That path "/Users/dev/local/lib/ghc-7.7.20130721" is specified as the
> "topdir" in the haddock script and passed to the actual executable
> with -B and -l , and indeed that's where the libraries are installed.
> However, I don't understand why it's looking in
> ~/local/lib/ghc-7.7.20130721/html, because the html documentation is
> not installed there (but in ~/local/share/doc/ghc/html/libraries/).
>
> I'm shooting in the dark here really, I'm not really sure what's going
> on or what I've done wrong. Any pointers would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Edsko

GHC head and .haddocks

Ian Lynagh-2

Hi Edsko,

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:38:25PM +0200, Edsko de Vries wrote:

> I'm trying to build and install ghc head, with the installation of the
> .haddocks. I'm running into all kinds of trouble though. I have
> docbook and docbook-xsl installed,

docbook isn't related to building haddock docs.

> am using the standard sample
> build.mk with the "quick" profile, modified to have
>
> HADDOCK_DOCS       = YES
> BUILD_DOCBOOK_HTML = YES
>
> and configure confirms that it will build docs. A full 'make' however
> leaves the source tree without any .haddock files inside,

What does

    make show VALUE=HADDOCK_DOCS

say?

Thanks
Ian
--
Ian Lynagh, Haskell Consultant

GHC head and .haddocks

Edsko de Vries-4
Hi Ian,

That says

HADDOCK_DOCS="YES "

-E

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:31 PM, Ian Lynagh <ian at well-typed.com> wrote:

> Hi Edsko,
>
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:38:25PM +0200, Edsko de Vries wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to build and install ghc head, with the installation of the
>> .haddocks. I'm running into all kinds of trouble though. I have
>> docbook and docbook-xsl installed,
>
> docbook isn't related to building haddock docs.
>
>> am using the standard sample
>> build.mk with the "quick" profile, modified to have
>>
>> HADDOCK_DOCS       = YES
>> BUILD_DOCBOOK_HTML = YES
>>
>> and configure confirms that it will build docs. A full 'make' however
>> leaves the source tree without any .haddock files inside,
>
> What does
>
>     make show VALUE=HADDOCK_DOCS
>
> say?
>

> Thanks
> Ian
> --
> Ian Lynagh, Haskell Consultant
> Well-Typed LLP, http://www.well-typed.com/

GHC head and .haddocks

Ian Lynagh-2

Hi Edsko,

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 01:38:45PM +0100, Edsko de Vries wrote:

> HADDOCK_DOCS="YES "

That space is almost certainly the problem.

Thanks
Ian
--
Ian Lynagh, Haskell Consultant