Haddock's Hackage page --- Bravo!

Albert Y. C. Lai
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/haddock now puts the whole
cheatsheet up front. Well done! Bravo! Whoever thought up this is a
genius! Thanks!

Re: Haddock's Hackage page --- Bravo!

migmit-2
Bravo indeed.

On 27 Aug 2017, at 22:48, Albert Y. C. Lai <[hidden email]> wrote:

https://hackage.haskell.org/package/haddock now puts the whole cheatsheet up front. Well done! Bravo! Whoever thought up this is a genius! Thanks!

Re: Haddock's Hackage page --- Bravo!

Norbert Melzer

MigMit <[hidden email]> schrieb am So., 27. Aug. 2017 um 23:15 Uhr:
Bravo indeed.

 Not quite sure whats happening here for you, but for me it is a prerendered image…
On 27 Aug 2017, at 22:48, Albert Y. C. Lai <[hidden email]> wrote:

https://hackage.haskell.org/package/haddock now puts the whole cheatsheet up front. Well done! Bravo! Whoever thought up this is a genius! Thanks!

Re: Haddock's Hackage page --- Bravo!

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
On 28 August 2017 at 07:20, Norbert Melzer <[hidden email]> wrote:

MigMit <[hidden email]> schrieb am So., 27. Aug. 2017 um 23:15 Uhr:
Bravo indeed.

 Not quite sure whats happening here for you, but for me it is a prerendered image…

Whereas for me I've got the "broken image link" icon, but if I right-click it and say to view image it works.

Possibly browser-specific? (I'm using Firefox)
On 27 Aug 2017, at 22:48, Albert Y. C. Lai <[hidden email]> wrote:

https://hackage.haskell.org/package/haddock now puts the whole cheatsheet up front. Well done! Bravo! Whoever thought up this is a genius! Thanks!

Re: Haddock's Hackage page --- Bravo!

Joachim Durchholz
Am 28.08.2017 um 03:10 schrieb Sang Hak (Andy) Chun:
> The cheat sheet is an embedded SVG, it seems.

It definitely is, I just checked the raw data.
The first line has this to say:

<!-- Created with Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/) -->

 > Perhaps the browser isn't
> playing nice with vector graphics?

I see that XY positioning uses dimensionless numbers, while font sizes
are given in pixels. If the browser interprets the XY values as
something different than pixels, this would explain what migmit is seeing.
I don't know whether the SVG or the browser is wrong.

Re: Haddock's Hackage page --- Bravo!

Tomas Carnecky
The SVG looks ok. Please include the browser version you're using.

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 7:27 AM Joachim Durchholz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 28.08.2017 um 03:10 schrieb Sang Hak (Andy) Chun:
> The cheat sheet is an embedded SVG, it seems.

It definitely is, I just checked the raw data.
The first line has this to say:

<!-- Created with Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/) -->

 > Perhaps the browser isn't
> playing nice with vector graphics?

I see that XY positioning uses dimensionless numbers, while font sizes
are given in pixels. If the browser interprets the XY values as
something different than pixels, this would explain what migmit is seeing.
I don't know whether the SVG or the browser is wrong.

Re: Haddock's Hackage page --- Bravo!

migmit-2
Latest Firefox on the latest Mac OS X.

But using SVG for what is mostly text is not a good idea anyway.

> On 28 Aug 2017, at 07:48, Tomas Carnecky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The SVG looks ok. Please include the browser version you're using.
>
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 7:27 AM Joachim Durchholz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am 28.08.2017 um 03:10 schrieb Sang Hak (Andy) Chun:
> > The cheat sheet is an embedded SVG, it seems.
>
> It definitely is, I just checked the raw data.
> The first line has this to say:
>
> <!-- Created with Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/) -->
>
>  > Perhaps the browser isn't
> > playing nice with vector graphics?
>
> I see that XY positioning uses dimensionless numbers, while font sizes
> are given in pixels. If the browser interprets the XY values as
> something different than pixels, this would explain what migmit is seeing.
> I don't know whether the SVG or the browser is wrong.

Re: Haddock's Hackage page --- Bravo!

Tomas Carnecky
I can't reproduce it with Firefox 55.0.3 on Mac. Tried playing with zoom and font sizes in the Firefox settings but didn't make any difference.

I disagree that SVG is not a good idea. It's as good as HTML for text. However if this problem you're seeing is a real issue for end users we could generate a raster image from the SVG (possibly at @2x/@3x resolution) and insert that into the webpage.

Am 28.08.2017 um 09:38 schrieb MigMit:
> But using SVG for what is mostly text is not a good idea anyway.

Actually, it's the non-text parts that define what rendering solution is
most appropriate.
Each potential solution that I am aware of has its problems; afaik SVG
is one of the least evils in this area. YMMV but I wouldn't disquality
SVG as "not a good idea anyway".

On 2017-08-28 01:25 AM, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> I see that XY positioning uses dimensionless numbers, while font sizes
> are given in pixels. If the browser interprets the XY values as
> something different than pixels, this would explain what migmit is seeing.
> I don't know whether the SVG or the browser is wrong.

In SVG, lack of unit is taken to mean the px unit. So <text
font-size="6px" x="5" y="7" ...> means the same thing as <text
font-size="6" x="5px" y="7px" ...>.

Next, the fun part is the beginning <svg width="8.5in" height="11in"
viewBox="0 0 170 220" ...> which means:

1px horizontal means 8.5in/170 = 0.05in
1px vertical means 11in/220 = 0.05in

Lastly, to be sure, a web browser is going to have its own twisted idea
of what 1in means, but empirically desktop web browsers use the
simpifying assumption 96dpi (configurable by poorly documented ways
IIRC) so they're going to use 96 physical pixels per "1in". (Indeed, I
have used 3 desktop monitors, including 1 CRT, during the last 20 years
and they all did/do approximately 96dpi, and today I just tested an SVG
of a 5in-by-5in square and it does measure almost 5 inches. To be sure,
Apple products that boast "retina display" and Microsoft Surface Pro are
another story, 220-400dpi.)

So I think this SVG code is pretty robust to scaling. And real web
browsers are actually pretty close to theory in this regard.