Goals for GHC 8.8

Ben Gamari-3
Hi everyone,

Since GHC 8.6 is almost released it's time to start thinking about our
goals for 8.8, which will branch in November. I have added the items
that I know are in-flight to the 8.8 status page[1]. If you have a
project that you would like to see present in 8.8 then please do add it
as well.

If you are uncertain of whether you can have a patch up for review by
late October then please do speak to me and we can discuss options.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-8.8.1

Re: Goals for GHC 8.8

Wolfgang Jeltsch-3
Hi!

What happened to LinearTypes? Will it be in GHC 8.8?

All the best,
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Jeltsch <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi!
>
> What happened to LinearTypes? Will it be in GHC 8.8?

It's unclear; the proposal authors (Arnaud is CC'd) will need to comment
here.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: Goals for GHC 8.8

Mathieu Boespflug-3
The proposal would need to be accepted by the GHC Steering Committee first before that happens.

Best,

--
Mathieu Boespflug
Founder at http://tweag.io.

Mathieu Boespflug <[hidden email]> writes:

> The proposal would need to be accepted by the GHC Steering Committee first
> before that happens.

Absolutely; I just wasn't sure whether you were considering pushing for
merge in the event that it was accepted.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: Goals for GHC 8.8

Wolfgang Jeltsch-3
Right. My understanding from looking at https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/111 is that the discussion about this proposal is generally moving forward and doesn’t have died. Is this understanding correct?

All the best,
Wolfgang

Am Dienstag, den 21.08.2018, 16:47 +0200 schrieb Mathieu Boespflug:
The proposal would need to be accepted by the GHC Steering Committee first before that happens.

Best,

--
Mathieu Boespflug
Founder at http://tweag.io.

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 at 16:44, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wolfgang Jeltsch <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi!
>
> What happened to LinearTypes? Will it be in GHC 8.8?

It's unclear; the proposal authors (Arnaud is CC'd) will need to comment
here.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: Goals for GHC 8.8

Mathieu Boespflug-3
Hi Ben,

yes - as for the implementation of the linear types extension, we're aiming for the submission of a Diff before the 8.8 branch is cut. (If the Committee has given the green light by then, of course.)

Best,

--
Mathieu Boespflug
Founder at http://tweag.io.