GHC staus

GHC - devs mailing list

Ben, Simon, and ghc-devs

I have to write slides for the GHC status talk in the Haskell Implementor’s meeting.

Usually we have

  1. Current status (current release)
  2. What’s cooking for the next release
  3. GHC community comments

As background we have

What would you put under (1-3)?  Anything you’d like to see highlighted?

GHC Sept16.pptx (806K) Download Attachment

Re: GHC staus

Ben Gamari-2
Simon Peyton Jones <[hidden email]> writes:

> Ben, Simon, and ghc-devs
> I have to write slides for the GHC status talk in the Haskell Implementor's meeting.
> Usually we have
>
>   1.  Current status (current release)

I think there is no shortage of things to say about 8.2. Lots of
features and numerous important bugfixes.

>   2.  What's cooking for the next release

Currently it is looking like 8.4.1 will be another cleanup release.
The only item I can think of beyond those listed on the status page is
the possibility of progress on #8809.

>   3.  GHC community comments

For what it's worth I'll be saying a few words about some of the
development infrastructure efforts that we've been undertaking. This
includes changes in release timing, our CI infrastructure and the status
of the proposal process. My time will be shared with Andrey, who will
share some words about the Hadrian merge and remaining tasks therein.

> As background we have
>
>   *   Our Apr 17 status page<https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/Apr17>
>   *   Our 8.2 release notes<https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.2.1/docs/html/users_guide/8.2.1-notes.html>
>   *   Our 8.4 status page<https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-8.4.1>
> What would you put under (1-3)?  Anything you'd like to see highlighted?

I'll respond with more as I think of them.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC staus

George Colpitts
inline

On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 11:06 AM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Simon Peyton Jones <[hidden email]> writes:

> Ben, Simon, and ghc-devs
> I have to write slides for the GHC status talk in the Haskell Implementor's meeting.
> Usually we have
>
>   1.  Current status (current release)

I think there is no shortage of things to say about 8.2. Lots of
features and numerous important bugfixes.

>   2.  What's cooking for the next release

Currently it is looking like 8.4.1 will be another cleanup release.
The only item I can think of beyond those listed on the status page is
the possibility of progress on #8809.

I believe there was a post on the Tweag IO blog suggesting linear types work might make 8.4.1. If not true it might be worth saying this is coming post 8.4.1 but I guess that's true of lots of things.

On the bug section of the status page it has "Implement Improved LLVM backend". It might be worth mentioning that in the highlights section if it is still on track.

>   3.  GHC community comments

For what it's worth I'll be saying a few words about some of the
development infrastructure efforts that we've been undertaking. This
includes changes in release timing, our CI infrastructure and the status
of the proposal process. My time will be shared with Andrey, who will
share some words about the Hadrian merge and remaining tasks therein.

> As background we have
>
>   *   Our Apr 17 status page<https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/Apr17>
>   *   Our 8.2 release notes<https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.2.1/docs/html/users_guide/8.2.1-notes.html>
>   *   Our 8.4 status page<https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-8.4.1>
> What would you put under (1-3)?  Anything you'd like to see highlighted?

I'll respond with more as I think of them.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC staus

Boespflug, Mathieu
Hi George,

>> Currently it is looking like 8.4.1 will be another cleanup release.
>> The only item I can think of beyond those listed on the status page is
>> the possibility of progress on #8809.
>

> I believe there was a post on the Tweag IO blog suggesting linear types work
> might make 8.4.1. If not true it might be worth saying this is coming post
> 8.4.1 but I guess that's true of lots of things.

That would depend on several things:

1. the target date for GHC 8.4. Major releases used to be spaced by
about a year in between them. But there has been discussion of
substantially shorter release cycles. Ben, has a target date for GHC
8.4 been set yet?
2. whether -XLinearTypes as proposed (it hasn't yet!) gets accepted by
the GHC proposals committee.
3. whether, once the branch is ready, it passes review and the release
manager deems the branch stable enough to be merged into the next
release branch.

Great to see interest regarding this in-development language extension!

Best,

--
Mathieu Boespflug
Founder at http://tweag.io.

Re: GHC staus

Richard Eisenberg-4
Might implication constraints make it in time for 8.4?

