Haskell Packages 6.6?

Isaac Jones-2
Hello good Haskell Hackers.

We're pretty well along the way to getting cabal-install and friends
working nicely.  We've got almost 30 packages in the database.

Let's imagine something that would be awesome.  A set of Haskell
packages which are all known to work together with a particular
version of cabal (the one that GHC comes with), and a particular
version of GHC.

GHC version 6.6 will be released soon, and I think we should try to
make this happen.

Currently, we have a set of 27 "unstable" packages.  They may or may
not work with each-other and such:

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/

I just created an empty directory "testing".  I propose that we start
testing packages, starting with the cabal release candidate that'll go
into GHC 6.6, and make sure they work nicely together.  Once they're
known to work, we can migrate them from the "unstable" directory to
the "testing" directory.

Once we have a sufficient collection of packages, and once ghc 6.6 is
released, we can make a snapshot of this directory, call it
"stable-6.6" or something.  Then if you have ghc 6.6 and
cabal-install, you should be able to "cabal-install p" for any
package, and it'll definitely work.

So what will we need for this to happen?

1. An installed version of ghc 6.6 on the hackage/darcs server.  Maybe
   in a chroot or something.  Maybe from the nightly build tree or the
   previous snapshot?

2. Some initial set of packages (maybe just cabal-install) to start
   off.

3. Some script that goes through and builds all of the "unstable"
   packages in dependency order.  I think cabal-install can do this
   already.  In fact, it would be ideal if we used cabal-install for
   this.

4. The script should also run ./setup haddock and ./setup test.  If
   the packages seem to work w/ 6.6 and the other packages in
   "testing", it should get migrated from "unstable" to "testing".

5. A web interface (lemmih is working on it)

6. A script to upload packages to "unstable" (Paolo is working on it).

7. Someone to spearhead all of this!

peace,

  isaac

p.s. here are the packages we have currently in the database:

parsedate-2006.6.4       Haskell library for parsing dates and times
cgi-2006.8.5             A Haskell library for writing CGI programs
HDBC-odbc-1.0.1.0
lambdabot-4.0
bzlib-0.2                Compression and decompression in the bzip2 format
HDBC-sqlite3-1.0.1.0
hask-home-2006.3.23      Generate homepages for cabal packages
XmlRpc-2006.6.26
hnop-0.1                 Haskell No Operation
fps-0.7
HDBC-postgresql-1.0.1.0
rss-2006.7.12            A library for generating RSS 2.0 feeds.
HTTP-2006.7.7
Crypto-3.0.3             DES, Blowfish, AES, SHA1, MD5, RSA, X.509 Identity
and Attribute Certificates, General ASN.1 Support, Base64, PKCS8,
PKCS1v15, Hexdump, Support for Word128, Word192 and Word256 and Beyond, PKCS5
Padding, Various Encryption Modes e.g. Cipher Block Chaining all in one package.plugins-1.0
fastcgi-2006.8.5         A Haskell library for writing FastCGI programs
zlib-0.2                 Compression and decompression in the gzip and zlib formats
HDBC-1.0.1
xhtml-2006.7.5           A Haskell XHTML combinator library
darcs-graph-0.1
gd-2006.7.12             A Haskell binding to a subset of the GD graphics library
hmp3-1.1
Djinn-2005.12.14         A haskell proof generator
iconv-0.2                Perform character set conversion
exif-2006.7.11           A Haskell binding to a subset of libexif
HaXml-1.13.1             Utilities for manipulating XML documents

Re: Haskell Packages 6.6?

Lemmih
On 10/4/06, Isaac Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello good Haskell Hackers.
>
> We're pretty well along the way to getting cabal-install and friends
> working nicely.  We've got almost 30 packages in the database.

I added a few more. We have 32 now.

> Let's imagine something that would be awesome.  A set of Haskell
> packages which are all known to work together with a particular
> version of cabal (the one that GHC comes with), and a particular
> version of GHC.
>
> GHC version 6.6 will be released soon, and I think we should try to
> make this happen.
>
> Currently, we have a set of 27 "unstable" packages.  They may or may
> not work with each-other and such:
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/
>
> I just created an empty directory "testing".  I propose that we start
> testing packages, starting with the cabal release candidate that'll go
> into GHC 6.6, and make sure they work nicely together.  Once they're
> known to work, we can migrate them from the "unstable" directory to
> the "testing" directory.
>
> Once we have a sufficient collection of packages, and once ghc 6.6 is
> released, we can make a snapshot of this directory, call it
> "stable-6.6" or something.  Then if you have ghc 6.6 and
> cabal-install, you should be able to "cabal-install p" for any
> package, and it'll definitely work.

What about the packages that have external dependencies? They won't
necessarily be buildable on the server.

> So what will we need for this to happen?
>
> 1. An installed version of ghc 6.6 on the hackage/darcs server.  Maybe
>    in a chroot or something.  Maybe from the nightly build tree or the
>    previous snapshot?
>
> 2. Some initial set of packages (maybe just cabal-install) to start
>    off.
>
> 3. Some script that goes through and builds all of the "unstable"
>    packages in dependency order.  I think cabal-install can do this
>    already.  In fact, it would be ideal if we used cabal-install for
>    this.
>
> 4. The script should also run ./setup haddock and ./setup test.  If
>    the packages seem to work w/ 6.6 and the other packages in
>    "testing", it should get migrated from "unstable" to "testing".
>
> 5. A web interface (lemmih is working on it)

HackageDB is as good as it's gonna get for now. Btw, why is this step necessary?

> 6. A script to upload packages to "unstable" (Paolo is working on it).
>
> 7. Someone to spearhead all of this!

I have time. However, I also see a lot of problems.

  Lemmih

Re: Haskell Packages 6.6?

Isaac Jones-2
I'd like to trim the followup to cabal-devel@ or libraries@ so we
don't cross-post to all lists.

Lemmih <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 10/4/06, Isaac Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello good Haskell Hackers.
>>
>> We're pretty well along the way to getting cabal-install and friends
>> working nicely.  We've got almost 30 packages in the database.
>
> I added a few more. We have 32 now.

Cool!

(snip)
> What about the packages that have external dependencies? They won't
> necessarily be buildable on the server.

That's true.  For such packages, we could install their dependencies
by hand.  Or we could exclude them as being too outside the system.  I
think an automagic solution for this problem is beyond the scope of
cabal/hackage.

(snip)
>> 5. A web interface (lemmih is working on it)
>
> HackageDB is as good as it's gonna get for now. Btw, why is this
> step necessary?

The web interface is important for both the "unstable" and "stable"
collections.  People need to be able to look at what's available on
the server.  People need to know where to go for the authoritative
release of packages.

Simon Peyton Jones also happens to think that a web interface that
shows all of the packages is very important.  Maybe he can go into
some detail about why.

Would anyone else like to take up hacking on the web interface?
Lemmih's version is here:

http://hackage.homedns.org

>> 6. A script to upload packages to "unstable" (Paolo is working on it).
>>
>> 7. Someone to spearhead all of this!
>
> I have time. However, I also see a lot of problems.

Like what?

peace,

  isaac