Gitlab pain

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gitlab pain

GHC - devs mailing list

I’m getting lost in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

I’m looking at

https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/10#note_1877

and

https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/10

 

But the note in the former starting “Another module should reference the symbol…” doesn’t show up in the latter, anywhere. 

How can I see the current state of play on this MR, the ground truth?

Simon


_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gitlab pain

Richard Eisenberg-4
GitLab groups posts on lines in MRs as "discussions". A discussion can be *resolved*. When it is resolved, the discussion is collapsed by default when you view the MR. The particular comment you're seeking can be found on the MR if you open the discussion you started at 10:04am this morning (GMT) and that Gabor closed at 2:10pm this afternoon. (I'm already missing comment numbers like in Trac.)

I'm still learning my way around, too, so correct me (anyone) if there's a better way to describe all this.

Richard

On Jan 4, 2019, at 11:19 AM, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’m getting lost in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

I’m looking at

https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/10#note_1877

and

https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/10

 

But the note in the former starting “Another module should reference the symbol…” doesn’t show up in the latter, anywhere. 

How can I see the current state of play on this MR, the ground truth?

Simon

_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs


_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Gitlab pain

GHC - devs mailing list

Thanks.  But I cannot work out

  • How to find this “collapsed” discussion
  • How to un-collapse it
  • How to search for stuff in collapsed discussions. (Finding them one at a time, uncollapsing, and searching, seems wrong.)  How can I un-collapse everything?

Simon

 

 

From: Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
Sent: 04 January 2019 16:26
To: Simon Peyton Jones <[hidden email]>
Cc: ghc-devs <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Gitlab pain

 

GitLab groups posts on lines in MRs as "discussions". A discussion can be *resolved*. When it is resolved, the discussion is collapsed by default when you view the MR. The particular comment you're seeking can be found on the MR if you open the discussion you started at 10:04am this morning (GMT) and that Gabor closed at 2:10pm this afternoon. (I'm already missing comment numbers like in Trac.)

 

I'm still learning my way around, too, so correct me (anyone) if there's a better way to describe all this.

 

Richard



On Jan 4, 2019, at 11:19 AM, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> wrote:

 

I’m getting lost in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

I’m looking at

https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/10#note_1877

and

https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/10

 

But the note in the former starting “Another module should reference the symbol…” doesn’t show up in the latter, anywhere. 

How can I see the current state of play on this MR, the ground truth?

Simon

_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

 


_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gitlab pain

Evan Laforge
In reply to this post by Richard Eisenberg-4
The diff in https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/10/diffs
is the ground truth for the source code.  However, it's not ground
truth for comments.  You only get to see the ones attached to the
revisions selected in "Changes between x and y", which means they tend
to get lost.  The Discussion tab is ground truth for comments in that
you won't miss any if you look through it, but it gets cluttered.
There should be a "skip to first unresolved comment" button, which
helps.  I wish it let you cycle them instead of always going to the
first.  But the discussion tab is not good for seeing what the change
being discussed actually is, so you have to go back to Changes, at
which point you lose your place in Discussion.

If anyone knows a better way to do comments I'd also like to know... I
use gitlab at work and find it pretty awkward for medium-and-up sized
reviews.

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 12:25 AM Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> GitLab groups posts on lines in MRs as "discussions". A discussion can be *resolved*. When it is resolved, the discussion is collapsed by default when you view the MR. The particular comment you're seeking can be found on the MR if you open the discussion you started at 10:04am this morning (GMT) and that Gabor closed at 2:10pm this afternoon. (I'm already missing comment numbers like in Trac.)
>
> I'm still learning my way around, too, so correct me (anyone) if there's a better way to describe all this.
>
> Richard
>
> On Jan 4, 2019, at 11:19 AM, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m getting lost in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
>
> I’m looking at
>
> https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/10#note_1877
>
> and
>
> https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/10
>
>
>
> But the note in the former starting “Another module should reference the symbol…” doesn’t show up in the latter, anywhere.
>
> How can I see the current state of play on this MR, the ground truth?
>
> Simon
>
> _______________________________________________
> ghc-devs mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> ghc-devs mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Gitlab pain

GHC - devs mailing list
|  The Discussion tab is ground truth for comments in that you won't miss any
|  if you look through it, but it gets cluttered.

