Hacking Haskell in Nightclubs?

Echo Nolan
Hello all,
        I read an article on using perl for live improvised synthesis a
while ago (http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2004/08/31/livecode.html). Does
anyone have thoughts in doing this is haskell? Would strong typing make
"jazzy" programming too difficult?
Regards,
Echo Nolan

Re: Hacking Haskell in Nightclubs?

Hudak, Paul
Although Haskore (haskell.org/haskore) doesn't currently support
real-time music, it's something I've thought about numerous times in the
past, and wish I had the time to do it...

   -Paul Hudak

--
Professor Paul Hudak
Department of Computer Science    Office: (203) 432-1235

R: Hacking Haskell in Nightclubs?

Santoemma Enrico
Doing music is a hard low level problem, a concurrency problem and is also an interesting problem for intelligent and behavioural computation.

If it's true that Haskell can do its best on the second and third aspect, the undertaking seems to wrap with foreing interface one of the many good C libraries for low level audio/midi management.

Btw, about the third aspect I liked your approach to model animations through behaviour in your book School of expressions.

So now the questions seem to be: how difficult is today to wrap a C library? Which is the right tool to do it? C->Haskell?

Salus,
Enrico

Re: R: Hacking Haskell in Nightclubs?

Philippa Cowderoy
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Santoemma Enrico wrote:

> Doing music is a hard low level problem, a concurrency problem and is
> also an interesting problem for intelligent and behavioural computation.
>
> If it's true that Haskell can do its best on the second and third
> aspect, the undertaking seems to wrap with foreing interface one of the
> many good C libraries for low level audio/midi management.

That's not so bad if we can afford a little latency. If need be we can
even have a separate thread or process being fed data from haskell land.

'In Ankh-Morpork even the shit have a street to itself...
 Truly this is a land of opportunity.' - Detritus, Men at Arms

Re: R: Hacking Haskell in Nightclubs?

jerzy.karczmarczuk
Santoemma Enrico wrote:
> Doing music is a hard low level problem, a concurrency problem and is also an interesting problem for intelligent and behavioural computation.
>
> If it's true that Haskell can do its best on the second and third aspect, the undertaking seems to wrap with foreing interface one of the many good C libraries for low level audio/midi management.
>
> Btw, about the third aspect I liked your approach to model animations through behaviour in your book School of expressions.
>
> So now the questions seem to be: how difficult is today to wrap a C library? Which is the right tool to do it? C->Haskell?

About low-level...
Using C libraries, or using Haskell to produce CSound scripts, or SAOL, etc. is
always possible, but not too ambitious, for a genuine Functional Sectarian.

If you permit a shameless plug, I produced some purely functional programs which
generated/simulated basic musical instruments using the waveguide models. It has
been don not in Haskell but in Clean, since Clean arrays and unboxed lists were
much more efficient than the equivalent structures in Haskell *at the time when
I worked on that*.

If you wish to have a look on the paper:

http://users.info.unicaen.fr/~karczma/arpap/cleasyn.pdf

Of course I can send the Clean stuff to the <<volenti>> as well, but I am aware
that this is a 5th-column attitude in a Haskell list... Still, you can try to
translate the models into Haskell, which should be conceptually trivial.

The best.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk