Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006

Donald Bruce Stewart

                      Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006

   Greetings, and thanks for reading issue 28 of HWN, a weekly newsletter
   covering developments in the Haskell community. Each Monday, new
   editions are posted to [1]the Haskell mailing list and to [2]The
   Haskell Sequence. [3]RSS is also available.

   2. http://sequence.complete.org/
   3. http://sequence.complete.org/node/feed

Announcements

     * Alternative to Text.Regex. Chris Kuklewicz [4]announced an
       alternative to Text.Regex. While working on the [5]language
       shootout, Chris implemented a new efficient regex engine, using
       parsec. It contructs a parser from a string representation of a
       regular expression.

   4. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/11825
   5. http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=all

     * pass.net. S. Alexander Jacobson [6]launched Pass.net. Written in
       Haskell, using HAppS, Pass.net lets websites replace registration,
       confirmation mails, and multiple passwords with a single login,
       authenticating via their email domain.

   6. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/11824

Haskell'

   This section covers activity on [7]Haskell'.
     * [8]Partial application syntax
     * [9]Extending the `...` notation
     * [10]The dreaded offside rule
     * [11]Strictness standardization

   7. http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime
   8. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.prime/874
   9. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.prime/881
  10. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.prime/883
  11. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.prime/901

Discussion

     * Non-trivial markup transformations. Further on last week's article
       on encoding markup in Haskell, Oleg Kiselyov [12]demonstrates
       non-trivial transformations of marked-up data, markup
       transformations by successive rewriting (aka, `higher-order tags')
       and the easy definition of new tags.

  12. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general/13393

     * Popular libraries and tools. John Hughes [13]posted (and [14]here)
       some interesting figures on the most important libraries and
       tools, based on the results of his survey of users earlier this
       year.

  13. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/11829
  14. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/11875

     * haskell-prime fun. Just for fun, Ross Paterson [15]posted, some
       thought-provoking [16]statistics on haskell-prime traffic.

  15. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/11831
  16. http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~ross/haskell-prime-stats/

     * New collections package. Jean-Philippe Bernardy [17]hinted that
       his new collections package is almost done.

  17. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cvs.ghc/13880

     * Is notMember not member? John Meacham [18]sparked a bit of a
       discussion on whether negated boolean functions are useful with a
       patch adding Data.Set and Data.Map.notMember.

  18. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.libraries/4411

     * Namespace games. In a similar vein, Don Stewart [19]triggered
       discussion on how to sort the hierarchical namespace, when
       proposing alternatives to the longish Text.ParserCombinators
       module name.

  19. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.libraries/4383

Darcs Corner

     * Darcs-server. Unsatisified with the current techniques for
       centralised development with darcs, Daan Leijen went ahead and
       [20]wrote darcs-server. With darcs-server you can:

          + push changes remotely via a CGI script
          + or push changes via a single SSH account that serves many
            users
          + use cryptographic verification and authorization of users for
            reading and writing
          + use gpg encryption (for CGI)
          + use non-public repositories that can only be accessed by
            authorized users.

  20. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.darcs.user/9686

     * darcsweb 0.15, by Alberto Bertogli, has been [21]released.

  21. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.darcs.user/9664

Contributing to HWN

   You can help us create new editions of this newsletter. Please see the
   [22]contributing information, send stories to dons -at-
   cse.unsw.edu.au. The darcs repository is available at darcs get
   http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/hwn

  22. http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/HWN

Re: Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006

Sebastian Sylvan
On 3/13/06, Donald Bruce Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

>                       Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006
>
>    Greetings, and thanks for reading issue 28 of HWN, a weekly newsletter
>    covering developments in the Haskell community. Each Monday, new
>    editions are posted to [1]the Haskell mailing list and to [2]The
>    Haskell Sequence. [3]RSS is also available.

May I just make a request (I do it on the list so that anyone who
doesn't agree can speak up): Put the HWN in the haskell.org website
(in the news section). It probably should be trimmed down to the more
generally interesting things (such as library announcements).

A lot of people wouldn't subscribe to a mailing list for a language,
but could benefit from these news. Also, it lets a casual visitor know
that the Haskell community is active (if they see a bunch of news post
dated a few days ago).