And I believe two of Stephanie's students (with some guidance from yours truly) are working on visible kind application and visible type patterns, respectively. But I have no idea about the timeline.

I'm not personally planning anything new and shiny. More bugfixes. Finally fixing #8095 (removing coercions).

I'm toying with the idea of getting underway at implementing a dependent Core language, but it certainly won't make it for 8.4.

Richard

> On Sep 3, 2017, at 3:52 PM, Boespflug, Mathieu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi George,
>
>>> Currently it is looking like 8.4.1 will be another cleanup release.
>>> The only item I can think of beyond those listed on the status page is
>>> the possibility of progress on #8809.
>>

>> I believe there was a post on the Tweag IO blog suggesting linear types work
>> might make 8.4.1. If not true it might be worth saying this is coming post
>> 8.4.1 but I guess that's true of lots of things.
>
> That would depend on several things:
>
> 1. the target date for GHC 8.4. Major releases used to be spaced by
> about a year in between them. But there has been discussion of
> substantially shorter release cycles. Ben, has a target date for GHC
> 8.4 been set yet?
> 2. whether -XLinearTypes as proposed (it hasn't yet!) gets accepted by
> the GHC proposals committee.
> 3. whether, once the branch is ready, it passes review and the release
> manager deems the branch stable enough to be merged into the next
> release branch.
>
> Great to see interest regarding this in-development language extension!
>
> Best,
>
> --
> Mathieu Boespflug
> Founder at http://tweag.io.

Re: GHC staus

Oleg Grenrus
I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but GHC-8.4 will bundle text, mtl
and parsec.

- Oleg

On 03.09.2017 16:15, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs wrote:

> Ben, Simon, and ghc-devs
>
> I have to write slides for the GHC status talk in the Haskell
> Implementor’s meeting.
>
> Usually we have
>
>  1. Current status (current release)
>  2. What’s cooking for the next release
>  3. GHC community comments
>
> As background we have
>
>   * Our Apr 17 status page
>     <https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/Apr17>
>   * Our 8.2 release notes
>     <https://downloads.haskell.org/%7Eghc/8.2.1/docs/html/users_guide/8.2.1-notes.html>
>   * Our 8.4 status page
>     <https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-8.4.1>
>
> What would you put under (1-3)?  Anything you’d like to see highlighted?
>
> Simon

Re: GHC staus

Iavor Diatchki
Hello,

Trevor Elliott and I have been slowly working on implementing Simon M's  "Mutable Constructor Fields" proposal [1].

The current state of the code is here:

I am not sure if this would be ready in time for 8.4 as I don't know what the time-line looks like, and also, the actual proposal is still in the process of being reviewed by the GHC committee.

-Iavor

On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 2:15 PM Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ben, Simon, and ghc-devs

I have to write slides for the GHC status talk in the Haskell Implementor’s meeting.

Usually we have

  1. Current status (current release)
  2. What’s cooking for the next release
  3. GHC community comments

As background we have

What would you put under (1-3)?  Anything you’d like to see highlighted?

Re: GHC staus

Moritz Angermann-2
Hi,

not sure if this is noteworthy:

The following is or will hopefully make(*) it
into 8.4 as well

- (1) iserv-remote (run iserv on a remote device over the network)
- (2) arm / aarch64 linker for elf and mach-o
- (3*) `-staticlib` support for Linux and BSD derivatives (was darwin only):
- (4*) `-llvmng` new llvm bitcode code gen
- (5*) refactored llvm pipeline

This essentially is all part of making GHC natively
support cross compiling (including support for Template Haskell) to android/iOS/RaspberryPi.

I hope to give a lighting talk around those, if I get a slot.

Cheers,
 Moritz

Sent from my iPhone

On 4 Sep 2017, at 8:01 AM, Iavor Diatchki <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Manuel M T Chakravarty-4
+1 for a lighting talk on that! (You can tell the organisers that ;)

Also, we should make sure to meet and talk about cross-compilation and GHC for iOS :)

Manuel

Moritz Angermann <[hidden email]>:

[...]

I'm around all week. I actually do have remote ghci on my todo list ;-)

Cheers,
 Moritz
Sent from my iPhone