HP 2013.2 and GHC 7.6.2

Mark Lentczner-2
Friends -

There has been some discussion on haskell-platform & libraries mailing list
about the suitability of GHC 7.6.2 for the upcoming HP 2013.2.

Given the aims of the platform: stability, no surprises, just works, we
want to use the latestest version of GHC that best meets these goals so as
to provide a base for the libraries (and users!) as they evolve forward.

I'd appreciate hearing this community's thoughts on the choice of GHC
version for this release.

? Mark "Chief Haskell Gift-Wrapper" Lentczner
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

HP 2013.2 and GHC 7.6.2

Ian Lynagh-2
On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 07:19:29AM -0700, Mark Lentczner wrote:

> There has been some discussion on haskell-platform & libraries mailing list
> about the suitability of GHC 7.6.2 for the upcoming HP 2013.2.

In particular, http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/7748

That does actually look quite nasty. Would a 7.6.3 that fixed that and
had no other changes be acceptable?

Simon, do you know if there is a reasonably non-invasive fix for that
bug? And do you think it would be worth a micro-release?

Thanks
Ian

HP 2013.2 and GHC 7.6.2

Simon Peyton Jones
| I just spoiled my day by http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/7748
| with ghc-7.6.2 in our large project:
| hets: <<loop>>
| hets works fine with ghc-7.6.1 (and older versions). I haven't located
| the error yet, though.
|
| Yet, I therefore conclude, GHC 7.6.2 ist not suited for the official HP.

Happily I have found and fixed #7748 in the 7.6 branch.

Christian, is it possible for you to build the 7.6 branch and test with Hets?

HP 2013.2 and GHC 7.6.2

Simon Peyton Jones
| Are you planning to make a ghc 7.6.3 release?

I suppose so, but we'd prefer to make sure it works first.

| Yes, I see no suitable snapshot distribution, though:
| http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/stable/dist

I hope Ian can help.  I only pushed the fix this morning so there won't be a snapshot, and I don't know whether snapshots are being built for your platform.  (Indeed I don't know what your platform is.)

| > |
| > | Yet, I therefore conclude, GHC 7.6.2 ist not suited for the official
| HP.
| >
| > Happily I have found and fixed #7748 in the 7.6 branch.
| >
| > Christian, is it possible for you to build the 7.6 branch and test
| with Hets?
|
| Yes, I see no suitable snapshot distribution, though:
| http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/stable/dist
|
| What is the exact command to get the relevant ghc sources.
|
| Are you planning to make a ghc 7.6.3 release?
|
| Thanks Christian
|
| > Simon

HP 2013.2 and GHC 7.6.2

Richard Eisenberg-2

On Apr 16, 2013, at 3:43 AM, Christian Maeder <Christian.Maeder at dfki.de> wrote:

> What is the exact command to get the relevant ghc sources.

First, make sure that your installed GHC is *not* a snapshot distribution, but one of the main releases (such as 7.6.1 or 7.6.2). You may also want to check out http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation to make sure you have all the needed software. Then, go somewhere convenient on your computer, and run this (assuming Linux/Mac OS):

git clone http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc.git; cd ghc; ./sync-all --testsuite get; perl boot; ./configure; make

At the end of that (will probably take about an hour), you will have ghc available in <your convenient location>/ghc/inplace/bin/ghc-stage2

I believe you can use a --with-ghc=... option to cabal to install packages with an uninstalled ghc. Or, you could use a --prefix=... option to ./configure, above, and then run `make install` after building.

I hope this helps!
Richard

HP 2013.2 and GHC 7.6.2

Mark Lentczner-2
Thanks for all the switft work. Here's my understanding of the situation:

   - 7.6.2 has a bug (#7748) in it, which also appears in a lesser form in
   7.6.1.
   - SPJ has a fix, that works for the minimal code given in the bug report.
   - Others are now trying to verify it fixes the bug as it was discovered
   in the wild, in the hets package.
   - Assuming it does fix, Ian will prepare a 7.6.3 release which is just
   this bug fix as a delta from 7.6.2.

