Haskell platform

Simon Peyton Jones
Urk. The Haskell Platform claims to include Happy and Alex.  http://www.haskell.org/platform/contents.html

But 2013.2.0.0 doesn't.   Is that intentional?

That's a big problem for people using HP to build GHC.  I'm installing 2012.4.0.0 in the hope that it does.  No, nor does 2012.2

Am I just being stupid here?

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Haskell platform

Carter Schonwald
Huh. What OS?

Could this be an issue wth your path?

Failing that
Try
>cabal update ; cabal install happy ; cabal alex

Unless there's some reason you can't use cabal-install?

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Haskell platform

Simon Peyton Jones
They [happy,alex] are in <platform>/lib/extralibs/bin now for some reason. The HP installer should have added that to the PATH though.
Oh, thank you!  I never thought of looking there.  The installer didn't add it.

Mark, it would be amazingly helpful if http://www.haskell.org/platform/ had clear documentation about this!  At the moment

*         It's hard to find an authoritative list of what's in (a particular version of) HP.  I tried the "Comprehensive" link on the HP page, leading to http://www.haskell.org/platform/contents.html, and that did mention Happy and Alex, but in a general kind of way.

*         I tried "Documentation" which leads here http://lambda.haskell.org/platform/doc/current/start.html, but that doesn't have a list of what's in it.  (For the libraries part you can kind-of deduce it from the right hand column of the "libraries" link http://lambda.haskell.org/platform/doc/current/frames.html, but it's pretty indirect.

*         I couldn't find a list of what executable programs should be installed.

*         It would be really great to know where those executables live.

None of this is hard; maybe just no one has asked.  Thanks!

Simon

Haskell platform

Bryan O'Sullivan
On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 1:06 AM, Simon Peyton-Jones
<simonpj at microsoft.com>wrote:

> They [happy,alex] are in <platform>/lib/extralibs/bin now for some reason.
> The HP installer should have added that to the PATH though. ****

That seems like an oversight - I can't think of a good reason to have them
in a different bin directory.
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Haskell platform

Simon Peyton Jones
I believe that maybe the fact that HP installer didn?t add the directory to my path is spurious:

?        I unpacked the files to the wrong directory; then moved them.  Of course that put the PATHs out of date

?        HP installer changed my *system* settings not *user* settings, so I didn?t see the settings at all.

So that part may be my fault.  But still, better documentation on the HP site, of what?s included and where binaries are, would be v useful.

Simon