Hoogle index completeness

Radical
Searching Hoogle for symbols like `rstrip` or `lstrip` produces "No
results found" for me, even though they exist in the MissingH library.
To wit: http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/MissingH/1.2.0.0/doc/html/Data-String-Utils.html

Is this behavior intentional, or a regression of some sort? I could
have sworn the above symbols showed up at some point.

Thanks!

Alvaro

Re: Hoogle index completeness

Petr Pudlák
  Hi Alvaro,

by default Hoogle only searches some standard set of packages, which is only a relatively small subset of all Hackage content. From http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Hoogle#Scope_of_Web_Searches :

> Using the standard web interface, Hoogle searches: array, arrows, base, bytestring, Cabal, cgi, containers, directory, filepath, haskell-src, HUnit, mtl, old-locale, old-time, packedstring, parallel, parsec, pretty, process, QuickCheck, random, stm, template-haskell, time, xhtml.

One solution is to install Hoogle locally and let it index all packages you have installed.

Best regards,
Petr

2012/12/19 Radical <[hidden email]>
Searching Hoogle for symbols like `rstrip` or `lstrip` produces "No
results found" for me, even though they exist in the MissingH library.
To wit: http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/MissingH/1.2.0.0/doc/html/Data-String-Utils.html

Is this behavior intentional, or a regression of some sort? I could
have sworn the above symbols showed up at some point.

Thanks!

Alvaro

Re: Hoogle index completeness

Radical
Thanks, Petr.

I see that the comments are from years ago. Are there any ongoing efforts to expand the default search set? (Or alternatively, to implement the +hackage modifier mentioned.)

Is there interest in either of these things happening?

Alvaro

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Petr P <[hidden email]> wrote:
  Hi Alvaro,

by default Hoogle only searches some standard set of packages, which is only a relatively small subset of all Hackage content. From http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Hoogle#Scope_of_Web_Searches :

> Using the standard web interface, Hoogle searches: array, arrows, base, bytestring, Cabal, cgi, containers, directory, filepath, haskell-src, HUnit, mtl, old-locale, old-time, packedstring, parallel, parsec, pretty, process, QuickCheck, random, stm, template-haskell, time, xhtml.

One solution is to install Hoogle locally and let it index all packages you have installed.

Best regards,
Petr

2012/12/19 Radical <[hidden email]>
Searching Hoogle for symbols like `rstrip` or `lstrip` produces "No
results found" for me, even though they exist in the MissingH library.
To wit: http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/MissingH/1.2.0.0/doc/html/Data-String-Utils.html

Is this behavior intentional, or a regression of some sort? I could
have sworn the above symbols showed up at some point.

Thanks!

Alvaro

Re: Hoogle index completeness

Alberto G. Corona
Hayoo has them all:

2012/12/19 Radical <[hidden email]>
Thanks, Petr.

I see that the comments are from years ago. Are there any ongoing efforts to expand the default search set? (Or alternatively, to implement the +hackage modifier mentioned.)

Is there interest in either of these things happening?

Alvaro

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Petr P <[hidden email]> wrote:
  Hi Alvaro,

by default Hoogle only searches some standard set of packages, which is only a relatively small subset of all Hackage content. From http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Hoogle#Scope_of_Web_Searches :

> Using the standard web interface, Hoogle searches: array, arrows, base, bytestring, Cabal, cgi, containers, directory, filepath, haskell-src, HUnit, mtl, old-locale, old-time, packedstring, parallel, parsec, pretty, process, QuickCheck, random, stm, template-haskell, time, xhtml.

One solution is to install Hoogle locally and let it index all packages you have installed.

Best regards,
Petr

2012/12/19 Radical <[hidden email]>
Searching Hoogle for symbols like `rstrip` or `lstrip` produces "No
results found" for me, even though they exist in the MissingH library.
To wit: http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/MissingH/1.2.0.0/doc/html/Data-String-Utils.html

Is this behavior intentional, or a regression of some sort? I could
have sworn the above symbols showed up at some point.

Thanks!

Alvaro

Alberto.

Re: Hoogle index completeness

Alberto G. Corona

Hayoo has them all:

--
Alberto.

Re: Hoogle index completeness

Joachim Breitner-2

Am Mittwoch, den 19.12.2012, 12:28 -0500 schrieb Radical:
> I see that the comments are from years ago. Are there any ongoing
> efforts to expand the default search set?

if Michael Snoyman’s  stackage will fly, I’d that would be a good
candidate for a default set.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
  [hidden email]  |  [hidden email]  |  GPG: 0x4743206C

Re: Hoogle index completeness

Johannes Waldmann

> Hayoo has them all [ .. ]

but Hoogle is better with types?

it seems Hayoo only does exact (string?) match on types,
while Hoogle also knows about polymorphisms, permutations etc.

E.g., search for "String -> Int".
Hoogle finds length :: [a]-> Int  as well,
I think Hayoo doesn't.

J.W.

Re: Hoogle index completeness

Jan Stolarek
> I see that the comments are from years ago. Are there any ongoing efforts
> to expand the default search set? (Or alternatively, to implement the
> +hackage modifier mentioned.)
It's actually implemented as +nameOfLibrary. Hoogling for "rstrip +missingh" gives:

rstrip :: String -> String
MissingH Data.String.Utils
Same as strip, but applies only to the right side of the string.

Janek

Re: Hoogle index completeness

Carlos López Camey
2012/12/19 Joachim Breitner <[hidden email]>:
> if Michael Snoyman’s  stackage will fly, I’d that would be a good
> candidate for a default set.

+10

Re: Hoogle index completeness

Radical
Thanks for the suggestion, Jan. Is there a way to include all of hackage?

Alvaro

Dnia piątek, 21 grudnia 2012, Radical napisał:
> Thanks for the suggestion, Jan. Is there a way to include all of hackage?
Sorry, I don't know any way of doing this.

Janek