If that is the state of the world, then we'll delay the HP 2012.2.0.0 a
week for 7.6.3.

- Mark
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

HP 2013.2 and GHC 7.6.2

Simon Peyton Jones
Yes you need to be on branch "ghc-7.6", both for the GHC repos and for all the libraries.

Something like
        ./sync-all checkout ghc-7.6
should do it

Simon

HP 2013.2 and GHC 7.6.2

Simon Peyton Jones
I think that?s right.

Simon

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 03:18:01PM +0200, Christian Maeder wrote:
> Am 16.04.2013 14:29, schrieb Richard Eisenberg:
> >
> >git clone http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc.git; cd ghc; ./sync-all --testsuite get; perl boot; ./configure; make
>
> Thanks, for this. Do I need to give a branch name (which one?) to
> the "git clone" command (option -b)?

Yes, you need to add "-b ghc-7.6" to both the clone and the sync-all
command. Docs are here:
    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/GettingTheSources#Gettingabranch

Thanks
Ian

HP 2013.2 and GHC 7.6.2

Carter Schonwald
Ivan, do you mean a cabal 1.18 release or...?

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 8:17 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <
ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 April 2013 23:17, Mark Lentczner <mark.lentczner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for all the switft work. Here's my understanding of the situation:
> >
> > 7.6.2 has a bug (#7748) in it, which also appears in a lesser form in
> 7.6.1.
> > SPJ has a fix, that works for the minimal code given in the bug report.
> > Others are now trying to verify it fixes the bug as it was discovered in
> the
> > wild, in the hets package.
> > Assuming it does fix, Ian will prepare a 7.6.3 release which is just this
> > bug fix as a delta from 7.6.2.
>
> Can we please get the version of Cabal bumped as well?
>

> > If that is the state of the world, then we'll delay the HP 2012.2.0.0 a
> week
> > for 7.6.3.
> >
> > - Mark

> Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
> Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
> http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

HP 2013.2 and GHC 7.6.2

Mark Lentczner-2
Can anyone comment on the state of cabal, and in particular the version
that was shipped with 7.6.2?

We should only consider bumping that version if, like with 7.6.2, there is
a major bug in it that will affect the Platform's users. If there is, we'll
want to consider a point release in preference to a major bump to the
"latest-n-greatest".

Let's try to keep this last minute bumping to a minimum!

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <
ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 April 2013 23:17, Mark Lentczner <mark.lentczner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for all the switft work. Here's my understanding of the situation:
> >
> > 7.6.2 has a bug (#7748) in it, which also appears in a lesser form in
> 7.6.1.
> > SPJ has a fix, that works for the minimal code given in the bug report.
> > Others are now trying to verify it fixes the bug as it was discovered in
> the
> > wild, in the hets package.
> > Assuming it does fix, Ian will prepare a 7.6.3 release which is just this
> > bug fix as a delta from 7.6.2.
>
> Can we please get the version of Cabal bumped as well?
>

> > If that is the state of the world, then we'll delay the HP 2012.2.0.0 a
> week
> > for 7.6.3.
> >
> > - Mark

> Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
> Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
> http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

HP 2013.2 and GHC 7.6.2

Carter Schonwald
i'm nearly through getting a build done (soonish)

do i just need to test the loop file on the ticket, or this "hets" package
too? (which i can't seem to find...)

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 11:44 PM, Mark Lentczner
<mark.lentczner at gmail.com>wrote:

> Can anyone comment on the state of cabal, and in particular the version
> that was shipped with 7.6.2?
>
> We should only consider bumping that version if, like with 7.6.2, there is
> a major bug in it that will affect the Platform's users. If there is, we'll
> want to consider a point release in preference to a major bump to the
> "latest-n-greatest".
>
> Let's try to keep this last minute bumping to a minimum!
>

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <
> ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 16 April 2013 23:17, Mark Lentczner <mark.lentczner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Thanks for all the switft work. Here's my understanding of the
>> situation:
>> >
>> > 7.6.2 has a bug (#7748) in it, which also appears in a lesser form in
>> 7.6.1.
>> > SPJ has a fix, that works for the minimal code given in the bug report.
>> > Others are now trying to verify it fixes the bug as it was discovered
>> in the
>> > wild, in the hets package.
>> > Assuming it does fix, Ian will prepare a 7.6.3 release which is just
>> this
>> > bug fix as a delta from 7.6.2.
>>
>> Can we please get the version of Cabal bumped as well?
>>

>> > If that is the state of the world, then we'll delay the HP 2012.2.0.0 a
>> week
>> > for 7.6.3.
>> >
>> > - Mark

>> --
>> Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
>> Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
>> http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

HP 2013.2 and GHC 7.6.2

Duncan Coutts-4
On Tue, 2013-04-16 at 20:44 -0700, Mark Lentczner wrote:
> Can anyone comment on the state of cabal, and in particular the version
> that was shipped with 7.6.2?

GHC-7.6.1 shipped with Cabal-1.16.0

We subsequently found a few bugs and released Cabal-1.16.0.3 (1.16.0.2
was the brown paper bag release, oops). We (cabal devs) assumed that
GHC-7.6.2 would just automatically pick up the latest bug fix release in
the Cabal-1.16.0.x series but for some reason that did not happen.

Yes ideally we should be using Cabal-1.16.0.3 and if there is a
GHC-7.6.3 then that should certainly use Cabal-1.16.0.3.

In the absence of a GHC-7.6.3, I'm not sure if it's practical for the HP
to bump the Cabal version.

Duncan

HP 2013.2 and GHC 7.6.2

Mark Lentczner-2
Well.... based on Christian's excellent news, looks to mee like there is a
candidate for a GHC-7.6.3. And so it sounds like that should pick up
Cabal-1.16.0.3.

I'd like to limit the micro-bumps as much as possible, is that it, everyone?
?
I'd also like to double confirm with all concerned that we agree that this
bug in GHC was serious enough to hold the Platform for (only a week), and
deal with potential "last minute scrambling" from library devs and
packagers that may result. I don't anticipate any real issue, but we are
accepting the risk and stepping up to deal with any.

For the record: I'm thumbs up.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 02:48:26PM +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:

> In the absence of a GHC-7.6.3, I'm not sure if it's practical for the HP
> to bump the Cabal version.

My proposal was 7.6.3 was a minimal release in a very short timeframe,
to just fix #7748. Any additional changes introduce a possibility of
regression. If you think that 7.6.2+1.16.0 would be OK, then it sounds
like the fixes in 1.16.0.3 wouldn't be worth the risk (there are a
number of GHC fixes that we won't be merging either, for the same
reason).

Thanks
Ian

HP 2013.2 and GHC 7.6.2

Iavor Diatchki
Hello,

cabal-install 1.16.0 and 1.16.0.1 have some serious bugs that one
encounters rather quickly.  For example, at work I wasted some time until I
figured out that cabal was generating a 'Paths_'  module that does not
compile.   Because of this, you can't even use it to install a newer
version of itself, where the problem is fixed: you have to manually
bootstrap the new version with the script!

I think it would be quite unfortunate to make yet another GHC release that
ships with it, let alone add it to the Haskell platform.

-Iavor

*
*
*
*

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:17 AM, Ian Lynagh <ian at well-typed.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 02:48:26PM +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> >
> > In the absence of a GHC-7.6.3, I'm not sure if it's practical for the HP
> > to bump the Cabal version.
>
> My proposal was 7.6.3 was a minimal release in a very short timeframe,
> to just fix #7748. Any additional changes introduce a possibility of
> regression. If you think that 7.6.2+1.16.0 would be OK, then it sounds
> like the fixes in 1.16.0.3 wouldn't be worth the risk (there are a
> number of GHC fixes that we won't be merging either, for the same
> reason).
>

> Thanks
> Ian

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

HP 2013.2 and GHC 7.6.2

Johan Tibell-2
Even though there's some risk bumping the Cabal version used in GHC, I
think it would be worth it given that quite a few people have tripped
over the bugs fixed in 1.16.0.3.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 8:20 AM, Iavor Diatchki
<iavor.diatchki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> cabal-install 1.16.0 and 1.16.0.1 have some serious bugs that one encounters
> rather quickly.  For example, at work I wasted some time until I figured out
> that cabal was generating a 'Paths_'  module that does not compile.
> Because of this, you can't even use it to install a newer version of itself,
> where the problem is fixed: you have to manually bootstrap the new version
> with the script!
>
> I think it would be quite unfortunate to make yet another GHC release that
> ships with it, let alone add it to the Haskell platform.
>
> -Iavor
>

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:17 AM, Ian Lynagh <ian at well-typed.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 02:48:26PM +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:
>> >
>> > In the absence of a GHC-7.6.3, I'm not sure if it's practical for the HP
>> > to bump the Cabal version.
>>
>> My proposal was 7.6.3 was a minimal release in a very short timeframe,
>> to just fix #7748. Any additional changes introduce a possibility of
>> regression. If you think that 7.6.2+1.16.0 would be OK, then it sounds
>> like the fixes in 1.16.0.3 wouldn't be worth the risk (there are a
>> number of GHC fixes that we won't be merging either, for the same
>> reason).
>>

>> Thanks
>> Ian

HP 2013.2 and GHC 7.6.2

Gabor Greif-2
On 4/17/13, Iavor Diatchki <iavor.diatchki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> cabal-install 1.16.0 and 1.16.0.1 have some serious bugs that one
> encounters rather quickly.  For example, at work I wasted some time until I
> figured out that cabal was generating a 'Paths_'  module that does not
> compile.   Because of this, you can't even use it to install a newer
> version of itself, where the problem is fixed: you have to manually
> bootstrap the new version with the script!

I came up with this.

http://heisenbug.blogspot.fr/2013/02/old-cabal-subhell.html

Pretty much what you have experienced.

Cheers,

    Gabor

> I think it would be quite unfortunate to make yet another GHC release that
> ships with it, let alone add it to the Haskell platform.
>
> -Iavor
>
> *
> *
> *
> *
>

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:17 AM, Ian Lynagh <ian at well-typed.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 02:48:26PM +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:
>> >
>> > In the absence of a GHC-7.6.3, I'm not sure if it's practical for the
>> > HP
>> > to bump the Cabal version.
>>
>> My proposal was 7.6.3 was a minimal release in a very short timeframe,
>> to just fix #7748. Any additional changes introduce a possibility of
>> regression. If you think that 7.6.2+1.16.0 would be OK, then it sounds
>> like the fixes in 1.16.0.3 wouldn't be worth the risk (there are a
>> number of GHC fixes that we won't be merging either, for the same
>> reason).
>>

>> Thanks
>> Ian

HP 2013.2 and GHC 7.6.2

Ian Lynagh-2

Hi Iavor,

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 08:20:22AM -0700, Iavor Diatchki wrote:

> cabal-install 1.16.0 and 1.16.0.1 have some serious bugs

GHC doesn't include cabal-install.

Thanks
Ian

HP 2013.2 and GHC 7.6.2

Ian Lynagh-2
On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 05:37:37PM +0200, Gabor Greif wrote:

> On 4/17/13, Iavor Diatchki <iavor.diatchki at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > cabal-install 1.16.0 and 1.16.0.1 have some serious bugs that one
> > encounters rather quickly.  For example, at work I wasted some time until I
> > figured out that cabal was generating a 'Paths_'  module that does not
> > compile.   Because of this, you can't even use it to install a newer
> > version of itself, where the problem is fixed: you have to manually
> > bootstrap the new version with the script!
>
> I came up with this.
>
> http://heisenbug.blogspot.fr/2013/02/old-cabal-subhell.html
>
> Pretty much what you have experienced.

This doesn't appear to affect the Cabal that GHC 7.6.2 ships with. I get

    catchIO :: IO a -> (Exception.IOException -> IO a) -> IO a
    catchIO = Exception.catch

    getBinDir = catchIO (getEnv "HTTP_bindir") (\_ -> return bindir)

in Paths_HTTP.

Thanks
Ian

12