Apparently not.  Check out
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/10
and search for "Another module should reference the symbol" which is definitely in a comment.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Simon

|  -----Original Message-----
|  From: Evan Laforge <[hidden email]>
|  Sent: 04 January 2019 17:13
|  To: Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
|  Cc: Simon Peyton Jones <[hidden email]>; ghc-devs <ghc-
|  [hidden email]>
|  Subject: Re: Gitlab pain
|  
|  The diff in
|  https://nam06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgitlab.ha
|  skell.org%2Fghc%2Fghc%2Fmerge_requests%2F10%2Fdiffs&amp;data=02%7C01%7Csimo
|  npj%40microsoft.com%7C13d19e5c0e4c4398715a08d67267f643%7C72f988bf86f141af91
|  ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636822188176178183&amp;sdata=wJWw5HxSWePGKWWZYEPbr
|  dWrhADmIWHalekobnEgiTo%3D&amp;reserved=0
|  is the ground truth for the source code.  However, it's not ground truth
|  for comments.  You only get to see the ones attached to the revisions
|  selected in "Changes between x and y", which means they tend to get lost.
|  The Discussion tab is ground truth for comments in that you won't miss any
|  if you look through it, but it gets cluttered.
|  There should be a "skip to first unresolved comment" button, which helps.
|  I wish it let you cycle them instead of always going to the first.  But the
|  discussion tab is not good for seeing what the change being discussed
|  actually is, so you have to go back to Changes, at which point you lose
|  your place in Discussion.
|  
|  If anyone knows a better way to do comments I'd also like to know... I use
|  gitlab at work and find it pretty awkward for medium-and-up sized reviews.
|  
|  On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 12:25 AM Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
|  wrote:
|  >
|  > GitLab groups posts on lines in MRs as "discussions". A discussion can
|  > be *resolved*. When it is resolved, the discussion is collapsed by
|  > default when you view the MR. The particular comment you're seeking
|  > can be found on the MR if you open the discussion you started at
|  > 10:04am this morning (GMT) and that Gabor closed at 2:10pm this
|  > afternoon. (I'm already missing comment numbers like in Trac.)
|  >
|  > I'm still learning my way around, too, so correct me (anyone) if there's
|  a better way to describe all this.
|  >
|  > Richard
|  >
|  > On Jan 4, 2019, at 11:19 AM, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <ghc-
|  [hidden email]> wrote:
|  >
|  > I’m getting lost in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
|  >
|  > I’m looking at
|  >
|  > https://nam06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgitl
|  > ab.haskell.org%2Fghc%2Fghc%2Fmerge_requests%2F10%23note_1877&amp;data=
|  > 02%7C01%7Csimonpj%40microsoft.com%7C13d19e5c0e4c4398715a08d67267f643%7
|  > C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636822188176178183&amp;sda
|  > ta=ht6hBYw5rfjSMmpYsmwNnyhxEvHIdjyy%2FLqA2FB1dC8%3D&amp;reserved=0
|  >
|  > and
|  >
|  > https://nam06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgitl
|  > ab.haskell.org%2Fghc%2Fghc%2Fmerge_requests%2F10&amp;data=02%7C01%7Csi
|  > monpj%40microsoft.com%7C13d19e5c0e4c4398715a08d67267f643%7C72f988bf86f
|  > 141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636822188176188191&amp;sdata=1N2eoL7dC
|  > 8ElWQ6zyAW4wXBQcaRv4bCk%2FnrrKS%2BlLfI%3D&amp;reserved=0
|  >
|  >
|  >
|  > But the note in the former starting “Another module should reference the
|  symbol…” doesn’t show up in the latter, anywhere.
|  >
|  > How can I see the current state of play on this MR, the ground truth?
|  >
|  > Simon
|  >
|  > _______________________________________________
|  > ghc-devs mailing list
|  > [hidden email]
|  > https://nam06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.
|  > haskell.org%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fghc-devs&amp;data=02%7C01
|  > %7Csimonpj%40microsoft.com%7C13d19e5c0e4c4398715a08d67267f643%7C72f988
|  > bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636822188176188191&amp;sdata=PJj9
|  > 2UnmQNNeCFVTt1d8XWSVCcuSAalMJsq152DEfqA%3D&amp;reserved=0
|  >
|  >
|  > _______________________________________________
|  > ghc-devs mailing list
|  > [hidden email]
|  > https://nam06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.
|  > haskell.org%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fghc-devs&amp;data=02%7C01
|  > %7Csimonpj%40microsoft.com%7C13d19e5c0e4c4398715a08d67267f643%7C72f988
|  > bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636822188176188191&amp;sdata=PJj9
|  > 2UnmQNNeCFVTt1d8XWSVCcuSAalMJsq152DEfqA%3D&amp;reserved=0
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Gitlab pain

Ben Gamari-2
Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> writes:

> |  The Discussion tab is ground truth for comments in that you won't miss any
> |  if you look through it, but it gets cluttered.
>
> Apparently not.  Check out
> https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/10
> and search for "Another module should reference the symbol" which is definitely in a comment.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something.
>
My apologies for the slow reply. I've been a bit under the weather this
week; there has been a lot of time spent on the couch.

