Graph Library Using Associated Types

Lajos Nagy-2

Hi,

I understand that one of the original motivations for introducing associated types to Haskell was the survey of support for generic programming done by Garcia et al. where they compared the implementation of the Boost Graph Library in various languages (C++, Java, Haskell, ML, C#, Eiffel).  Haskell got full marks in all categories, except for associated types which made the resulting implementations more verbose than necessary (and exposed implementation details).  Since then GHC added support for associated types but I was wondering if anybody re-did the experiment with the new features enabled (the original code is available at: http://www.osl.iu.edu/research/comparing/).

Regards,

Lajos

Re: Graph Library Using Associated Types

Manuel M T Chakravarty
Lajos Nagy:
I understand that one of the original motivations for introducing associated types to Haskell was the survey of support for generic programming done by Garcia et al. where they compared the implementation of the Boost Graph Library in various languages (C++, Java, Haskell, ML, C#, Eiffel).  Haskell got full marks in all categories, except for associated types which made the resulting implementations more verbose than necessary (and exposed implementation details).  Since then GHC added support for associated types but I was wondering if anybody re-did the experiment with the new features enabled (the original code is available at: http://www.osl.iu.edu/research/comparing/).

No, we actually didn't do that.  It would be interesting, though.

Manuel