Getting source code

Richard G.
Hello

I'm trying to get the source code for development purposes (helping add
some Haddock documentation for TH).  I tried following the steps listed on
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/GettingTheSources and
ran into trouble.

I downloaded ghc-HEAD-2007-08-29-ghc-corelibs-testsuite.tar.bz2 and
continued through the steps.  On step 3, I received an error message from
darcs:
$ darcs pull -a
Pulling from "http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc"...
This is the GHC darcs repository (HEAD branch)

For more information, visit the GHC developer wiki at
  http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc
**********************
darcs: getCurrentDirectory: resource exhausted (Too many open files)

I tried using darcs get but I think I ran into the same case issue as on
Windows:
$ darcs get http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc
This is the GHC darcs repository (HEAD branch)

For more information, visit the GHC developer wiki at
  http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc
**********************
Copying patch 17349 of 17349... done.
Applying patch 12 of 17349... Unapplicable patch:
Thu Jan 11 07:26:13 MST 1996  partain
  * [project @ 1996-01-11 14:06:51 by partain]

darcs failed:  Error applying hunk to file ./ghc/includes/rtsTypes.lh

I'm using GHC 6.6.1 (binary distribution) and darcs 1.0.9 (can't remember
if it's binary distribution or if I compiled it myself) on Mac OS X
10.4.10 for Intel.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

Re: Getting source code

Richard G.
I figured out a way to work around it.

Instead of pulling all patches at once, I pulled 100 at a time.

Instead of using "darcs pull -a" in step 3, I used "darcs pull".  I held
down "y" until about 100 or so patches were accepted and then hit "d" to
stop applying patches.  After doing this 6 times, all patches were
installed.

It would be nice to have the issue corrected, if possible, or have it
documented on the developer page.  It would also be nice to have the
case issue with Mac OS X document, as recent file systems have been
case-insensitive for a while.

Should I add this info to the page?  I'm not sure what the policy is
around wiki edits.

Richard

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm trying to get the source code for development purposes (helping add
> some Haddock documentation for TH).  I tried following the steps listed on
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/GettingTheSources and
> ran into trouble.
>
> I downloaded ghc-HEAD-2007-08-29-ghc-corelibs-testsuite.tar.bz2 and
> continued through the steps.  On step 3, I received an error message from
> darcs:
> $ darcs pull -a
> Pulling from "http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc"...
> This is the GHC darcs repository (HEAD branch)
>
> For more information, visit the GHC developer wiki at
>   http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc
> **********************
> darcs: getCurrentDirectory: resource exhausted (Too many open files)
>

> I tried using darcs get but I think I ran into the same case issue as on
> Windows:
> $ darcs get http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc
> This is the GHC darcs repository (HEAD branch)
>
> For more information, visit the GHC developer wiki at
>   http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc
> **********************
> Copying patch 17349 of 17349... done.
> Applying patch 12 of 17349... Unapplicable patch:
> Thu Jan 11 07:26:13 MST 1996  partain
>   * [project @ 1996-01-11 14:06:51 by partain]
>
> darcs failed:  Error applying hunk to file ./ghc/includes/rtsTypes.lh
>

> I'm using GHC 6.6.1 (binary distribution) and darcs 1.0.9 (can't remember
> if it's binary distribution or if I compiled it myself) on Mac OS X
> 10.4.10 for Intel.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

RE: Getting source code

Simon Peyton Jones
I've updated the "Getting the GHC sources page" -- you might want to check I got it right. http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/GettingTheSources In general, though, yes it's a Wiki and you are not only welcome but positively encouraged to make it more helpful.  So go right ahead.

Simon

Re: Getting source code

Wolfram Kahl
 > It would also be nice to have the
 > case issue with Mac OS X document, as recent file systems have been
 > case-insensitive for a while.

Just a quick note: At Mac OS X install time
(or other file system creation time)
you can choose case sensitivity for HPFS+
(the default file system on Mac OS X).

Wolfram