/S

--
Sebastian Sylvan
+46(0)736-818655

Re: Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006

Donald Bruce Stewart
sebastian.sylvan:

> On 3/13/06, Donald Bruce Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >                       Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006
> >
> >    Greetings, and thanks for reading issue 28 of HWN, a weekly newsletter
> >    covering developments in the Haskell community. Each Monday, new
> >    editions are posted to [1]the Haskell mailing list and to [2]The
> >    Haskell Sequence. [3]RSS is also available.
>
> May I just make a request (I do it on the list so that anyone who
> doesn't agree can speak up): Put the HWN in the haskell.org website
> (in the news section). It probably should be trimmed down to the more
> generally interesting things (such as library announcements).
>
> A lot of people wouldn't subscribe to a mailing list for a language,
> but could benefit from these news. Also, it lets a casual visitor know
> that the Haskell community is active (if they see a bunch of news post
> dated a few days ago).

With a view to this I started collecting just the announcements on a
`feed' here:
    http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/hwn/announce.html

These should serve as a basis for the content, I think.

Now, how would people like these added? 2 or 3 a week will quickly push
some things further down. Any opinions on the format?

-- Don

Re: Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006

John Hughes-4

>With a view to this I started collecting just the announcements on a
>`feed' here:
>    http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/hwn/announce.html
>
>These should serve as a basis for the content, I think.

Can you add an actual date? Seeing things dated a few days ago does
contribute to a feeling of great activity, I think.

John

Re: Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006

Donald Bruce Stewart
rjmh:
> >With a view to this I started collecting just the announcements on a
> >`feed' here:
> >   http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/hwn/announce.html
> >
> >These should serve as a basis for the content, I think.
>
> Can you add an actual date? Seeing things dated a few days ago does
> contribute to a feeling of great activity, I think.

Done!  haskell.org now takes a feed of all hwn headlines.

:)

Cheers,
 Don

Re: Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006

Jared Updike
The dates on the feed are in international (non-US) order, i.e. Mar 13
2006 = 13/03/2006. Is there a way to make this unambiguous by changing
the month to a word instead of a number? Just curious...

   Jared.

On 3/16/06, Donald Bruce Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> rjmh:
> > >With a view to this I started collecting just the announcements on a
> > >`feed' here:
> > >   http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/hwn/announce.html
> > >
> > >These should serve as a basis for the content, I think.
> >
> > Can you add an actual date? Seeing things dated a few days ago does
> > contribute to a feeling of great activity, I think.
>
> Done!  haskell.org now takes a feed of all hwn headlines.
>
> :)
>
> Cheers,
>  Don

http://www.updike.org/~jared/
reverse ")-:"

Re: Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006

Donald Bruce Stewart
Well, there is a way -- it's fairly easy with the right regex --  but
is it really ambiguous? Do people find it confusing? What do other sites do?

-- Don

jupdike:

> The dates on the feed are in international (non-US) order, i.e. Mar 13
> 2006 = 13/03/2006. Is there a way to make this unambiguous by changing
> the month to a word instead of a number? Just curious...
>
>    Jared.
>
> On 3/16/06, Donald Bruce Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > rjmh:

> > > Can you add an actual date? Seeing things dated a few days ago does
> > > contribute to a feeling of great activity, I think.
> >
> > Done!  haskell.org now takes a feed of all hwn headlines.
> >
> > :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> >  Don

> http://www.updike.org/~jared/
> reverse ")-:"

Re: Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006

Aaron Denney
On 2006-03-17, Donald Bruce Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, there is a way -- it's fairly easy with the right regex --  but
> is it really ambiguous? Do people find it confusing? What do other sites do?

Why not the ISO standard YYYY-MM-DD?

--
Aaron Denney
-><-

Re: Re: Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006

Jon Fairbairn
On 2006-03-17 at 06:58GMT Aaron Denney wrote:
> On 2006-03-17, Donald Bruce Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Well, there is a way -- it's fairly easy with the right regex --  but
> > is it really ambiguous? Do people find it confusing? What do other sites do?
>
> Why not the ISO standard YYYY-MM-DD?

Surely. This is, after all, an international effort.

I can't see why people don't just use this format in
general, nowadays.  Certainly it makes sense to use it in
any context where the nationality of the reader is unknown.