As mentioned by others, discussions that have been marked as "resolved"
are collapsed by default. If you search for the text "Toggle discussion"
you will find that the collapsed discussions have link on their
right-hand side which you can click on to expand the hidden comments.

Cheers,

- Ben


_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

signature.asc (497 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gitlab pain

Brandon Allbery
On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 1:02 PM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
As mentioned by others, discussions that have been marked as "resolved"
are collapsed by default. If you search for the text "Toggle discussion"
you will find that the collapsed discussions have link on their
right-hand side which you can click on to expand the hidden comments.

The problem there being there's a lot of such, and no way to tell which one is relevant unless you have both original links and enough context. Finding stuff like that absent context doesn't look at all easy. :/

--
brandon s allbery kf8nh

_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gitlab pain

Ben Gamari-3
Quite right. I will bring this up with upstream.

On January 4, 2019 1:04:43 PM EST, Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 1:02 PM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
As mentioned by others, discussions that have been marked as "resolved"
are collapsed by default. If you search for the text "Toggle discussion"
you will find that the collapsed discussions have link on their
right-hand side which you can click on to expand the hidden comments.

The problem there being there's a lot of such, and no way to tell which one is relevant unless you have both original links and enough context. Finding stuff like that absent context doesn't look at all easy. :/

--
brandon s allbery kf8nh

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gitlab pain

Artem Pelenitsyn
It seems you'd want the "Toggle All" button. There is an issue for that:


There is even a beautiful workaround given there with typing the following command in the JavaScript console in a browser:
$(".discussion-toggle-button:has(i.fa-chevron-down)").click()
After that, indeed, I could Ctrl+F the phrase referenced by Simon ("Another module should reference the symbol") while before I could not.

--
Best, Artem

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 at 21:48 Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Quite right. I will bring this up with upstream.

On January 4, 2019 1:04:43 PM EST, Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 1:02 PM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
As mentioned by others, discussions that have been marked as "resolved"
are collapsed by default. If you search for the text "Toggle discussion"
you will find that the collapsed discussions have link on their
right-hand side which you can click on to expand the hidden comments.

The problem there being there's a lot of such, and no way to tell which one is relevant unless you have both original links and enough context. Finding stuff like that absent context doesn't look at all easy. :/

--
brandon s allbery kf8nh

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gitlab pain

Ben Gamari-3


On January 4, 2019 2:17:45 PM EST, Artem Pelenitsyn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>It seems you'd want the "Toggle All" button. There is an issue for
>that:
>
>https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/19149
>

Precisely. Thank you for finding this.

Cheers,

- Ben

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gitlab pain

Gabor Greif-2
In reply to this post by Artem Pelenitsyn
I have just tried putting following URL into the discussion tab's URL bar

     javascript: $(".discussion-toggle-button:has(i.fa-chevron-down)").click()

and it seems to work.

Cheers,

    Gabor

On 1/4/19, Artem Pelenitsyn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It seems you'd want the "Toggle All" button. There is an issue for that:
>
> https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/19149
>
> There is even a beautiful workaround given there with typing the following
> command in the JavaScript console in a browser:
> $(".discussion-toggle-button:has(i.fa-chevron-down)").click()
> After that, indeed, I could Ctrl+F the phrase referenced by Simon ("Another
> module should reference the symbol") while before I could not.
>
> --
> Best, Artem
>
> On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 at 21:48 Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Quite right. I will bring this up with upstream.
>>
>> On January 4, 2019 1:04:43 PM EST, Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 1:02 PM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> As mentioned by others, discussions that have been marked as "resolved"
>>>> are collapsed by default. If you search for the text "Toggle
>>>> discussion"
>>>> you will find that the collapsed discussions have link on their
>>>> right-hand side which you can click on to expand the hidden comments.
>>>>
>>>
>>> The problem there being there's a lot of such, and no way to tell which
>>> one is relevant unless you have both original links and enough context.
>>> Finding stuff like that absent context doesn't look at all easy. :/
>>>
>>> --
>>> brandon s allbery kf8nh
>>> [hidden email]
>>>
>>
>> --
>> Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
>> _______________________________________________
>> ghc-devs mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
>>
>
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs