Hackage and searching for substrings

Magnus Therning
Just now I thought I'd check what kind of lib waargonaut is. Being lazy
I typed "waarg" into the package search box and found nothing!

Is there a way to make Hackage find waargonaut without having to type
the full package name?

/M

--
Magnus Therning              OpenPGP: 0x927912051716CE39
email: [hidden email]

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it
and remove all doubt.
     — Mark Twain

Re: Hackage and searching for substrings

Francesco Ariis
Il 01 novembre 2020 alle 10:43 Magnus Therning ha scritto:
> Is there a way to make Hackage find waargonaut without having to type
> the full package name?

Not the same, but…
    https://html.duckduckgo.com/html?q=site%3Ahackage.haskell.org%20waarg

Francesco Ariis <[hidden email]> writes:

> Il 01 novembre 2020 alle 10:43 Magnus Therning ha scritto:
>> Is there a way to make Hackage find waargonaut without having to type
>> the full package name?
>
> Not the same, but…
>     https://html.duckduckgo.com/html?q=site%3Ahackage.haskell.org%20waarg

Yes, that's certainly an option. Just that `!hackage waarg` would be a
lot nicer to write than `site:hackage.haskell.org waarg` :)

/M

--
Magnus Therning              OpenPGP: 0x927912051716CE39
email: [hidden email]
twitter: magthe              http://magnus.therning.org/

I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn
how to do it.
     — Pablo Picasso

Re: Hackage and searching for substrings

Henning Thielemann

On Sun, 1 Nov 2020, Magnus Therning wrote:

> Francesco Ariis <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Il 01 novembre 2020 alle 10:43 Magnus Therning ha scritto:
>>> Is there a way to make Hackage find waargonaut without having to type
>>> the full package name?
>>
>> Not the same, but…
>>     https://html.duckduckgo.com/html?q=site%3Ahackage.haskell.org%20waarg
>
> Yes, that's certainly an option. Just that `!hackage waarg` would be a
> lot nicer to write than `site:hackage.haskell.org waarg` :)
I guess you can configure your browser to expand the former to the latter.

Re: Hackage and searching for substrings

Haskell - Haskell-Cafe mailing list

You certainly can. Someone gave a great example on Twitter of doing this for a custom GitHub search: https://twitter.com/HamelHusain/status/1307353823216762880

https://html.duckduckgo.com/html?q=site%3Ahackage.haskell.org waarg

Yes, that's certainly an option. Just that !hackage waarg would be a

lot nicer to write than site:hackage.haskell.org waarg :)

I guess you can configure your browser to expand the former to the latter._______________________________________________

Re: Hackage and searching for substrings

Viktor Dukhovni
On Sun, Nov 01, 2020 at 10:43:19AM +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:

> Just now I thought I'd check what kind of lib waargonaut is. Being lazy
> I typed "waarg" into the package search box and found nothing!
>
> Is there a way to make Hackage find waargonaut without having to type
> the full package name?

Hoogle does the job quite nicely, and finds matches as you type:

    https://hoogle.haskell.org/

Just typing "waa" was sufficient to exclude false-positives.

--
    Viktor.

Magnus Therning <[hidden email]> writes:

> Just now I thought I'd check what kind of lib waargonaut is. Being lazy
> I typed "waarg" into the package search box and found nothing!
>
> Is there a way to make Hackage find waargonaut without having to type
> the full package name?

Interpreting the responses so far I guess the correct answer to my
question is "no!"

/M

--
Magnus Therning              OpenPGP: 0x927912051716CE39
email: [hidden email]
twitter: magthe              http://magnus.therning.org/

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of
creativeness.
     — Pablo Picasso

Re: Hackage and searching for substrings

Li-yao Xia-2
Hi Magnus,

One approximation of that idea is to use hoogle:

https://hoogle.haskell.org/?hoogle=is%3Apackage%20waar

(note the "is:package" key to avoid looking for identifiers inside packages)

Li-yao