Haskell Weekly News?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Haskell Weekly News?

aditya siram-2
Hi all,
I haven't seen a "Haskell Weekly News" in a while. Is there anything I
can do to help?
-deech
_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Haskell Weekly News?

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
On 27 April 2010 08:08, aditya siram <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I haven't seen a "Haskell Weekly News" in a while. Is there anything I
> can do to help?

My guess is do John's marking, etc. for him so that he has some time
to do the HWN!

We also want him to avoid this situation: http://ro-che.info/ccc/06.html :p

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com
_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Haskell Weekly News?

jfredett
Hehe,

  Mostly, at the moment, as I mentioned to Deech, what is holding me  
up is trying to get HWN and 7 classes worth of finals and papers done.  
This is the last two weeks of my last semester, but it should be all  
done soon.

  I hope to get HWN out shortly after it's all finished up. I shall  
return!

/Joe

On Apr 26, 2010, at 7:54 PM, Ivan Miljenovic wrote:

> On 27 April 2010 08:08, aditya siram <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I haven't seen a "Haskell Weekly News" in a while. Is there  
>> anything I
>> can do to help?
>
> My guess is do John's marking, etc. for him so that he has some time
> to do the HWN!
>
> We also want him to avoid this situation: http://ro-che.info/ccc/06.html 
>  :p
>
> --
> Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
> [hidden email]
> IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com
> _______________________________________________
> Haskell-Cafe mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Haskell Weekly News?

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
On 27 April 2010 10:08, Joe Fredette <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I hope to get HWN out shortly after it's all finished up. I shall return!

As long as you don't end up copying the Gentoo situation where the
Gentoo Weekly News died, was resurrected (not sure how many times),
was converted to the Gentoo Monthly News to make it simpler, and then
became the Gentoo Never News (hey, GNN sounds kinda catchy, though not
as good as CNNNN :p).

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com
_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Haskell Weekly News?

jfredett
Most certainly, the HWN is easy to put together, it's just a little  
time consuming, the weekly schedule is just enough under a normal 40-
hour courseload. When that number jumps into the high billions (as it  
did this last semester), it becomes someone more difficult to fit in.

HWN will always be HWN, at least as long as I can keep it that way. :D

/Joe


On Apr 26, 2010, at 8:17 PM, Ivan Miljenovic wrote:

> On 27 April 2010 10:08, Joe Fredette <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  I hope to get HWN out shortly after it's all finished up. I shall  
>> return!
>
> As long as you don't end up copying the Gentoo situation where the
> Gentoo Weekly News died, was resurrected (not sure how many times),
> was converted to the Gentoo Monthly News to make it simpler, and then
> became the Gentoo Never News (hey, GNN sounds kinda catchy, though not
> as good as CNNNN :p).
>
> --
> Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
> [hidden email]
> IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Haskell Weekly News?

David Sankel
I'm wondering if a monetary incentive would keep the person who does this work more accountable. I personally would be willing to contribute to continue getting this service. I wonder if there are others as well.

David

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Joe Fredette <[hidden email]> wrote:
Most certainly, the HWN is easy to put together, it's just a little time consuming, the weekly schedule is just enough under a normal 40-hour courseload. When that number jumps into the high billions (as it did this last semester), it becomes someone more difficult to fit in.

HWN will always be HWN, at least as long as I can keep it that way. :D

/Joe



On Apr 26, 2010, at 8:17 PM, Ivan Miljenovic wrote:

On 27 April 2010 10:08, Joe Fredette <[hidden email]> wrote:
 I hope to get HWN out shortly after it's all finished up. I shall return!

As long as you don't end up copying the Gentoo situation where the
Gentoo Weekly News died, was resurrected (not sure how many times),
was converted to the Gentoo Monthly News to make it simpler, and then
became the Gentoo Never News (hey, GNN sounds kinda catchy, though not
as good as CNNNN :p).

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe



--
David Sankel
Sankel Software

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Haskell Weekly News?

David Virebayre
On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 7:47 AM, David Sankel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm wondering if a monetary incentive would keep the person who does this
> work more accountable. I personally would be willing to contribute to
> continue getting this service. I wonder if there are others as well.

I don't think money would be an incentive for someone that has "7
classes worth of finals and papers" to do

Now a time machine.....


David.
_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Haskell Weekly News?

jfredett
While I would not be opposed to being paid, I don't think it's at all  
necessary or even really appropriate. I liken the job to volunteering  
at a local community action group -- not really the kind of thing you  
get paid for.

That said, if any of you have time machines/time dilation devices in  
the works, I'm happy to beta test.

One more week...

/Joe

On Apr 28, 2010, at 2:40 AM, David Virebayre wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 7:47 AM, David Sankel <[hidden email]>  
> wrote:
>> I'm wondering if a monetary incentive would keep the person who  
>> does this
>> work more accountable. I personally would be willing to contribute to
>> continue getting this service. I wonder if there are others as well.
>
> I don't think money would be an incentive for someone that has "7
> classes worth of finals and papers" to do
>
> Now a time machine.....
>
>
> David.

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Haskell Weekly News?

Heinrich Apfelmus
In reply to this post by David Sankel
David Sankel wrote:
> I'm wondering if a monetary incentive would keep the person who does this
> work more accountable. I personally would be willing to contribute to
> continue getting this service. I wonder if there are others as well.

Maybe Flattr  http://flattr.com/  fits the bill concerning monetary
appreciation.


Regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Haskell Weekly News?

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
In reply to this post by jfredett
Joe Fredette <[hidden email]> writes:
> That said, if any of you have time machines/time dilation devices in
> the works, I'm happy to beta test.

Don't be silly, you don't need more time, you need more _you_
(i.e. clones); after all, nothing ever goes wrong with clones! :p

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com
_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Haskell Weekly News?

Vo Minh Thu
2010/4/28 Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <[hidden email]>:
> Joe Fredette <[hidden email]> writes:
>> That said, if any of you have time machines/time dilation devices in
>> the works, I'm happy to beta test.
>
> Don't be silly, you don't need more time, you need more _you_
> (i.e. clones); after all, nothing ever goes wrong with clones! :p

Don't want to dismiss your comment but about clones and time machines,
the only good source of information is their creators, Kelvin and
Hobbes.

Thu
_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Haskell Weekly News?

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
minh thu <[hidden email]> writes:

> 2010/4/28 Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <[hidden email]>:
>> Joe Fredette <[hidden email]> writes:
>>> That said, if any of you have time machines/time dilation devices in
>>> the works, I'm happy to beta test.
>>
>> Don't be silly, you don't need more time, you need more _you_
>> (i.e. clones); after all, nothing ever goes wrong with clones! :p
>
> Don't want to dismiss your comment but about clones and time machines,
> the only good source of information is their creators, Kelvin and
> Hobbes.

You mean Calvin?

Anyway, the transmogrifier was _much_ better!

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com
_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Haskell Weekly News?

Vo Minh Thu
2010/4/28 Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <[hidden email]>:

> minh thu <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> 2010/4/28 Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <[hidden email]>:
>>> Joe Fredette <[hidden email]> writes:
>>>> That said, if any of you have time machines/time dilation devices in
>>>> the works, I'm happy to beta test.
>>>
>>> Don't be silly, you don't need more time, you need more _you_
>>> (i.e. clones); after all, nothing ever goes wrong with clones! :p
>>
>> Don't want to dismiss your comment but about clones and time machines,
>> the only good source of information is their creators, Kelvin and
>> Hobbes.
>
> You mean Calvin?

Damn, of course.

> Anyway, the transmogrifier was _much_ better!

Cardboards and abstractions ... seems like programming :)

Thu
_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Haskell Weekly News?

aditya siram-2
In reply to this post by jfredett
I haven't seen HWN in a while. If there is still community interest,
how can we help you with this?

-deech

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 2:45 AM, Joe Fredette <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While I would not be opposed to being paid, I don't think it's at all
> necessary or even really appropriate. I liken the job to volunteering at a
> local community action group -- not really the kind of thing you get paid
> for.
>
> That said, if any of you have time machines/time dilation devices in the
> works, I'm happy to beta test.
>
> One more week...
>
> /Joe
>
> On Apr 28, 2010, at 2:40 AM, David Virebayre wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 7:47 AM, David Sankel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if a monetary incentive would keep the person who does this
>>> work more accountable. I personally would be willing to contribute to
>>> continue getting this service. I wonder if there are others as well.
>>
>> I don't think money would be an incentive for someone that has "7
>> classes worth of finals and papers" to do
>>
>> Now a time machine.....
>>
>>
>> David.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Haskell-Cafe mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
>
_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Haskell Weekly News?

Vo Minh Thu
2010/6/23 aditya siram <[hidden email]>:
> I haven't seen HWN in a while. If there is still community interest,
> how can we help you with this?

It will come back, see this thread:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/cdw38/hwn_it_will_be_back_promise/

Cheers,
Thu
_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Haskell Weekly News?

aditya siram-2
Neat. Thanks!
-deech

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Vo Minh Thu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/6/23 aditya siram <[hidden email]>:
>> I haven't seen HWN in a while. If there is still community interest,
>> how can we help you with this?
>
> It will come back, see this thread:
> http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/cdw38/hwn_it_will_be_back_promise/
>
> Cheers,
> Thu
>
_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Haskell Weekly News?

jfredett
Yah, this is gonna sound like a crappy thing -- but my computer is  
still broken. What I thought was a faulty SATA port seems to actually  
be an issue with the harddrive, so -- one more week is the punchline.  
I'm really sorry guys...


/Joe

On Jun 23, 2010, at 10:13 AM, aditya siram wrote:

> Neat. Thanks!
> -deech
>
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Vo Minh Thu <[hidden email]>  
> wrote:
>> 2010/6/23 aditya siram <[hidden email]>:
>>> I haven't seen HWN in a while. If there is still community interest,
>>> how can we help you with this?
>>
>> It will come back, see this thread:
>> http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/cdw38/hwn_it_will_be_back_promise/
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Thu
>>

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe