Haskell on the iPhone

Ryan Trinkle
Dear Haskellers,

Recently, there's been a groundswell of activity in the Haskell community regarding the Haskell's use in developing iPhone games.  The iPhone is a powerful, innovative platform (with a great monetization scheme, to boot), and it's not surprising that many of us would want to develop apps for it in our favorite language.

I am proud to announce today that my company, iPwn Studios Inc., is currently preparing to release an open source patch to GHC that allows it to output binaries for iPhone OS.  The patch will be released under a BSD license as soon as possible and hopefully integrated into the GHC main-line in the near future.  As the first (to my knowledge) Haskell-based game studio, iPwn Studios is committed to giving back to the Haskell community through open source - contributing to a rising tide that lifts us all.

I would like to take this opportunity to propose the creation of a haskell-iphone mailing list, so that all Haskellers working with the iPhone - whether for profit or for pleasure - can come together to make Haskell a force to be reckoned with in the burgeoning iPhone App marketplace.

Best wishes,
Ryan Trinkle
President, iPwn Studios Inc.

P.S.: If you wish to be involved in the preparation of the GHC patch or in the creation of iPwn Studios' first game, don't hesitate to contact me by email ([hidden email]), AIM (RyanT5000), or IRC (RyanT5000 on irc.freenode.net).

Re: Haskell on the iPhone

Bulat Ziganshin-2
Hello Ryan,

> I am proud to announce today that my company, iPwn Studios Inc., is
> currently preparing to release an open source patch to GHC that
> allows it to output binaries for iPhone OS.  The patch will be
> released under a BSD license as soon as possible and hopefully

das ist fantastisch! :)

Re: Haskell on the iPhone

Benjamin L. Russell
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:12:22 -0400, Ryan Trinkle <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>[...]
>
>I would like to take this opportunity to propose the creation of a
>haskell-iphone mailing list, so that all Haskellers working with the iPhone
>- whether for profit or for pleasure - can come together to make Haskell a
>force to be reckoned with in the burgeoning iPhone App marketplace.

This idea sounds great to me.  Please count my vote as in favor of the
list.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
--
Benjamin L. Russell  /   DekuDekuplex at Yahoo dot com
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/

Re: Re: Haskell on the iPhone

Michael Dever
I'm in.