Haskell Platform release schedule?

Dominick Samperi
The Haskell Platform wiki page says the platform follows a 6-month
release schedule, yet the last release occurred more than one year
ago, and I couldn't find information about future plans.

Are there plans to update the platform with ghc 7.8.2?

Thanks,
Dominick

Re: Haskell Platform release schedule?

Brandon Allbery

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 12:21 AM, Dominick Samperi <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Haskell Platform wiki page says the platform follows a 6-month
release schedule, yet the last release occurred more than one year
ago, and I couldn't find information about future plans.

Are there plans to update the platform with ghc 7.8.2?

The Platform keeps getting stuck waiting for GHC. The skipped release was because ghc 7.8 took some 6 months after "we plan to release just before ICFP 2013"(!); now it's waiting on ghc 7.8.3 bug fixes, which were "should be released by the end of the week" a couple of weeks ago. :( 7.8.3's bug fixes are significant enough that it would be bad to release a platform without them.

Re: Haskell Platform release schedule?

Johan Tibell-2
On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 3:00 PM, Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 12:21 AM, Dominick Samperi <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Haskell Platform wiki page says the platform follows a 6-month
release schedule, yet the last release occurred more than one year
ago, and I couldn't find information about future plans.

Are there plans to update the platform with ghc 7.8.2?

The Platform keeps getting stuck waiting for GHC. The skipped release was because ghc 7.8 took some 6 months after "we plan to release just before ICFP 2013"(!); now it's waiting on ghc 7.8.3 bug fixes, which were "should be released by the end of the week" a couple of weeks ago. :( 7.8.3's bug fixes are significant enough that it would be bad to release a platform without them.

And we couldn't go with 7.6 because of some problems on newer OS X:es right?

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Johan Tibell <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 3:00 PM, Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Platform keeps getting stuck waiting for GHC. The skipped release was because ghc 7.8 took some 6 months after "we plan to release just before ICFP 2013"(!); now it's waiting on ghc 7.8.3 bug fixes, which were "should be released by the end of the week" a couple of weeks ago. :( 7.8.3's bug fixes are significant enough that it would be bad to release a platform without them.

And we couldn't go with 7.6 because of some problems on newer OS X:es right?

Among other things, yes (ghc 7.6 needs to be patched to work with Xcode 5). 7.8 is supposed to improve some things on Windows as well; plus it'd be nice to have 7.8's improvements in general. But the OS X issues are the biggest user-facing ones, and come up pretty much every time someone tries to install the current Platform on OS X.

Re: Haskell Platform release schedule?

Carter Schonwald
Yup! Heck, one of the patches merged into 7.8.3 also makes it easy for a single ghc build to work on the full range of 10.7-10.10, which is pretty darn awesome.

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 12:21 AM, Dominick Samperi <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;djsamperi@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">djsamperi@...> wrote:
The Haskell Platform wiki page says the platform follows a 6-month
release schedule, yet the last release occurred more than one year
ago, and I couldn't find information about future plans.

Are there plans to update the platform with ghc 7.8.2?

The Platform keeps getting stuck waiting for GHC. The skipped release was because ghc 7.8 took some 6 months after "we plan to release just before ICFP 2013"(!); now it's waiting on ghc 7.8.3 bug fixes, which were "should be released by the end of the week" a couple of weeks ago. :( 7.8.3's bug fixes are significant enough that it would be bad to release a platform without them.

And we couldn't go with 7.6 because of some problems on newer OS X:es right?

Releasing two platforms with the same GHC version is a recipe for disaster as well. It's currently designed to cohabitate with other versions of the platform and that is dependent on each platform release having a unique GHC release.

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 5:02 PM, Bob Ippolito <[hidden email]> wrote:
Releasing two platforms with the same GHC version is a recipe for disaster as well. It's currently designed to cohabitate with other versions of the platform and that is dependent on each platform release having a unique GHC release.

This sounds like something we need to fix, or we can't make HP releases more often than GHC releases, which could mean >1 year between HP releases (i.e. which is the case with 7.8 I think).

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 5:02 PM, Bob Ippolito <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;bob@redivi.com&#39;);" target="_blank">bob@...> wrote:
Releasing two platforms with the same GHC version is a recipe for disaster as well. It's currently designed to cohabitate with other versions of the platform and that is dependent on each platform release having a unique GHC release.

This sounds like something we need to fix, or we can't make HP releases more often than GHC releases, which could mean >1 year between HP releases (i.e. which is the case with 7.8 I think).

Probably not going to happen any time soon, cabal would need to know what version of the platform is installed, if any, to get the ~/.ghc stuff correct to prevent them from trying to use the same package database.

Re: Haskell Platform release schedule?

Mark Lentczner-2
Haskell Platform 2014.2.0.0, based on GHC 7.8.3 just went alpha! I expect the platform team to run it through its paces and hope that we'll have no barrier to a release within two weeks at most - perhaps much sooner! If you want to be intrepid and try it - head to to the haskell-platform mailing list and look for announcements.​

As for versioning: The situation is that we can't (on Mac OS X at least) install two versions of Platform at the same time with the same GHC release. For patch release, 2014.2.0.0 and 2014.2.x.y this is fine and probably what we want: If we update a patch release, we sort of want people to use that, and not use the earlier vesion anymore. 2014.4.0.0 will need a new version of GHC... or will else we'll live with the idea that it isn't installable at the same time as 2014.2.0.0.

- Mark