GHC release candidate

Simon Peyton Jones

George, Richard, Geoff

We’d like to get a new release candidate for GHC out on Friday 5th Feb.   Does that give you enough post-POPL time to get done?

·         George: The pattern match performance issues

·         Richard: the ReturnTv stuff (branch wip/exp-types)

·         Richard: #11471 (levity)

·         Richard: documentation for TypeInType

·         Geoff: #11487

·         Simon PJ: #11339

Richard, also if you look at https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-8.0.1 you can see “highest” priority tickets with you as owner, that are to do with TypeInType and TypeApplications.

Thanks

Re: GHC release candidate

Geoffrey Mainland
I will try, but that's a bit tight for #11487---less than two weeks from
initial report to required fix, and I am teaching 3 courses this term.

Given that this bug has been dormant for 3.5 years, one might question
why it is suddenly of the "highest" priority :)

Cheers,
Geoff

On 01/26/2016 10:34 AM, Simon Peyton Jones wrote:

> George, Richard, Geoff
>
> We’d like to get a new release candidate for GHC out on Friday 5^th
> Feb.   Does that give you enough post-POPL time to get done?
>
> ·         *George*: The pattern match performance issues
>
> ·         *Richard*: the ReturnTv stuff (branch wip/exp-types)
>
> ·         *Richard*: #11471 (levity)
>
> ·         *Richard*: documentation for TypeInType
>
> ·         *Geoff*: #11487
>
> ·         *Simon PJ*: #11339
>
> *Richard*, also if you look at
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-8.0.1 you can see
> “highest” priority tickets with you as owner, that are to do with
> TypeInType and TypeApplications.
>
> Thanks
>
> Simon

RE: GHC release candidate

Simon Peyton Jones
|  Given that this bug has been dormant for 3.5 years, one might question
|  why it is suddenly of the "highest" priority :)

Only that (a) it's a seg-fault, and (b) it seems easy to fix, and most important (c) you kindly volunteered to produce a patch in a week.

If you can't, fair enough, so be it. We can push it out to 8.2.  Or maybe someone else (Reid?) might do it.

So feel free to un-volunteer!

Simon

Re: GHC release candidate

Richard Eisenberg-2

On Jan 26, 2016, at 10:34 AM, Simon Peyton Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

·         Richard: the ReturnTv stuff (branch wip/exp-types)

Yes. I just pushed a candidate patch that may well validate. I'll merge tomorrow (Wed) on success.

·         Richard: #11471 (levity)

This should hopefully be much easier than ExpTypes. Next Friday is a reasonable deadline.

·         Richard: documentation for TypeInType

Sure.

·         Geoff: #11487

·         Simon PJ: #11339

Richard, also if you look at https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-8.0.1 you can see “highest” priority tickets with you as owner, that are to do with TypeInType and TypeApplications.

There's a bunch here. Believe me -- I'm working as fast as I can to wrap up these bugs. Unfortunately, our release cycle overlaps with the critical time for the academic job market, so GHC is competing with my need to get a job. If anyone reading this wants to offer me a job, that could indeed have a tangible effect on how quickly I scoop up these bugs! :)

Richard

Thanks

RE: GHC release candidate

Simon Peyton Jones

There's a bunch here. Believe me -- I'm working as fast as I can to wrap up these bugs.

Indeed!  And believe me, we are grateful, both to you and other huge contributors.  GHC is a pretty big enterprise.

The intention is not to pile on pressure, but rather to share information. .  No one is asking you to turn into superman/superwoman.   It’s just that are many people working together, so sharing info about what can and cannot get done by date X is helpful.  No more than that!

Simon