Has ghc-9.0 for windows changed to require installation?

Has ghc-9.0 for windows changed to require installation?

Takenobu Tani
Hi devs,

The ghc-binary for windows needs to `make install` since ghc-9.0 [1].
Is this an intended change?

Previously, ghc-8.10.4 binary for windows [2] doesn't need to `make install`.
We only expand the tar-file and then we can execute `bin/ghcii.sh`.

[1]: https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/9.0.1/ghc-9.0.1-x86_64-unknown-mingw32.tar.xz
[2]: https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/8.10.4/ghc-8.10.4-x86_64-unknown-mingw32.tar.xz

Regards,
Takenobu

Re: Has ghc-9.0 for windows changed to require installation?

Phyx
No, there's no change at all in the portability.
This looks like a fallout from switching from Make to Hadrian.

ghcii.sh was created as an artifact of make install. Hadrian seems to lack this step.

Note that this script is nothing magical, it's just a hack around how signal handlers in Native windows and Cygwin processes are handled.

I'm not entirely sure it's still needed with the new I/O manager, however that's not on yet by default..

Anyways support should probably be added to Hadrian.

Kind regards,
Tamar

Sent from my Mobile

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021, 14:43 Moritz Angermann <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Moritz, Tamar, Ben,

Thank you for the detailed explaining. I understood the current status.

Ben has opened this:
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/issues/19339

Always thanks a lot,
Takenobu

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 4:24 AM Phyx <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No, there's no change at all in the portability.
> This looks like a fallout from switching from Make to Hadrian.
>
> ghcii.sh was created as an artifact of make install. Hadrian seems to lack this step.
>
> Note that this script is nothing magical, it's just a hack around how signal handlers in Native windows and Cygwin processes are handled.
>
> I'm not entirely sure it's still needed with the new I/O manager, however that's not on yet by default..
>
> Anyways support should probably be added to Hadrian.
>
> Kind regards,
> Tamar
>
> Sent from my Mobile
>
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2021, 14:43 Moritz Angermann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for flagging this. This would be the opposite direction of what I’ve been advocating for. That we get bindists for Linux and macOS that work by simply unpacking them.
>>
>> On Mon, 8 Feb 2021 at 10:05 PM, Takenobu Tani <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> The ghc-binary for windows needs to `make install` since ghc-9.0 [1].
>>> Is this an intended change?
>>>
>>> Previously, ghc-8.10.4 binary for windows [2] doesn't need to `make install`.
>>> We only expand the tar-file and then we can execute `bin/ghcii.sh`.
>>>
>>> [1]: https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/9.0.1/ghc-9.0.1-x86_64-unknown-mingw32.tar.xz
>>> [2]: https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/8.10.4/ghc-8.10.4-x86_64-unknown-mingw32.tar.xz
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Takenobu