Quantcast

Hat hasn't installed properly

Thomas Davie-2
Something's up with hat-2.05 on my system.  It hasn't installed its
package correctly.  ./configure, make, sudo make install reported no
errors, but trying to build using 'hmake -hat' produces this error:

hat-trans   goodFib.hs
Creating directories Hat
Wrote Hat/goodFib.hs
ghc      -c -package hat -o Hat/goodFib.o Hat/goodFib.hs
ghc-6.6: unknown package: hat

Running ghc-pkg list reveals that no such package is installed:
LappyBob:~/Documents/Work/Hat test cases/goodFib tatd2$ ghc-pkg list
/usr/local/lib/ghc-6.6/package.conf:
     Cabal-1.1.6, GLUT-2.0, HGL-3.1, HUnit-1.1, OpenGL-2.1,
     QuickCheck-1.0, X11-1.1, base-2.0, cgi-2006.9.6, fgl-5.2,
     (ghc-6.6), haskell-src-1.0, haskell98-1.0, html-1.0, mtl-1.0,
     network-2.0, parsec-2.0, readline-1.0, regex-base-0.71,
     regex-compat-0.71, regex-posix-0.71, rts-1.0, stm-2.0,
     template-haskell-2.0, time-1.0, unix-1.0, xhtml-2006.9.13

Any ideas why the package isn't getting installed correctly?

Bob

Re: Hat hasn't installed properly

Malcolm Wallace
Thomas Davie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Something's up with hat-2.05 on my system.  It hasn't installed its
> package correctly.  ./configure, make, sudo make install reported no
> errors, but trying to build using 'hmake -hat' produces this error:
>
> ghc-6.6: unknown package: hat

I don't know why the hat package is not installed on your system.  But I
did find some packaging errors that mean, even it hat was installed, it
would not work with ghc-6.6.

Essentially, ghc now needs to know both the package name _and version_
when building the library, otherwise the linker gets confused and can't
resolve names.  I've pushed a fix to the darcs repo, and will probably
re-roll the 2.05 distribution as well.

Regards,
    Malcolm

Re: Hat hasn't installed properly

Thomas Davie-2
It appears that the install script hasn't copied any of the hat-libs
(none of the hi files, and not the .a file either).

I'm wondering if it has got the wrong directory to copy the files to,
but I can't figure out where the configures script actually does that
install/copy.

Bob

On 3 Nov 2006, at 16:01, Thomas Davie wrote:

> Something's up with hat-2.05 on my system.  It hasn't installed its
> package correctly.  ./configure, make, sudo make install reported
> no errors, but trying to build using 'hmake -hat' produces this error:
>
> hat-trans   goodFib.hs
> Creating directories Hat
> Wrote Hat/goodFib.hs
> ghc      -c -package hat -o Hat/goodFib.o Hat/goodFib.hs
> ghc-6.6: unknown package: hat
>
> Running ghc-pkg list reveals that no such package is installed:
> LappyBob:~/Documents/Work/Hat test cases/goodFib tatd2$ ghc-pkg list
> /usr/local/lib/ghc-6.6/package.conf:
>     Cabal-1.1.6, GLUT-2.0, HGL-3.1, HUnit-1.1, OpenGL-2.1,
>     QuickCheck-1.0, X11-1.1, base-2.0, cgi-2006.9.6, fgl-5.2,
>     (ghc-6.6), haskell-src-1.0, haskell98-1.0, html-1.0, mtl-1.0,
>     network-2.0, parsec-2.0, readline-1.0, regex-base-0.71,
>     regex-compat-0.71, regex-posix-0.71, rts-1.0, stm-2.0,
>     template-haskell-2.0, time-1.0, unix-1.0, xhtml-2006.9.13
>
> Any ideas why the package isn't getting installed correctly?
>
> Bob

Re: Hat hasn't installed properly

Thomas Davie-2
The reason that the package is not there I have discovered is that
ghc-pkg register quits out because libHShat.a does not exist.
Putting that in the appropriate place causes ghc-pkg register to
work, but then you get errors because the hat-libs aren't in the
right places.

I'm not quite sure where the hat libs should be going.

Bob

On 3 Nov 2006, at 16:22, Malcolm Wallace wrote:

> Thomas Davie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Something's up with hat-2.05 on my system.  It hasn't installed its
>> package correctly.  ./configure, make, sudo make install reported no
>> errors, but trying to build using 'hmake -hat' produces this error:
>>
>> ghc-6.6: unknown package: hat
>
> I don't know why the hat package is not installed on your system.
> But I
> did find some packaging errors that mean, even it hat was
> installed, it
> would not work with ghc-6.6.
>
> Essentially, ghc now needs to know both the package name _and version_
> when building the library, otherwise the linker gets confused and
> can't
> resolve names.  I've pushed a fix to the darcs repo, and will probably
> re-roll the 2.05 distribution as well.
>
> Regards,
>     Malcolm

Re: Hat hasn't installed properly

Thomas Davie-2
Further update to this - the latest patch did not succed with fixing
at least my complaint.  Where exactly should the various hi files get
copied to?  Where in the install script is the code that should do this?