 Jón

Jón Fairbairn                              Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk

Re: Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho-2
Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> Well, there is a way -- it's fairly easy with the right regex --  but
> is it really ambiguous? Do people find it confusing? What do other sites do?

Yes, it's annoying (it isn't ambigous right now, but it will be again
early next month). Either use an inherently unambiguous format (anything
that writes out or abbreviates the month, instead of using digits), or
use the international standard YYYY-MM-DD (which is unambiguous by ISO
fiat).

On 3/17/06, Donald Bruce Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> rjmh:
> > >With a view to this I started collecting just the announcements on a
> > >`feed' here:
> > >   http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/hwn/announce.html
> > >
> > >These should serve as a basis for the content, I think.
> >
> > Can you add an actual date? Seeing things dated a few days ago does
> > contribute to a feeling of great activity, I think.
>
> Done!  haskell.org now takes a feed of all hwn headlines.
>
> :)

Great!
Just one question though, do we really need two news-sections? I
originally meant replacing the current "news" with a HWN feed (since
the former is so rarely updated anyway), not adding another feed.
What do the rest of you think?

/S

--
Sebastian Sylvan
+46(0)736-818655

Re: Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006

Donald Bruce Stewart
antti-juhani:
> Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> > Well, there is a way -- it's fairly easy with the right regex --  but
> > is it really ambiguous? Do people find it confusing? What do other sites do?
>
> Yes, it's annoying (it isn't ambigous right now, but it will be again
> early next month). Either use an inherently unambiguous format (anything
> that writes out or abbreviates the month, instead of using digits), or
> use the international standard YYYY-MM-DD (which is unambiguous by ISO
> fiat).

Ok, I'll switch it to YYYY-MM-DD :)

-- Don

Re: Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006

Donald Bruce Stewart
sebastian.sylvan:

> On 3/17/06, Donald Bruce Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > rjmh:

> > > Can you add an actual date? Seeing things dated a few days ago does
> > > contribute to a feeling of great activity, I think.
> >
> > Done!  haskell.org now takes a feed of all hwn headlines.
> >
> > :)
>
> Great!
> Just one question though, do we really need two news-sections? I
> originally meant replacing the current "news" with a HWN feed (since
> the former is so rarely updated anyway), not adding another feed.
> What do the rest of you think?

Well, I just didn't want to wipe the 'important' news items.
Not quite sure what to do here.

-- Don

Re: Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006

Sebastian Sylvan
On 3/17/06, Donald Bruce Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> sebastian.sylvan:
> > On 3/17/06, Donald Bruce Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > rjmh:

> > > Done!  haskell.org now takes a feed of all hwn headlines.
> > >
> > > :)
> >
> > Great!
> > Just one question though, do we really need two news-sections? I
> > originally meant replacing the current "news" with a HWN feed (since
> > the former is so rarely updated anyway), not adding another feed.
> > What do the rest of you think?
>
> Well, I just didn't want to wipe the 'important' news items.
> Not quite sure what to do here.
>
> -- Don

The ICFP boasting could be moved elsewhere (perhaps put the quote at
the very top under the logo), the rest of the items seem "regular"
enough to be popped off the news list just like any other HWN-type
news.
The only regularly occuring news that really need to stick around for
longer are events announcements, IMO, and we already have a separate
feed for that right on the front page as well.

So, I think the best plan is to have the HWN stuff under "news" from
now on, keep the events feed, and put any other "important" news in a
case-by-case appropriate place (e.g. putting the "discriminate
hackers" quote somewhere on the front page).

/S
--
Sebastian Sylvan
+46(0)736-818655

Re: Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006

Donald Bruce Stewart
sebastian.sylvan:

> The ICFP boasting could be moved elsewhere (perhaps put the quote at
> the very top under the logo), the rest of the items seem "regular"
> enough to be popped off the news list just like any other HWN-type
> news.
> The only regularly occuring news that really need to stick around for
> longer are events announcements, IMO, and we already have a separate
> feed for that right on the front page as well.
>
> So, I think the best plan is to have the HWN stuff under "news" from
> now on, keep the events feed, and put any other "important" news in a
> case-by-case appropriate place (e.g. putting the "discriminate
> hackers" quote somewhere on the front page).

