Quantcast

Haskell on Debian - gcc compilation problem with cabal installed libs like hmatrix, etc.

Haskell on Debian - gcc compilation problem with cabal installed libs like hmatrix, etc.

gutti
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Haskell on Debian - gcc compilation problem with cabal installed libs like hmatrix, etc.

Jason
Hi Phil,

I hope your Haskell journey so far has been enjoyable. I'm rather new myself, but I'm pretty sure the answer to your question is:

By default, ghc doesn't try to include all the libraries that you import when you compile with "ghc test.hs". You can either specify these manually: "ghc test.hs -package hmatrix" or tell ghc to try and intelligently track down all the relevant packages with: "ghc --make test.hs".

I hope that helps!
--
Jason M. Knight
Ph.D. Electrical Engineering '13

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 2:32 PM, gutti <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I'm very new to Haskell and this Forum, just doing my first steps ... -- Try
to use the hmatrix package for vector and matrix calculations.

The haskell compilation works (no problem in GHCi mode), the gcc however
compilation fails with messages like:
EFA.o: In function `r1bo_info':
(.text+0x48): undefined reference to
`hmatrixzm0zi10zi0zi0_NumericziVector_zdfNumVector1_closure'
EFA.o: In function `r1bs_info':
(.text+0x10a): undefined reference to
`hmatrixzm0zi10zi0zi0_NumericziVector_zdfFractionalVector_closure'

Obviously gcc doesn't know where the according libraries are installed. Same
problem with other packages.

I installed the haskell base system over debian (debian squeeze), gcc
version 4.4.5. - Hmatrix and other packages are installed and build over
cabel into local folder ~/.cabal/lib

Do I need to set a system path, or change cabal options or .. ?

Thanks in advance, Phil

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Haskell on Debian - gcc compilation problem with cabal installed libs like hmatrix, etc.

Henk-Jan van Tuyl
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 21:32:00 +0100, gutti <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Try
> to use the hmatrix package for vector and matrix calculations.
>
> The haskell compilation works (no problem in GHCi mode), the gcc however
> compilation fails with messages like:
> EFA.o: In function `r1bo_info':
> (.text+0x48): undefined reference to
> `hmatrixzm0zi10zi0zi0_NumericziVector_zdfNumVector1_closure'
> EFA.o: In function `r1bs_info':
> (.text+0x10a): undefined reference to
> `hmatrixzm0zi10zi0zi0_NumericziVector_zdfFractionalVector_closure'
>
> Obviously gcc doesn't know where the according libraries are installed.
> Same problem with other packages.

The description of the package states: "internally implemented using GSL,
BLAS and LAPACK"; I suppose you need to install these (non-Haskell)
packages first.

Regards,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

--
http://Van.Tuyl.eu/

Re: Haskell on Debian - gcc compilation problem with cabal installed libs like hmatrix, etc.

Jason
Phil,

I found Haskell to be a pretty steep slope at first too, but it helped me to start out small and work my way up. And now its my favorite tool in the arsenal!

One of the steps I took was to do quite a few of the Project Euler (http://projecteuler.net/) problems, and then after cobbling together my own solution (sometimes with small peeks at the Project Euler Haskell Solutions (http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Euler_problems)) I could see all the other Haskell solutions in the forums.

As far as scientific style programming goes, I liked this tutorial which walks you through an entire program including a section on simulated annealing: http://www.lisperati.com/haskell/.

In the large, I really liked this haskell-cafe response by Jonathan in regards to complete programs in Haskell: http://www.mail-archive.com/haskell-cafe@.../msg85374.html
--
Jason M. Knight
Ph.D. Electrical Engineering '13
Texas A&M University
Cell: 512-814-8101

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 5:25 PM, gutti <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Jason,

many,many thanks - it works. -- u saved the day

Haskell rather seems like a steeper slope to be honest,
but I find the whole language concept very fascinating.

What I can't imagine yet, how to address typical oo-problems especially
when its "not allowed" to update and change variables ...

Cheers Phil