How to start xmonad with lxde?

jenia.ivlev

Hello.

I want to start xmonad in another tty. I would like it to use lxde as
the Desktop Environement. I read that in order to do that I need to
leave the following in the xmonad's config file (~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs):

    main = xmonad $ desktopConfig { terminal = "lxterminal" }

When I recompile the file in xmonad:

        xmonad --recompile

I get the following error:

    xmonad.hs:1:59:
        parse error (possibly incorrect indentation or mismatched brackets)

Can someone please tell me how to achive starting xmonad with lxde?

Thanks in advance for your kind help

P.S

To start xmonad in the first place (no lxde) I use this:

    startx /usr/bin/xmonad

How to start xmonad with lxde?

Brandon Allbery
On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 8:26 PM, jenia.ivlev <jenia.ivlev at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to start xmonad in another tty. I would like it to use lxde as
> the Desktop Environement. I read that in order to do that I need to
> leave the following in the xmonad's config file (~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs):
>
>     main = xmonad $ desktopConfig { terminal = "lxterminal" }

At the very least, you need some imports with that:

    import XMonad
    import XMonad.Config.Desktop

    main = xmonad desktopConfig { terminal = "lxterminal" }

I'm not sure what's up with the error you got, though; it appears to be at
the end of the file. Control characters, perhaps? The output of

    env LANG=C od -c ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs

might be illuminating.

allbery.b at gmail.com                                  ballbery at sinenomine.net
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
writes:

> On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 8:26 PM, jenia.ivlev
> <jenia.ivlev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     I want to start xmonad in another tty. I would like it to use lxde
>     as
>     the Desktop Environement. I read that in order to do that I need
>     leave the following in the xmonad's config file
>     (~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs):
>
>     main = xmonad $ desktopConfig { terminal = "lxterminal" }
>

> At the very least, you need some imports with that:
>
> import XMonad
> import XMonad.Config.Desktop
> main = xmonad desktopConfig { terminal = "lxterminal" }
>
> I'm not sure what's up with the error you got, though; it appears to
> be at the end of the file. Control characters, perhaps? The output of

I left, by accident, an extra character in xmoand.hs.
> env LANG=C od -c ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs
>
> might be illuminating.

Thanks very much. I think it worked. But I must admit that I though, for
some reason, that xmonad will start lxde and I will have all the normal
lxde features (like program's bar on the buttom and so on). Instead, it
only started the terminal from lxde. Can you please tell me, how do I
start a full lxde Desktop Environment with xmonad?

However, I don't want to change lxde configs because by default I want
it to use openbox (which I can use easily).

So can I start xmonad in such a way that it will use lxde as the Desktop
Environment?

Thanks very much in advance.

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM, jenia.ivlev <jenia.ivlev at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks very much. I think it worked. But I must admit that I though, for
> some reason, that xmonad will start lxde and I will have all the normal
> lxde features (like program's bar on the buttom and so on). Instead, it
> only started the terminal from lxde. Can you please tell me, how do I
> start a full lxde Desktop Environment with xmonad?

In general, you have to use the desktop environment to start the window
manager, not the other way around; the window manager must be controlled by
the desktop manager's session manager. The xmonad configuration you were
given just minimally configures monad to play well with most desktop
managers, but without any integration beyond using the LXDE terminal; in
particular, it won't configure mod-shift-q to shut down the LXDE session,
and the session manager will usually just restart the window manager if it
exits so mod-shift-q will end up being the same as mod-q.

Your xmonad.hs is the one from section 3 of
https://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Using_xmonad_in_LXDE but you
also need the file from section 2 to configure LXDE to start xmonad; then
you use "startlxde" as normal to start an LXDE session with xmonad as the
window manager. I would use a slightly more detailed xmonad.hs to fix the
mod-shift-q issue, though:

    import XMonad    import XMonad.Config.Desktop    import XMonad.Util.EZConfig
        main = xmonad $ desktopConfig { terminal = "lxterminal" }
                    `additionalKeysP`
                    [("M-S-q", spawn "lxsession-logout")

(The above is also available as http://lpaste.net/116981)

writes:

> On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM, jenia.ivlev
> <jenia.ivlev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Thanks very much. I think it worked. But I must admit that I
>     though, for
>     some reason, that xmonad will start lxde and I will have all the
>     normal
>     lxde features (like program's bar on the buttom and so on).
>     Instead, it
>     only started the terminal from lxde. Can you please tell me, how
>     do I
>     start a full lxde Desktop Environment with xmonad?
>

