Getting Involved

Blair Archibald
Hi,

I'm looking to get involved working on GHC - I've been using Haskell for
quite a while now and thought I'd give back to the community.

Bit about me: I'm Blair an (4th year) Undergraduate at the University of
Glasgow and my main interests at the moment are Functional Programming,
Runtime systems (mainly memory management/GC work) and Transactional Memory
(making GHC a great place to be!)

I've noticed that there is talk of adding a better flags parser to the RTS
and this seems like a good place to start (less likely to break things!).
Ticket: #4243

Is anyone currently working in this area or have plans to start work in
this area?

Many thanks,
Blair
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Getting Involved

Jan Stolarek
Hi Blair,

have you seen this page on the wiki: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Newcomers ? It should
help you get started and give you some alternative ideas on tickets worth picking up.

Janek

Dnia pi?tek, 29 listopada 2013, Blair Archibald napisa?:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to get involved working on GHC - I've been using Haskell for
> quite a while now and thought I'd give back to the community.
>
> Bit about me: I'm Blair an (4th year) Undergraduate at the University of
> Glasgow and my main interests at the moment are Functional Programming,
> Runtime systems (mainly memory management/GC work) and Transactional Memory
> (making GHC a great place to be!)
>
> I've noticed that there is talk of adding a better flags parser to the RTS
> and this seems like a good place to start (less likely to break things!).
> Ticket: #4243
>
> Is anyone currently working in this area or have plans to start work in
> this area?
>

> Many thanks,
> Blair

Getting Involved

Mateusz Kowalczyk
On 29/11/13 20:29, Jan Stolarek wrote:
> Hi Blair,
>
> have you seen this page on the wiki: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Newcomers ? It should
> help you get started and give you some alternative ideas on tickets worth picking up.
>
> Janek

I mentioned this recently in #ghc but that page is _really_ hard to find
on the Wiki and unless you know it exists, you're not going to have seen
it. If possible, could someone put it in a more visible place? I realise
that it's on the WorkingConventions page (only now I realise this) but
perhaps a direct link in the sidebar or maybe even a link on the front
page in Developer Documentation section would be appropriate!

Mateusz K.

Getting Involved

Carter Schonwald
That's a good idea.  Herberto (hvr on #ghc)
Is the expert on matters related to trac, but you might be able to edit the
wiki yourself.

On Friday, November 29, 2013, Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:

> On 29/11/13 20:29, Jan Stolarek wrote:
> > Hi Blair,
> >
> > have you seen this page on the wiki:
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Newcomers ? It should
> > help you get started and give you some alternative ideas on tickets
> worth picking up.
> >
> > Janek
> >

> I mentioned this recently in #ghc but that page is _really_ hard to find
> on the Wiki and unless you know it exists, you're not going to have seen
> it. If possible, could someone put it in a more visible place? I realise
> that it's on the WorkingConventions page (only now I realise this) but
> perhaps a direct link in the sidebar or maybe even a link on the front
> page in Developer Documentation section would be appropriate!
>
> --
> Mateusz K.

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Getting Involved

Jan Stolarek
> perhaps a direct link in the sidebar or maybe even a link on the front
> page in Developer Documentation section would be appropriate!
I added link to Newcomers page at the main page of Commentary. Don't have the permissions to add
it to the sidebar though.

Janek

Getting Involved

Jan Stolarek
Herbert, Austin,

right, I didn't notice link to Newcomers is on the "Working on GHC" page. I rearranged it slightly
by reversing first three steps. So link to Newcomers is now first on the list and I think it
might stay that way. Link to "Working on GHC" is also in the second paragraph of the main wiki
page, so I think we're good.

As for the sidebar I'm using it on a regular basis although I feel some links could be removed:
Documentation -> Repositories; Debugging; View Tickets -> By Milestone; By OS; By Architecture;
But that's only my opinion - I'm CCing ghc-devs so others can chime in. If we could somehow track
how often each link is used that could be a valuable information. Not sure if it can be done.

Janek

Dnia niedziela, 1 grudnia 2013, Herbert Valerio Riedel napisa?:

> On 2013-12-01 at 09:00:21 +0100, Jan Stolarek wrote:
> >> perhaps a direct link in the sidebar or maybe even a link on the front
> >> page in Developer Documentation section would be appropriate!
> >
> > I added link to Newcomers page at the main page of Commentary.
>
> btw, I'm confused a bit... there's already a rather obvious
>
> "Joining In"->"Working on GHC" link in the side-bar, which points to
>
>   https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WorkingConventions
>
> which then points you to the steps that are expected from newcomers,
> including the 'Newcomers' page as the 3rd step; once could maybe just
> add more emphasis to the 3rd step so that it visually stands out better
> (e.g. via [2] or [3])
>
> I'm just worried that cluttering the side-bar[1] with a redundant link
> may make it less useful.
>
> > Don't have the permissions to add it to the sidebar though.
>
> ...the reason is btw, that it's a hacked in HTML fragment that's part of
> the custom Trac stylesheet mod for GHC; it can't be edited via the
> web-UI.
>

