Goals for GHC 8.8

Ben Gamari-3
Hi everyone,

Since GHC 8.6 is almost released it's time to start thinking about our
goals for 8.8, which will branch in November. I have added the items
that I know are in-flight to the 8.8 status page[1]. If you have a
project that you would like to see present in 8.8 then please do add it
as well.

If you are uncertain of whether you can have a patch up for review by
late October then please do speak to me and we can discuss options.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-8.8.1

Re: Goals for GHC 8.8

Wolfgang Jeltsch-3
Hi!

What happened to LinearTypes? Will it be in GHC 8.8?

All the best,
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Jeltsch <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi!
>
> What happened to LinearTypes? Will it be in GHC 8.8?

It's unclear; the proposal authors (Arnaud is CC'd) will need to comment
here.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: Goals for GHC 8.8

Boespflug, Mathieu
The proposal would need to be accepted by the GHC Steering Committee first before that happens.

Best,

--
Mathieu Boespflug
Founder at http://tweag.io.

Mathieu Boespflug <[hidden email]> writes:

> The proposal would need to be accepted by the GHC Steering Committee first
> before that happens.

Absolutely; I just wasn't sure whether you were considering pushing for
merge in the event that it was accepted.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: Goals for GHC 8.8

Wolfgang Jeltsch-3
Right. My understanding from looking at https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/111 is that the discussion about this proposal is generally moving forward and doesn’t have died. Is this understanding correct?

All the best,
Wolfgang

Am Dienstag, den 21.08.2018, 16:47 +0200 schrieb Mathieu Boespflug:
The proposal would need to be accepted by the GHC Steering Committee first before that happens.

Best,

--
Mathieu Boespflug
Founder at http://tweag.io.

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 at 16:44, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wolfgang Jeltsch <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi!
>
> What happened to LinearTypes? Will it be in GHC 8.8?

It's unclear; the proposal authors (Arnaud is CC'd) will need to comment
here.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: Goals for GHC 8.8

Boespflug, Mathieu
Hi Ben,

yes - as for the implementation of the linear types extension, we're aiming for the submission of a Diff before the 8.8 branch is cut. (If the Committee has given the green light by then, of course.)

Best,

--
Mathieu Boespflug
Founder at http://tweag.io.

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 at 21:34, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mathieu Boespflug <[hidden email]> writes:

> The proposal would need to be accepted by the GHC Steering Committee first
> before that happens.

Absolutely; I just wasn't sure whether you were considering pushing for
merge in the event that it was accepted.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: Goals for GHC 8.8

Boespflug, Mathieu
Hi Ben,

just a heads up: we are still on track for a Diff submission for linear types by end of October (the cut-off date you advertized at the top of this thread for feature work on GHC 8.8, and the one we stated we'd aim for in September). We might run into last minute blockers of course, but so far so good.

I've been told that we'll be hearing from the Committee before then about acceptance or rejection of the proposal.

Best,

--
Mathieu Boespflug
Founder at http://tweag.io.

On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 15:46, Boespflug, Mathieu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ben,

yes - as for the implementation of the linear types extension, we're aiming for the submission of a Diff before the 8.8 branch is cut. (If the Committee has given the green light by then, of course.)

Best,

--
Mathieu Boespflug
Founder at http://tweag.io.

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 at 21:34, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mathieu Boespflug <[hidden email]> writes:

> The proposal would need to be accepted by the GHC Steering Committee first
> before that happens.

Absolutely; I just wasn't sure whether you were considering pushing for
merge in the event that it was accepted.

Cheers,

- Ben

RE: Goals for GHC 8.8

GHC - devs mailing list

Mathieu

Things (especially major things) for a release should land in master before the cut-off date.   But there is quite a way to go before linear types land in master…   When Arnaud is ready to submit a diff, I (and, I earnestly hope, other) can begin a code review – but so far I have not reviewed a single line of code.  This is a major diff and I expect there will be quite a bit of to and fro.

Fortunately, now we are on a 6-monthly release cycle, the next release will be along before we know it.    Actually I think it might well take several months of settling down before everyone (including Arnaud) is happy.

Let’s see how it all works out.  But I don’t think we can guarantee that it’ll be ready for 8.8.

Simon