Ok. Done!

It looks much nicer, I agree.

So, the frontpage now has recent news, with our icfp prize at the top.
Then if you go to 'Old news' you get hwn news back to 2005, and then
the haskell.org news going back to 2001. I merged the frontpage
haskell.org news into the 2005 news.

Opinions?

-- Don

Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> antti-juhani:
>>Yes, it's annoying (it isn't ambigous right now, but it will be again
>>early next month). Either use an inherently unambiguous format (anything
>>that writes out or abbreviates the month, instead of using digits), or
>>use the international standard YYYY-MM-DD (which is unambiguous by ISO
>>fiat).
>
> Ok, I'll switch it to YYYY-MM-DD :)

It's now YYYY/MM/DD, and that's not the international standard format,
the international standard format has dashes insteaad of soliduses.

Re: Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006

Claus Reinke
> So, the frontpage now has recent news, with our icfp prize at the top.
> Opinions?

do I understand correctly that the top items under "News" will be
updated manually and less frequently, to hold items that are deemed
more important, or more permanent, than the usual headline. and the
rest of it is now an automatic feed?

good in general, and thanks for making the change, but:

please put the Haskell-prime effort back into the into the permanent
top of the "News" section (does noone care about the language this
is all about??). when the time comes around for the next communities
report, it would also go in there again, for at least a month before
and after release, but for now, it is fine in the "Community" section.

since the feed covers announcements, and not all of those end up
with a link on haskell.org otherwise, that pointer to the feed archive
from the libraries and tools section is likely to be very helpful.

cheers,
claus

Re: Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006

Vo Minh Thu
2006/3/18, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <[hidden email]>:

> Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> > antti-juhani:
> >>Yes, it's annoying (it isn't ambigous right now, but it will be again
> >>early next month). Either use an inherently unambiguous format (anything
> >>that writes out or abbreviates the month, instead of using digits), or
> >>use the international standard YYYY-MM-DD (which is unambiguous by ISO
> >>fiat).
> >
> > Ok, I'll switch it to YYYY-MM-DD :)
>
> It's now YYYY/MM/DD, and that's not the international standard format,
> the international standard format has dashes insteaad of soliduses.

hi,
i might look a bit annoying but it's not clear at first glance if each
date belongs to the text above or under the date ...

but definitely, haskell.org looks active !
bye,
mt

Re: Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006

Donald Bruce Stewart
claus.reinke:
> >So, the frontpage now has recent news, with our icfp prize at the top.
> >Opinions?
>
> do I understand correctly that the top items under "News" will be
> updated manually and less frequently, to hold items that are deemed
> more important, or more permanent, than the usual headline. and the
> rest of it is now an automatic feed?

Yes. That's the idea.

All the old news, and the entire HWN announcments archive, is now
available in the Old_news page.

New items get added each week, when the HWN comes out, pushing the
oldest items back on to the Old_news page.

> good in general, and thanks for making the change, but:
>
> please put the Haskell-prime effort back into the into the permanent
> top of the "News" section (does noone care about the language this
> is all about??). when the time comes around for the next communities
> report, it would also go in there again, for at least a month before
> and after release, but for now, it is fine in the "Community" section.

Ok. Done.

> since the feed covers announcements, and not all of those end up
> with a link on haskell.org otherwise, that pointer to the feed archive
> from the libraries and tools section is likely to be very helpful.

I don't understand what you are suggesting here. Can you elaborate?

-- Don

Re: Haskell Weekly News: March 13, 2006

Claus Reinke
>> please put the Haskell-prime effort back into the into the permanent
>> top of the "News" section (does noone care about the language this
> Ok. Done.

thanks

>> since the feed covers announcements, and not all of those end up
>> with a link on haskell.org otherwise, that pointer to the feed archive
>> from the libraries and tools section is likely to be very helpful.
>
> I don't understand what you are suggesting here. Can you elaborate?

no suggestion. just appreciation!-)

I do not usually find whatever I am looking for in the libraries and
tools section, but now that the section has a link to the HWN
announcements archive, there is an increased chance of finding
things. and I wanted to point out that little addition for those like
me who had not noticed it before.

cheers,
claus