HEADS UP: Final call for 7.10.2 is soon

Austin Seipp-5
Hi *,

I've just finished merging all the latest patches for GHC 7.10.2 into
the STABLE branch. All in all, we've fixed a lot of bugs (over 80
tickets closed)!

So, we'll probably be doing a 7.10.2 release here in a few weeks. The
tentative plan was around the 14th, although it's not set in stone.
(At worst, it would be pushed from the 14th to the 21st).

With that in mind, if I could quickly direct your attention to the GHC
bug tracker and the status page[1] - it would be really helpful if you
check if the things you want are fixed!

Specifically, if you want something fixed for the 7.10.2 release:

  - Make sure there is a ticket. It really needs to exist or we'll just forget!

  - If your bug is critical, please explain why! We really want to
kill showstoppers ASAP, because bugs are much cheaper to fix early. If
that's the case we can bump the priority if it's necessary to make
things clear.

  - Set the milestone to 7.10.2. It'll automatically appear on the status page.

That should be it - we'll be monitoring the status page regularly to
keep track of new things. The current bug list is pretty small - we
may move some of them out, or fix several more. So just try to let us
know.

As a sidenote, I'm quite happy with this release - it's fixed dozens
of tricky bugs, improved some nasty corner cases in compiler
performance, and overall seems like it will be high quality. Thanks to
everyone who submitted patches!

I'll send out another email next week as another reminder.

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.10.2

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant

RE: HEADS UP: Final call for 7.10.2 is soon

Simon Peyton Jones
| Now that I have a working GHC development environment (which was easier
| than thought thanks to the good documentation on the wiki), I am looking
| forward to work on ticket #7081 during the summer. When is the
| (approximate) deadline for feature patches for GHC 7.12?

Great!  We don't have a deadline for 7.12 yet.

Everyone: when would you *like* 7.12?
See https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.12.1
for what might be in it.

Simon

| > > |
| the
| part of
| computing
| > > |
| > > |
| 80
| weeks.
| stone.
| the
| if
| release:
| we'll
| early.
| make
| the
| regularly to
| we
| let
| dozens
| Thanks
| > > |
| > > |
| users

Re: HEADS UP: Final call for 7.10.2 is soon

Erik de Castro Lopo-34
Austin Seipp wrote:

>   - If your bug is critical, please explain why! We really want to
> kill showstoppers ASAP, because bugs are much cheaper to fix early. If
> that's the case we can bump the priority if it's necessary to make
> things clear.

I know Arm is not a tier 1 platform, but I think #10375 is rather
important.

The problem is that in ghci the following two statements:

     data X = Y deriving Eq
     Y == Y

will cause ghci to segfault. I've done some work debugging this, but
it has proved rather elusive.

This is a major regression with respect to ghc 7.8.

Cheers,
Erik

Re: HEADS UP: Final call for 7.10.2 is soon

Alan & Kim Zimmerman

  - If your bug is critical, please explain why! We really want to
kill showstoppers ASAP, because bugs are much cheaper to fix early. If
that's the case we can bump the priority if it's necessary to make
things clear.

#10443 is critical to me, it prevents the installation of ghc-mod, which is widely used, and is a regression.

Alan

Re: HEADS UP: Final call for 7.10.2 is soon

Wolfgang Jeltsch-2
Am Freitag, den 05.06.2015, 10:44 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton Jones:
> > Now that I have a working GHC development environment (which was easier
> > than thought thanks to the good documentation on the wiki), I am looking
> > forward to work on ticket #7081 during the summer. When is the
> > (approximate) deadline for feature patches for GHC 7.12?
>
> Great!  We don't have a deadline for 7.12 yet.

Should I assign the ticket to myself once I start working on it? What
else do I need to take care of regarding Trac?

All the best,
Wolfgang