How should I view this file? It looks like literate Haskell but isn't that file type.

How should I view this file? It looks like literate Haskell but isn't that file type.

Jeffrey Brown
I am looking at Text.Markdown. The Types.hs file[1] looks like it's got comments that are meant to be viewed as some form other than plain text -- for instance,

    , msAddHeadingId :: Bool
      -- ^ If @True@, an @id@ attribute is added to the heading tag with the value equal to
      -- the text with only valid CSS identifier characters.
      --
      -- > ## Executive Summary
      --

I thought it might be literate Haskell, but the file ends in .hs, not .lhs.

How should I view it? Preferably in Emacs?

--
Jeff Brown | Jeffrey Benjamin Brown
Website   |   Facebook   |   LinkedIn(spammy, so I often miss messages here)   |   Github

Re: How should I view this file? It looks like literate Haskell but isn't that file type.

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
That's Haddock markup (though the ## one is new for me):
https://www.haskell.org/haddock/doc/html/ch03s08.html

On 4 May 2017 at 18:10, Jeffrey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am looking at Text.Markdown. The Types.hs file[1] looks like it's got
> comments that are meant to be viewed as some form other than plain text --
> for instance,
>
>     , msAddHeadingId :: Bool
>       -- ^ If @True@, an @id@ attribute is added to the heading tag with the
> value equal to
>       -- the text with only valid CSS identifier characters.
>       --
>       -- > ## Executive Summary
>       --
>       -- > <h2 id="executive-summary">Executive Summary</h2>
>       --
>       -- Default: @False@
>       --
>       -- Since 0.1.13
>
> I thought it might be literate Haskell, but the file ends in .hs, not .lhs.
>
> How should I view it? Preferably in Emacs?
>
> [1] https://github.com/snoyberg/markdown/blob/master/Text/Markdown/Types.hs
>
> --
> Jeff Brown | Jeffrey Benjamin Brown
> Website   |   Facebook   |   LinkedIn(spammy, so I often miss messages here)
> |   Github

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

Re: How should I view this file? It looks like literate Haskell but isn't that file type.

Jeffrey Brown
Thank you both! I should have posted to beginners; forgot that separate list exists. It's been a while ...

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 1:21 AM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's Haddock markup (though the ## one is new for me):
https://www.haskell.org/haddock/doc/html/ch03s08.html

On 4 May 2017 at 18:10, Jeffrey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am looking at Text.Markdown. The Types.hs file[1] looks like it's got
> comments that are meant to be viewed as some form other than plain text --
> for instance,
>
>     , msAddHeadingId :: Bool
>       -- ^ If @True@, an @id@ attribute is added to the heading tag with the
> value equal to
>       -- the text with only valid CSS identifier characters.
>       --
>       -- > ## Executive Summary
>       --
>       -- > <h2 id="executive-summary">Executive Summary</h2>
>       --
>       -- Default: @False@
>       --
>       -- Since 0.1.13
>
> I thought it might be literate Haskell, but the file ends in .hs, not .lhs.
>
> How should I view it? Preferably in Emacs?
>
> [1] https://github.com/snoyberg/markdown/blob/master/Text/Markdown/Types.hs
>
> --
> Jeff Brown | Jeffrey Benjamin Brown
> Website   |   Facebook   |   LinkedIn(spammy, so I often miss messages here)
> |   Github

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

--
Jeff Brown | Jeffrey Benjamin Brown
Website   |   Facebook   |   LinkedIn(spammy, so I often miss messages here)   |   Github

Re: How should I view this file? It looks like literate Haskell but isn't that file type.

Sergiu Ivanov-2
Thus quoth  Jeffrey Brown  at 08:10 on Thu, May 04 2017:

> I am looking at Text.Markdown. The Types.hs file[1] looks like it's got
> comments that are meant to be viewed as some form other than plain text --

These comments look like typical Haddock comments for me.

  https://www.haskell.org/haddock/

Haddock is a tool for automatic generation of documentation from Haskell
source.

> How should I view it? Preferably in Emacs?

You could probably run Haddock on this file and then browse the result
(with eww, for example).

Haddock may also generate outputs in different formats, but I don't have
additional information on that functionality off the top of my head.

--
Sergiu

Re: How should I view this file? It looks like literate Haskell but isn't that file type.

Li-yao Xia-2
You can also see the rendered documentation on Hackage or Stackage.

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/markdown-0.1.16/docs/Text-Markdown.html#v:msAddHeadingId

Li-yao