Haskell and SCADA

Vasili I. Galchin
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCADA ,,,, this post is in particular for people who are somewhat familliar with SCADA.

Question: are SCADA hardware processors running anything like an operating system that would allow software to be written in Haskell??

Vasili

Re: Haskell and SCADA

Carter Schonwald
something likeĀ http://ivorylang.org/ivory-introduction.html (which is written in haskell) is relevant for those sorts of control systems I think

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 12:26 PM, Vasili I. Galchin <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCADA ,,,, this post is in particular for people who are somewhat familliar with SCADA.

Question: are SCADA hardware processors running anything like an operating system that would allow software to be written in Haskell??

Vasili

Re: Haskell and SCADA

Scott Murphy
SCADA processors use a variety of different platforms.  Some run as soft devices, these allow you to run other programs in the background.
But industrial control SCADA-Pak style devices are written embedded hard or with custom RTOS.  To write in haskell you would have to get access to the firmware.

Some manufacturers will let you do this but you have to sign NDA and stuff.

On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 11:26:56 AM UTC-6, Vasili I. Galchin wrote:

Question: are SCADA hardware processors running anything like an operating system that would allow software to be written in Haskell??

Vasili

Re: Haskell and SCADA

Stephen Tetley-2
SCADA (or PLC code at least) is often generated from graphical ladder
diagrams. It would be easy to believe a Haskell embedded DSL would be
more flexible than a visual programming language, but the people
writing PLC code are already comfortable with their tools. Haskell
would be a big change [*].

[*] I currently work in the water industry in the UK - the people
configuring SCADA and writing PLC code are hardware engineers not
programmers. Programming is just something they need to do to get the
system working, they aren't sitting around dreaming after better
programming tools.