[Google Summer of Code 2018] Student Applications are now open

[Google Summer of Code 2018] Student Applications are now open

jasper van der jeugt
Hey all,

As we've previously announced through different channels, Haskell.org
was accepted into Google Summer of Code 2018 [1].

Students application have now opened.  Students can submit their
proposal at the Summer of Code Dashboard [2].

We are also seeking mentors for possible projects.  This year, we would
like to assign a back-up mentor for each student.  If you are interested
in mentoring, please contact us [3] so we can add you to the mentor list
directly.  Having good mentors is an important factor in making the
students feel welcome and guiding them to a succesful completion of
their projects.

If you would like to apply but you don't know how to start your
proposal, have a look at our ideas list [4] and this great guide [5].

Lastly, we recognize that inclusion is an important part of our mission
to promote Haskell. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from
people in communities that are underrepresented in functional
programming, including but not limited to women; people of color; people
in gender, sexual and romantic minorities; people with disabilities;
people residing in Asia, Africa, or Latin America; and people who have
never taken part in similar programs before.

Kind regards, Jasper Van der Jeugt & George Wilson on behalf of the
Haskell.org Committee

[1]: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/5706672807346176/
[2]: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/
[3]: https://summer.haskell.org/contact.html
[4]: https://summer.haskell.org/ideas.html
[5]: http://write.flossmanuals.net/gsocstudentguide/writing-a-proposal/

Re: [Google Summer of Code 2018] Student Applications are now open

Tillmann Vogt-2
Am 16.03.2018 um 00:49 schrieb Jasper Van der Jeugt:
> Lastly, we recognize that inclusion is an important part of our mission
> to promote Haskell. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from

Why "strongly" encourage? Why not just encourage?
This sounds like you are in a war. I would also be very careful about
being "on a mission". This by itself would be OK if its just about being
enthusiastic. But in combination with the other text. Hm. People
generally don't like missionaries.
Also: Why are minorities explicitly named? To me this has a dividing and
discriminating effect.
I know I know. I am supposed to just ignore this. You most likely just
copied it from a template. The people with the money want control over
our minds. And we should better not complain or there will be no GSOC
next year. SCNR.
> people in communities that are underrepresented in functional
> programming, including but not limited to women; people of color; people
> in gender, sexual and romantic minorities; people with disabilities;
> people residing in Asia, Africa, or Latin America; and people who have
> never taken part in similar programs before.
>
> Kind regards, Jasper Van der Jeugt & George Wilson on behalf of the
> Haskell.org Committee

Re: [Google Summer of Code 2018] Student Applications are now open

Dan Burton
Pardon the tangent, but if I could just throw in my two cents about this.

The Haskell community has always been helpful, kind, and inclusive of me. This was true before I came out of the closet as gay, and remained true afterwards as well. At a time when I was unable to turn to people in my personal life, I was able to turn to contacts in the Haskell community. I would not have done so if I did not explicitly know that those particular people would be safe to turn to.

Messages of explicit inclusion need not be interpreted as divisive; they do not imply exclusion of those not explicitly listed. I am grateful that minorities are explicitly called out and strongly encouraged to apply in this announcement. I am confident that haskell.org will make every effort to support and empower all applicants.

-- Dan Burton

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 4:06 AM, Tillmann Vogt <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Gershom Bazerman

On March 16, 2018 at 7:08:20 AM, Tillmann Vogt ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:
> I know I know. I am supposed to just ignore this. You most likely just
> copied it from a template. The people with the money want control over
> our minds. And we should better not complain or there will be no GSOC
> next year. SCNR.

This was not mindlessly copied from a template, and it was not imposed by google. This was written by the people involved in the Haskell GSoC work, because we meant it. It was not written to ask people to ignore. It was written to ask people to consider, and to indicate that we understand that in drawing people into the world of free software development, we should take pains to make the tools we build and use as widely accessible as possible. We want to share the joy of functional programming with everyone, and that means, especially that we want to help foster Haskell among those that are, thus far, historically underrepresented in the world of functional programming. I think it is a good thing.

Best,
Gershom

(p.s. This list is intended to be low-traffic and for announcements. Future discussion on this list would be off topic. If people would like discussion to continue, I suggest haskell-cafe).