How to change base version easily?

Treee July
Hello,
I installed the latest version of ghc, which caused one of my packages does not satisfy the constraint of the version. I just wondering if there exists a convenient way to degrade the version of the base. I use Arch Linux, which is not easy to install an elder version.

Thanks,
July

Re: How to change base version easily?

Francesco Ariis
Hello July,

Il 29 maggio 2020 alle 18:35 Treee July ha scritto:
> Hello,
> I installed the latest version of ghc, which caused one of my packages does
> not satisfy the constraint of the version. I just wondering if there exists
> a convenient way to degrade the version of the base. I use Arch Linux,
> which is not easy to install an elder version.

if you are using cabal, --allow-newer can ease some of the pain. Failing
that, -w will work — but you need to download and locally install the
appropriate ghc first.
Let us know if that’s enough

Re: How to change base version easily?

Sylvain Henry-2
Using haskell packages provided by ArchLinux is a pain (cf
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Haskell). You have to tweak
~/.cabal/config, etc.

I would recommend using `stack` as it manages ghc installations itself.
You could also use ghcup+cabal-install.

Cheers,
Sylvain

On 29/05/2020 12:56, Francesco Ariis wrote:

> Hello July,
>
> Il 29 maggio 2020 alle 18:35 Treee July ha scritto:
>> Hello,
>> I installed the latest version of ghc, which caused one of my packages does
>> not satisfy the constraint of the version. I just wondering if there exists
>> a convenient way to degrade the version of the base. I use Arch Linux,
>> which is not easy to install an elder version.
> if you are using cabal, --allow-newer can ease some of the pain. Failing
> that, -w will work — but you need to download and locally install the
> appropriate ghc first.
> Let us know if that’s enough

Re: How to change base version easily?

Treee July
Hello July,
Il 29 maggio 2020 alle 18:35 Treee July ha scritto:
> Hello,
> I installed the latest version of ghc, which caused one of my packages does
> not satisfy the constraint of the version. I just wondering if there exists
> a convenient way to degrade the version of the base. I use Arch Linux,
> which is not easy to install an elder version.
if you are using cabal, --allow-newer can ease some of the pain. Failing
that, -w will work — but you need to download and locally install the
appropriate ghc first.
Let us know if that’s enough

Hi  Francesco,
I'm glad to tell you that your suggestion about --allow-newer works on my machine! But I still have some trouble with running correctly on Arch Linux(That's really annoying), maybe I can solve it later. Thank you again!.

Best,
July