Quantcast

Getting started on Mac OSX

hstenstrom
I have a book on Haskell, and I've downloaded and installed Haskell Platform for Mac OS X. What do I do now?
XCode is a requirement, and I have it, but I don't know how to run it. To begin with, I want to test small examples from the book, using ghc or ghci. I have read file:///Library/Haskell/doc/start.html.

- Where is the software I've just installed?
- How is ghci started? Or the "platform", whatever that is?

Many thanks if you can help me!

Helge

Re: Getting started on Mac OSX

Sunny Basi
Try going into your terminal and typing ghci or ghc
CLI is usually the common way of accessing ghc and ghci. I haven't installed the platform on my mac yet so I dont know any sort of ui is provided. Writing your code in xcode and then compiling via terminal isn't all that bad, you'll get used to it. Same with using ghci, i believe. Shouldn't be all that bad on the terminal.

Regards,
Sunny

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 2:10 AM, hstenstrom <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a book on Haskell, and I've downloaded and installed Haskell Platform
for Mac OS X. What do I do now?
XCode is a requirement, and I have it, but I don't know how to run it. To
begin with, I want to test small examples from the book, using ghc or ghci.
I have read file:///Library/Haskell/doc/start.html.

- Where is the software I've just installed?
- How is ghci started? Or the "platform", whatever that is?

Many thanks if you can help me!

Helge

Re: Getting started on Mac OSX

Sunny Basi
Addendum:
You might want to check out some the resources available at http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Mac_OS_X

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 2:46 AM, Sunny Basi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Donn Cave-4
Quoth hstenstrom <[hidden email]>,

> I have a book on Haskell, and I've downloaded and installed Haskell Platform
> for Mac OS X. What do I do now?
> XCode is a requirement, and I have it, but I don't know how to run it. To
> begin with, I want to test small examples from the book, using ghc or ghci.
> I have read file:///Library/Haskell/doc/start.html.
>
> - Where is the software I've just installed?
> - How is ghci started? Or the "platform", whatever that is?

The location of the software is covered in /Library/Haskell/doc/start.html.
The key point is that the executables - like ghci - are in your path
via /usr/bin.  What they mean by "should be available in any shell", is
that when you run Terminal, you can just type "ghci" at the prompt.

Terminal may be hiding in Applications/Utilities.  Apple clearly
underestimates the value of this application for its users, but you
won't - you're going to be using Terminal a lot, for GHC.  You need
XCode only because GHC needs its compiler and libraries, you won't
use XCode directly yourself just to run examples from the book.

        Donn

Re: Getting started on Mac OSX

hstenstrom
Thank you for the help! I've found the terminal, and ghci works from there. So far, I have had very little time to try ghci, but at least I'm started now!

Helge