Bob

On 3 Nov 2006, at 16:43, Thomas Davie wrote:

> The reason that the package is not there I have discovered is that
> ghc-pkg register quits out because libHShat.a does not exist.
> Putting that in the appropriate place causes ghc-pkg register to
> work, but then you get errors because the hat-libs aren't in the
> right places.
>
> I'm not quite sure where the hat libs should be going.
>
> Bob
>
> On 3 Nov 2006, at 16:22, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
>
>> Thomas Davie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Something's up with hat-2.05 on my system.  It hasn't installed its
>>> package correctly.  ./configure, make, sudo make install reported no
>>> errors, but trying to build using 'hmake -hat' produces this error:
>>>
>>> ghc-6.6: unknown package: hat
>>
>> I don't know why the hat package is not installed on your system.
>> But I
>> did find some packaging errors that mean, even it hat was
>> installed, it
>> would not work with ghc-6.6.
>>
>> Essentially, ghc now needs to know both the package name _and
>> version_
>> when building the library, otherwise the linker gets confused and
>> can't
>> resolve names.  I've pushed a fix to the darcs repo, and will
>> probably
>> re-roll the 2.05 distribution as well.
>>
>> Regards,
>>     Malcolm

Re: Hat hasn't installed properly

Malcolm Wallace
Thomas Davie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Further update to this - the latest patch did not succed with fixing
> at least my complaint.  Where exactly should the various hi files get
> copied to?  Where in the install script is the code that should do
> this?

script/confhat does all copying of files, and calls ghc-pkg to register
the library package.

Regards,
    Malcolm

On 3 Nov 2006, at 17:35, Malcolm Wallace wrote:

> Thomas Davie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Further update to this - the latest patch did not succed with fixing
>> at least my complaint.  Where exactly should the various hi files get
>> copied to?  Where in the install script is the code that should do
>> this?
>
> script/confhat does all copying of files, and calls ghc-pkg to
> register
> the library package.

That file never appears to try to copy anything to /usr/local/lib/
ghc-6.6/imports/Hat (which is where I would expect hi files to end
up) or /usr/local/lib/ghc-6.6/ (which is where I'd expect libHShat.a
to end up, and why ghc-pkg register fails)...

Should it do this?

Have I got an odd copy?

Bob

Re: Hat hasn't installed properly

Malcolm Wallace
Thomas Davie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That file never appears to try to copy anything to /usr/local/lib/
> ghc-6.6/imports/Hat (which is where I would expect hi files to end
> up) or /usr/local/lib/ghc-6.6/ (which is where I'd expect libHShat.a
> to end up, and why ghc-pkg register fails)...

The libHShat.a library ends up in
    $DESTDIR$PREFIX/lib/hat-$HATVERSION/$MACHINE/ghc-$GHCSYM
which should resolve in your case to
    /usr/local/lib/hat-2.05/x86-darwin/ghc-6.6/
and the interface files should go in
    $DESTDIR$PREFIX/imports/hat-$HATVERSION/ghc-$GHCSYM
which again should resolve to
    /usr/local/imports/hat-2.05/ghc-6.6

These locations are then written into the hat-package.conf file, and
ghc-pkg register is called using that file as input.  I'm not sure how
it can go wrong, unless for some reason your version of GHC is being
detected wrongly as < 6.4.

Regards,
    Malcolm

Re: Hat hasn't installed properly

Thomas Davie

On 6 Nov 2006, at 11:57, Malcolm Wallace wrote:

> Thomas Davie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> That file never appears to try to copy anything to /usr/local/lib/
>> ghc-6.6/imports/Hat (which is where I would expect hi files to end
>> up) or /usr/local/lib/ghc-6.6/ (which is where I'd expect libHShat.a
>> to end up, and why ghc-pkg register fails)...
>
> The libHShat.a library ends up in
>     $DESTDIR$PREFIX/lib/hat-$HATVERSION/$MACHINE/ghc-$GHCSYM
> which should resolve in your case to
>     /usr/local/lib/hat-2.05/x86-darwin/ghc-6.6/
> and the interface files should go in
>     $DESTDIR$PREFIX/imports/hat-$HATVERSION/ghc-$GHCSYM
> which again should resolve to
>     /usr/local/imports/hat-2.05/ghc-6.6

Malcolm - problem solved!  I'd missed one file on adding executable
bits after the darcs get.  Perhaps this needs a small script to set
the permissions correctly after a get?

Bob

Re: Hat hasn't installed properly

Malcolm Wallace
Thomas Davie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Malcolm - problem solved!  I'd missed one file on adding executable
> bits after the darcs get.  Perhaps this needs a small script to set
> the permissions correctly after a get?

You mean like
    sh start
:-)