Haskell Platform on Windows - cabal update problems.

Haskell Platform on Windows - cabal update problems.

Serguey Zefirov
I've installed recent Haskell Platform and tried to wrap my head
around cabal to finally figure out how to use it.

First thing I bumped into is that cabal.exe does not know about any
remote repositories, even about hackage. So after googling I found
that I should add a line "remote-repo:
hackage.haskell.org:http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive" into
my cabal config file. So I did.

And now I have "cabal update" command trying to download packages list
from hackage. To no avail.

Now it gives me even more interesting error: "cabal.EXE: fromFlag
NoFlag. Use fromFlagOrDefault"

Googling doesn't help here. What does it mean and how to get rid of it?

Re: Haskell Platform on Windows - cabal update problems.

Mikhail Glushenkov-2
Hi,

Serguey Zefirov <sergueyz <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I've installed recent Haskell Platform and tried to wrap my head
> around cabal to finally figure out how to use it.
>
> [...]
>
> Now it gives me even more interesting error: "cabal.EXE: fromFlag
> NoFlag. Use fromFlagOrDefault"
>
> Googling doesn't help here. What does it mean and how to get rid of it?

Try removing the 'Application Data/cabal' directory and running
'cabal update'. You probably made a syntax error in the config
file.

Here's a log of what I do after a clean HP install:

E:\>cabal
no command given (try --help)

E:\>cabal install pointfree
Config file path source is default config file.
Config file Application Data\cabal\config not found.
Writing default configuration to Application Data\cabal\config
Warning: The package list for 'hackage.haskell.org' does not exist. Run 'cabal
update' to download it.
cabal: There is no package named pointfree. Perhaps you need to run 'cabal
update' first?

E:\>cabal update
Downloading the latest package list from hackage.haskell.org

E:\>cabal install pointfree
Resolving dependencies...
Downloading pointfree-1.0.3...
Configuring pointfree-1.0.3...
Preprocessing executables for pointfree-1.0.3...
Building pointfree-1.0.3...
[1 of 7] Compiling Plugin.Pl.Common ( Plugin\Pl\Common.hs, dist\build\pointfree\
pointfree-tmp\Plugin\Pl\Common.o )
[2 of 7] Compiling Plugin.Pl.Parser ( Plugin\Pl\Parser.hs, dist\build\pointfree\
pointfree-tmp\Plugin\Pl\Parser.o )
[3 of 7] Compiling Plugin.Pl.PrettyPrinter ( Plugin\Pl\PrettyPrinter.hs, dist\bu
ild\pointfree\pointfree-tmp\Plugin\Pl\PrettyPrinter.o )
[4 of 7] Compiling Plugin.Pl.Transform ( Plugin\Pl\Transform.hs, dist\build\poin
tfree\pointfree-tmp\Plugin\Pl\Transform.o )
[5 of 7] Compiling Plugin.Pl.Rules  ( Plugin\Pl\Rules.hs, dist\build\pointfree\p
ointfree-tmp\Plugin\Pl\Rules.o )
[6 of 7] Compiling Plugin.Pl.Optimize ( Plugin\Pl\Optimize.hs, dist\build\pointf
ree\pointfree-tmp\Plugin\Pl\Optimize.o )
Linking dist\build\pointfree\pointfree.exe ...
Installing executable(s) in E:\\Application Data\cabal\bin

E:\>pointfree 1 + 2

Re: Re: Haskell Platform on Windows - cabal update problems.

Serguey Zefirov
2010/9/5 Mikhail Glushenkov <[hidden email]>:
> Try removing the 'Application Data/cabal' directory and running
> 'cabal update'. You probably made a syntax error in the config
> file.

You are clearly a magician. ;)

Now it works flawlessly.

Thank you very much.