> In general, you have to use the desktop environment to start the
> window manager, not the other way around; the window manager must be
> controlled by the desktop manager's session manager. The xmonad
> configuration you were given just minimally configures monad to play
> well with most desktop managers, but without any integration beyond
> using the LXDE terminal; in particular, it won't configure mod-shift-q
> to shut down the LXDE session, and the session manager will usually
> just restart the window manager if it exits so mod-shift-q will end up
> being the same as mod-q.
>
> Your xmonad.hs is the one from section 3 of
> https://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Using_xmonad_in_LXDE but
> you also need the file from section 2 to configure LXDE to start
> xmonad; then you use "startlxde" as normal to start an LXDE session
> with xmonad as the window manager. I would use a slightly more
> detailed xmonad.hs to fix the mod-shift-q issue, though:
>
>     import XMonad
>     import XMonad.Config.Desktop
>     import XMonad.Util.EZConfig
>
>     main = xmonad $ desktopConfig { terminal = "lxterminal" }
>                     `additionalKeysP`
>                     [("M-S-q", spawn "lxsession-logout")
>
> (The above is also available as http://lpaste.net/116981)

Okay, thanks very much Brandon

How to start xmonad with lxde?

jenia.ivlev
I tried all of that and it didn't work.
Alright, lets forget lxde for the moment.

How do I start a program in xmonad? Is there another
Desktop-environement that's easy to use with xmonad? Or alternatively,
and even better, how do I simply start an app in xmonad without using
the termina? I mean, if I do it in the termina, even if I use `progam &`
the damn thing still sends output to the teriminal even if it
"detached".

So what's the most convenient way to start apps ion xmonad?

thanks in advance.
jenia

jenia.ivlev at gmail.com (jenia.ivlev)
writes:

> I tried all of that and it didn't work.
> Alright, lets forget lxde for the moment.
>
> How do I start a program in xmonad? Is there another
> Desktop-environement that's easy to use with xmonad? Or alternatively,
> and even better, how do I simply start an app in xmonad without using
> the termina? I mean, if I do it in the termina, even if I use `progam &`
> the damn thing still sends output to the teriminal even if it
> "detached".
>
> So what's the most convenient way to start apps ion xmonad?
>
> thanks in advance.
> jenia

What I decided to do basically, is that "synapse" as so `synapse &` and
then simply close that terminal. From then on I can start apps as I want
to.

But the same question remains, what Destop Environement do you use with xmonad?

How to start xmonad with lxde?

Adam Sjøgren
jenia.ivlev writes:

> So what's the most convenient way to start apps ion xmonad?

I'm sure there are several - I have dmenu_run bound to M-p, so I can
just type M-p programname ENTER and the program is started.

 * https://packages.debian.org/jessie/suckless-tools

For the program I open the most often, xterm, I have a dedicated
keyboard shortcut.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "faster than C++, more concise than Perl, more               Adam Sj?gren
  regular than Python, more flexible than Ruby, more     asjo at koldfront.dk
  typeful than C#, more robust than Java, and has
  absolutely nothing in common with PHP."

How to start xmonad with lxde?

Carsten Mattner-2
On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 2:43 PM, Adam Sj?gren <asjo at koldfront.dk> wrote:
> jenia.ivlev writes:
>
>> So what's the most convenient way to start apps ion xmonad?
>
> I'm sure there are several - I have dmenu_run bound to M-p, so I can
> just type M-p programname ENTER and the program is started.

For some reason dmenu_run is configured by many Xmonad users
instead of the shellPrompt, which is superior in several ways. I mean,
everybody should give it a try as they're nicer to use and more flexible to
configure. There are more prompts available than only shellPrompt.

To replace dmenu_run import XMonad.Prompt.Shell and
run shellPrompt with your custom config based on defaultXPConfig.

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 11:20 AM, Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> For some reason dmenu_run is configured by many Xmonad users

One reason being that it's in the stock config as mod-p....

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 5:22 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 11:20 AM, Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> For some reason dmenu_run is configured by many Xmonad users
>

> One reason being that it's in the stock config as mod-p....

Let's change the config then, seriously it works better and is
faster for me compared to dmenu_run and does not require
the extra tool to begin with.

Hey, shellPrompt is one major reason I always come back to
my XMonad environment after trying to use dmenu_run in some
other non-XMonad environment.

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Let's change the config then, seriously it works better and is
> faster for me compared to dmenu_run and does not require
> the extra tool to begin with.

But it does require xmonad-contrib to be installed; the core deliberately
does not depend on xmonad-contrib, and I suspect getting XMonad.Prompt
merged to core will be something of a battle.

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 5:31 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Let's change the config then, seriously it works better and is
>> faster for me compared to dmenu_run and does not require
>> the extra tool to begin with.
>

> But it does require xmonad-contrib to be installed; the core deliberately
> does not depend on xmonad-contrib, and I suspect getting XMonad.Prompt
> merged to core will be something of a battle.

While true, I think everybody installs xmonad-contrib and that means example
configurations should be updated to use shellPrompt instead.

Which example configs are in core and are you sure none of them rely
on xmonad-contrib?

shellPrompt seems to be invisible to most XMonad users and that's
very unfortunate to say the least.

Carsten writes:

> For some reason dmenu_run is configured by many Xmonad users instead
> of the shellPrompt, which is superior in several ways. I mean,
> everybody should give it a try as they're nicer to use and more
> flexible to configure. There are more prompts available than only
> shellPrompt.

You're not selling it well - I have something which works fine, and you
say I should switch to something which is superior, nicer and more
flexible...

