Haskell Platform

Stuart A. Kurtz
Dear Colleagues,

What's the status of the Haskell Platform? Is it still the/a preferred way to install a working Haskell system? What is the update status of the Platform? [I note that the platform is at 8.0.2, whereas GHC is at 8.2.1, so I'm really asking if there's a roadmap/timeline for updates.]

I write because I teach an introductory class in Haskell, and we've long used the Platform as a way to get the system up and running on the student's systems. I'm at a quarter school, but I have to think this is a sharp question for anyone trying to teach a Haskell course at a semester school.

Is the Platform still the best way to do this? Will cabal continue to be a reasonable choice as default package manager?

Thank you for your consideration.

Peace,

Stu

Re: Haskell Platform

Francisco Vieira de Souza
I have the same question. I'm teaching an introductory course about "Functional Programming in Haskell" and I'm having the same problem in my course.

Thanks in advance,
F. Vieira

Dear Colleagues,

What's the status of the Haskell Platform? Is it still the/a preferred way to install a working Haskell system? What is the update status of the Platform? [I note that the platform is at 8.0.2, whereas GHC is at 8.2.1, so I'm really asking if there's a roadmap/timeline for updates.]

I write because I teach an introductory class in Haskell, and we've long used the Platform as a way to get the system up and running on the student's systems. I'm at a quarter school, but I have to think this is a sharp question for anyone trying to teach a Haskell course at a semester school.

Is the Platform still the best way to do this? Will cabal continue to be a reasonable choice as default package manager?

Thank you for your consideration.

Peace,

Stu

"Embora ninguém possa voltar atrás e fazer um novo começo, qualquer um pode começar agora e fazer um novo fim". (Chico Xavier)

Re: Haskell Platform

Gershom Bazerman
I’m hoping to release a new platform either tonight or tomorrow.

We delayed the release of the platform more than usual after the GHC release for two reasons. First: we wanted to wait for a new cabal-install release, which is now out, and provides integration with the experimental “backpack” module system in the new GHC. Second: We ran into what seems to be a serious bug in GHC 8.2.1 on win32 platforms, and wanted to see if it could be resolved quickly. [1] The current plan is to just only provide a 64 bit windows release for 8.2.1 as we don’t believe the 32 bit release is stable at this time.

In general, we continue to support the platform, and aim for releases within a few weeks of GHC releases, or sooner. And from download statistics, while I can’t judge them comparitively, it still seems to be widely downloaded and installed, especially on windows systems. There are certainly other choices, and I don’t think there is any “communitywide” consensus across different userbases (be they commercial, of various sorts, educational, etc.), but we on the platform team definitely are continuing to support it, and hopefully improve its quality over time.

As for cabal — the team can speak to that better than I. But there’s certainly a great deal of support and active development going on at the moment (witness the new backpack support in cabal-install 2.0 for example), and the team working on it seems to have acquired some steady momentum. It also remains widely used by all accounts.

Best,
Gershom

[1]: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/14081

On August 23, 2017 at 5:34:41 PM, Stuart A. Kurtz ([hidden email]) wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> What's the status of the Haskell Platform? Is it still the/a preferred way to install
> a working Haskell system? What is the update status of the Platform? [I note that the platform
> is at 8.0.2, whereas GHC is at 8.2.1, so I'm really asking if there's a roadmap/timeline
> for updates.]
>
> I write because I teach an introductory class in Haskell, and we've long used the Platform
> as a way to get the system up and running on the student's systems. I'm at a quarter school,
> but I have to think this is a sharp question for anyone trying to teach a Haskell course
> at a semester school.
>
> Is the Platform still the best way to do this? Will cabal continue to be a reasonable choice
> as default package manager?
>
> Thank you for your consideration.
>
> Peace,
>
> Stu

Re: Haskell Platform

Harendra Kumar
Hi Stuart,

I am not sure if there is a unanimous preferred way of installing Haskell. I guess the answer depends on who you ask. My preferred choice is "stack". I am no university prof or a school teacher but I do teach Haskell to my 6th grader and 2nd grader kids. I gave them a laptop (Mac OS) and told them how to install "stack" and they did it in a jiffy. They have been using it for several months with no complaints whatsoever. If little kids can do it I guess it should not be a problem for univ students.

I have also been using stack myself for my professional work and it resonates well with my own thinking of how a package (and language tools) manager should behave. Additionally the stack team is very responsive if you want to get something fixed. When I started learning Haskell a few years ago I really enjoyed contributing to stack thanks to Michael Sloan's quick responses and encouraging feedback on the PRs.

-harendra

On 23 August 2017 at 22:16, Stuart A. Kurtz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dear Gershom,

> I’m hoping to release a new platform either tonight or tomorrow.

Excellent news! And thank you very much for your hard work getting this done. It is extraordinarily valuable to folks like me.

Peace,

Stu

Re: Haskell Platform

butrfeld
Hi Stuart,

 I'll give a strong vote for "stack" as well
 - it also has the very nice property where it identfifies errors in the associated project cabal file
and gives correct suggestions for fixing them - it has made my life infinitely easier of late

PS - I teach Haskell at university level...

Cheers, Andrew

On 24 Aug 2017, at 02:25, Harendra Kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Andrew Butterfield
School of Computer Science & Statistics
Trinity College
Dublin 2, Ireland

Re: Haskell Platform

mike thomas
Re the primary school kids using Haskell, that is amazing Harendra.   Well done.

I wonder what Alan Kay and his team would think - Haskell is the new Smalltalk!