>  [1]: which, personally, I find kinda overloaded and redundant which
>       makes me wonder if it's really that useful in its current form;
>

>  [2]: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WikiBoxes
>
>  [3]: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WikiIcons

Getting Involved

Simon Marlow-7
On 01/12/2013 08:53, Jan Stolarek wrote:

> Herbert, Austin,
>
> right, I didn't notice link to Newcomers is on the "Working on GHC" page. I rearranged it slightly
> by reversing first three steps. So link to Newcomers is now first on the list and I think it
> might stay that way. Link to "Working on GHC" is also in the second paragraph of the main wiki
> page, so I think we're good.
>
> As for the sidebar I'm using it on a regular basis although I feel some links could be removed:
> Documentation -> Repositories; Debugging; View Tickets -> By Milestone; By OS; By Architecture;
> But that's only my opinion - I'm CCing ghc-devs so others can chime in. If we could somehow track
> how often each link is used that could be a valuable information. Not sure if it can be done.

The problem with Repositories is that it doesn't live under one of the 4
main hierarchies (Building, Commentary, Debugging, WorkingConventions),
so finding it is a bit tricky.  I've just added a link to it from the
top WorkingConventions page so that should help.  I think perhaps it
ought to be moved under WorkingConventions/Repositories.

I don't know about other people, but the way I most commonly query
tickets is from the Roadmap page: pick a milestone and click on "active
tickets".

> Janek

>>> I added link to Newcomers page at the main page of Commentary.
>>
>> btw, I'm confused a bit... there's already a rather obvious
>>
>> "Joining In"->"Working on GHC" link in the side-bar, which points to
>>
>>    https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WorkingConventions
>>
>> which then points you to the steps that are expected from newcomers,
>> including the 'Newcomers' page as the 3rd step; once could maybe just
>> add more emphasis to the 3rd step so that it visually stands out better
>> (e.g. via [2] or [3])
>>
>> I'm just worried that cluttering the side-bar[1] with a redundant link
>> may make it less useful.
>>
>>> Don't have the permissions to add it to the sidebar though.
>>
>> ...the reason is btw, that it's a hacked in HTML fragment that's part of
>> the custom Trac stylesheet mod for GHC; it can't be edited via the
>> web-UI.
>>

>>   [1]: which, personally, I find kinda overloaded and redundant which
>>        makes me wonder if it's really that useful in its current form;
>>

>>   [2]: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WikiBoxes
>>
>>   [3]: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WikiIcons

Getting Involved

Simon Peyton Jones
Blair

Great. We always need more people to help.  Do get stuck in, and yell if you need help.  Thanks!

Simon

On 29/11/13 12:39, Blair Archibald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to get involved working on GHC - I've been using Haskell for
> quite a while now and thought I'd give back to the community.
>
> Bit about me: I'm Blair an (4th year) Undergraduate at the University of
> Glasgow and my main interests at the moment are Functional Programming,
> Runtime systems (mainly memory management/GC work) and Transactional
> Memory (making GHC a great place to be!)

As I mentioned on the Haskell Cast, there is plenty of scope for
speeding up STM in particular.  One problem with getting started though
is that we don't have a good benchmark suite, and any well-tuned
programs that use STM will already be avoiding the known issues (like
sensitivity to the size of transactions).  The C/C++ STM community has
some good benchmarks, e.g. http://stamp.stanford.edu/, I think it would
be great to translate some of these to Haskell, and then use them as a
starting point to look for ways to optimise the implementation.  There's
also a rather large literature on optimising STM for C/C++, some of
which is probably useful.

> I've noticed that there is talk of adding a better flags parser to the
> RTS and this seems like a good place to start (less likely to break
> things!). Ticket: #4243
>
> Is anyone currently working in this area or have plans to start work in
> this area?

There was someone else looking at it... I forget who.  Try searching the
archives.

Getting Involved

Jan Stolarek
> > I've noticed that there is talk of adding a better flags parser to the
> > RTS and this seems like a good place to start (less likely to break
> > things!). Ticket: #4243
> >
> > Is anyone currently working in this area or have plans to start work in
> > this area?
>
> There was someone else looking at it... I forget who.  Try searching the
> archives.
I recall that when I was starting with GHC I considered working on this. Improving flag parser
sounds like a good first step for a beginner because: a) it is precisly localized in one place
(more or less); b) it doesn't require deep theoretical knowledge.

Janek