Well, what does it actually provide which makes it those things? How
will I feel the difference?

Just curious!

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Time is getting short; every midnight I feel 48             Adam Sj?gren
  hours older. And twice as useless."                    asjo at koldfront.dk

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> While true, I think everybody installs xmonad-contrib and that means
> example
> configurations should be updated to use shellPrompt instead.

I personally think that configs should start form desktopConfig instead of
defaultConfig, because that provides the base behavior that most people
expect these days, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen or that
desktopConfig and its dependencies will be merged into the core. (Note that
I am not involved with the core directly.)

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Adam Sj?gren <asjo at koldfront.dk> wrote:

> Carsten writes:
>
>> For some reason dmenu_run is configured by many Xmonad users instead
>> of the shellPrompt, which is superior in several ways. I mean,
>> everybody should give it a try as they're nicer to use and more
>> flexible to configure. There are more prompts available than only
>> shellPrompt.
>
> You're not selling it well - I have something which works fine, and you
> say I should switch to something which is superior, nicer and more
> flexible...
>
> Well, what does it actually provide which makes it those things? How
> will I feel the difference?
>
> Just curious!

I'm not a car sales man but I can try to list advantages in the
hopes of convincing you to try it out.

* the completion behavior suits me better when for example
you're completing an executable inside a directory
* it more correctly picks up $PATH entries compared to dmenu_run
* it doesn't delay as much due to caching like dmenu_run and
feels faster on startup because of that while not missing new
executables just installed
* behavior is configurable in xmonad.hs
* presentations is configurable in xmonad.hs

Configuration if you want to configure it is simple, just consult
the online documentation.

http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Prompt.html#t:XPConfig
http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Prompt-Shell.html

Also there are other prompts than just shellPrompt like in the
ion window manager or stumpwm.

I believe someone recently contributed a password retrieval prompt
but I didn't try that.

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 5:42 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> While true, I think everybody installs xmonad-contrib and that means
>> example configurations should be updated to use shellPrompt instead.
>

> I personally think that configs should start form desktopConfig instead of
> defaultConfig, because that provides the base behavior that most people
> expect these days, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen or that
> desktopConfig and its dependencies will be merged into the core. (Note that
> I am not involved with the core directly.)

I can't disagree with that and we should have nicer defaults for an improved
first impression or integration with desktop environments.

How to start xmonad with lxde?

Alain Bertrand
Le 25/12/2014 17:26, Carsten Mattner a ?crit :

  Hey, shellPrompt is one major reason I always come back to my XMonad
environment after trying to use dmenu_run in some other non-XMonad
environment.

-------------
Hello,
Thanks for your advice. I went to the xmonad wiki and modified my
xmonad.hs accordingly.
As you said, shellPrompt is really great but the following xmonad.hs
makes my French keyboard unusable.
Any advice ?
TIA

Alain
  import XMonad
  import XMonad.Hooks.ManageDocks
  import qualified Data.Map as M
  import Graphics.X11.Xlib
  import XMonad.Config.Azerty
  import XMonad.Prompt
  import XMonad.Prompt.Shell
  import XMonad.Prompt.XMonad
  main=do
    xmonad azertyConfig  { keys = myKeys <+> keys defaultConfig }
      {
      layoutHook=avoidStruts $ layoutHook defaultConfig
      , manageHook=manageHook defaultConfig <+> manageDocks
      }

  myKeys conf@(XConfig {XMonad.modMask = modm}) = M.fromList
              [ ((modm, xK_F12), xmonadPrompt defaultXPConfig)
              , ((modm, xK_F3 ), shellPrompt  defaultXPConfig)
              ]

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 3:28 PM, Alain Bertrand <alainbe at free.fr> wrote:

> Thanks for your advice. I went to the xmonad wiki and modified my
> xmonad.hs accordingly.
> As you said, shellPrompt is really great but the following xmonad.hs makes
> my French keyboard unusable.
> Any advice ?

Replace 'keys defaultConfig' with 'keys azertyConfig'.

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 9:06 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 3:28 PM, Alain Bertrand <alainbe at free.fr> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your advice. I went to the xmonad wiki and modified my
>> xmonad.hs accordingly.
>> As you said, shellPrompt is really great but the following xmonad.hs
>> makes my French keyboard unusable.
>> Any advice ?
>>

> Replace 'keys defaultConfig' with 'keys azertyConfig'.

You can also, by the way, combine the two record updates (I didn't even
know you could chain them that way).

main=do
   xmonad azertyConfig
     {
     layoutHook=avoidStruts $ layoutHook defaultConfig
     , manageHook=manageHook defaultConfig <+> manageDocks
     , keys = myKeys <+> keys azertyConfig
     }

Also, for what it's worth, I have a global binding like

    baseConfig = azertyConfig

and then use baseConfig for those field lookups (e.g. `keys baseConfig`),
so it's easy to switch everything to a different config just by changing
the baseConfig binding.

allbery.b at gmail.com                                  ballbery at sinenomine.net