HEADS UP: Need 7.10.3?

Austin Seipp-5
Hi *,

(This is an email primarily aimed at users reading this list and
developers who have any interest).

As some of you may know, there's currently a 7.10.3 milestone and
status page on our wiki:

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.10.3

The basic summary is best captured on the above page:

"We have not yet decided when, or even whether, to release GHC 7.10.3.
We will do so if (but only if!) we have documented cases of
"show-stoppers" in 7.10.2. Namely, cases from users where

  - You are unable to use 7.10.2 because of some bug
  - There is no reasonable workaround, so you are truly stuck
  - We know how to fix it
  - The fix is not too disruptive; i.e. does not risk introducing a
raft of new bugs"

That is, we're currently not fully sold on the need for a release.
However, the milestone and issue page serve as a useful guide, and
also make it easier to keep track of smaller, point-release worthy
issues.

So in the wake of the 8.0 roadmap I just sent: If you *need* 7.10.3
because the 7.10.x series has a major regression or problem you can't
work around, let us know!

  - Find or file a bug in Trac
  - Make sure it's highest priority
  - Assign it to the 7.10.3 milestone
  - Follow up on this email if possible, or edit it on the status page
text above - it would be nice to get some public feedback in one place
about what everyone needs.

Currently we have two bugs on the listed page in the 'show stopper
category', possibly the same bug, which is a deal-breaker for HERMIT I
believe. Knowing of anything else would be very useful.

Thanks all!

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant

Re: HEADS UP: Need 7.10.3?

Ruben Moor
Hello,

I want to support the case of a GHC 7.10.3 release. The show-stopper for our company in 7.10.2 consists of ticket #10726

and ticket #10795

I.e. I am not able to compile my code on MS Windows and reached a point where my workaround is exhausted (reducing overall file path length in the project dependency).

Luckily the fix has already been implemented and merged (into the 7.10 branch and HEAD). Cf. this commit

and this stack issue:

Thanks!

Ruben Moor

Re: HEADS UP: Need 7.10.3?

Andrew Farmer
As you mentioned, the two show stoppers for HERMIT are #10528
(specifically SPJs commit in comment:15 - see [1]) and #10829 (see
D1246). The first disables inlining/rule application in the LHS of
rules, the second does the same in the RHS. nofib results for the
latter are on the ticket.

I've set both to 7.10.3 milestone and high priority... thanks for merging them!

[1] bc4b64ca5b99bff6b3d5051b57cb2bc52bd4c841

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 6:53 AM, Austin Seipp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> (This is an email primarily aimed at users reading this list and
> developers who have any interest).
>
> As some of you may know, there's currently a 7.10.3 milestone and
> status page on our wiki:
>
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.10.3
>
> The basic summary is best captured on the above page:
>
> "We have not yet decided when, or even whether, to release GHC 7.10.3.
> We will do so if (but only if!) we have documented cases of
> "show-stoppers" in 7.10.2. Namely, cases from users where
>
>   - You are unable to use 7.10.2 because of some bug
>   - There is no reasonable workaround, so you are truly stuck
>   - We know how to fix it
>   - The fix is not too disruptive; i.e. does not risk introducing a
> raft of new bugs"
>
> That is, we're currently not fully sold on the need for a release.
> However, the milestone and issue page serve as a useful guide, and
> also make it easier to keep track of smaller, point-release worthy
> issues.
>
> So in the wake of the 8.0 roadmap I just sent: If you *need* 7.10.3
> because the 7.10.x series has a major regression or problem you can't
> work around, let us know!
>
>   - Find or file a bug in Trac
>   - Make sure it's highest priority
>   - Assign it to the 7.10.3 milestone
>   - Follow up on this email if possible, or edit it on the status page
> text above - it would be nice to get some public feedback in one place
> about what everyone needs.
>
> Currently we have two bugs on the listed page in the 'show stopper
> category', possibly the same bug, which is a deal-breaker for HERMIT I
> believe. Knowing of anything else would be very useful.
>
> Thanks all!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant
> Well-Typed LLP, http://www.well-typed.com/

Re: HEADS UP: Need 7.10.3?

Sven Panne-2
Building Haddock documentation on Windows for larger packages (e.g. OpenGLRaw) is broken in 7.10.2, similar to linking: The reason is once again the silly Windows command line length limitation, so we need response files here, too. Haddock 2.16.1 already has support for this, but this seems to be broken (probably https://github.com/haskell/haddock/commit/9affe8f6b3a9b07367c8c14162aecea8b15856a6 is missing), see the corresponding check in cabal (https://github.com/haskell/cabal/blob/master/Cabal/Distribution/Simple/Haddock.hs#L470).

So in a nutshell: We would need a new Haddock release (bundled with GHC 7.10.3) and a new cabal release with support for Haddock response files (in cabal's HEAD, but not yet released). Would this be possible?