IDE

Corentin Dupont
Hi cafe,
I would like to know which IDE are you using?
I use Leksah, I like the GUI design and constant compilation process.
However, the development seems to be slowing down: last version date from early 2012. The installation process is very painful.

There is FPComplete IDE coming up, but it's commercial.
I'm experimenting with it, anyway: how to compile using cabal files? It doesn't seem to recognize them. Will there be an off-line version?

I'm interested to know if you are using vim to develop: which extension are you using? I'm interested in continuous compilation, project files browsing, code completion, search-in-files.

Best,
Corentin

Re: IDE

Tommy Thorn
I use both kinds: Emacs + haskell-mode and Emacs For Mac OS X + haskell-mode.

:)

Tommy

On Nov 8, 2013, at 11:44 , Corentin Dupont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi cafe,
> I would like to know which IDE are you using?
> I use Leksah, I like the GUI design and constant compilation process.
> However, the development seems to be slowing down: last version date from early 2012. The installation process is very painful.
>
> There is FPComplete IDE coming up, but it's commercial.
> I'm experimenting with it, anyway: how to compile using cabal files? It doesn't seem to recognize them. Will there be an off-line version?
>
> I'm interested to know if you are using vim to develop: which extension are you using? I'm interested in continuous compilation, project files browsing, code completion, search-in-files.
>
> Best,
> Corentin

Re: IDE

MigMit
Emacs.

The ability to run ghci in another frame is a killer feature. Sublime is the closest competitor, but implements this feature in an uncomfortable way.

On 08 Nov 2013, at 23:44, Corentin Dupont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi cafe,
> I would like to know which IDE are you using?
> I use Leksah, I like the GUI design and constant compilation process.
> However, the development seems to be slowing down: last version date from early 2012. The installation process is very painful.
>
> There is FPComplete IDE coming up, but it's commercial.
> I'm experimenting with it, anyway: how to compile using cabal files? It doesn't seem to recognize them. Will there be an off-line version?
>
> I'm interested to know if you are using vim to develop: which extension are you using? I'm interested in continuous compilation, project files browsing, code completion, search-in-files.
>
> Best,
> Corentin

Re: IDE

Miro Karpis
Hi, I use sublime with sublime-haskell.

m.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Tommy Thorn <[hidden email]> wrote:
I use both kinds: Emacs + haskell-mode and Emacs For Mac OS X + haskell-mode.

:)

Tommy

On Nov 8, 2013, at 11:44 , Corentin Dupont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi cafe,
> I would like to know which IDE are you using?
> I use Leksah, I like the GUI design and constant compilation process.
> However, the development seems to be slowing down: last version date from early 2012. The installation process is very painful.
>
> There is FPComplete IDE coming up, but it's commercial.
> I'm experimenting with it, anyway: how to compile using cabal files? It doesn't seem to recognize them. Will there be an off-line version?
>
> I'm interested to know if you are using vim to develop: which extension are you using? I'm interested in continuous compilation, project files browsing, code completion, search-in-files.
>
> Best,
> Corentin

Re: IDE

David Thomas
I use vim, though I think if you know neither vim nor emacs, emacs might be a better choice for Haskell.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Miro Karpis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, I use sublime with sublime-haskell.

m.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Tommy Thorn <[hidden email]> wrote:
I use both kinds: Emacs + haskell-mode and Emacs For Mac OS X + haskell-mode.

:)

Tommy

On Nov 8, 2013, at 11:44 , Corentin Dupont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi cafe,
> I would like to know which IDE are you using?
> I use Leksah, I like the GUI design and constant compilation process.
> However, the development seems to be slowing down: last version date from early 2012. The installation process is very painful.
>
> There is FPComplete IDE coming up, but it's commercial.
> I'm experimenting with it, anyway: how to compile using cabal files? It doesn't seem to recognize them. Will there be an off-line version?
>
> I'm interested to know if you are using vim to develop: which extension are you using? I'm interested in continuous compilation, project files browsing, code completion, search-in-files.
>
> Best,
> Corentin

Re: IDE

Corentin Dupont
I'm a vimer :)
although I use it a lot to do small editing on random files, I've never used it as a dev environment.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM, David Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
I use vim, though I think if you know neither vim nor emacs, emacs might be a better choice for Haskell.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Miro Karpis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, I use sublime with sublime-haskell.

m.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Tommy Thorn <[hidden email]> wrote:
I use both kinds: Emacs + haskell-mode and Emacs For Mac OS X + haskell-mode.

:)

Tommy

On Nov 8, 2013, at 11:44 , Corentin Dupont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi cafe,
> I would like to know which IDE are you using?
> I use Leksah, I like the GUI design and constant compilation process.
> However, the development seems to be slowing down: last version date from early 2012. The installation process is very painful.
>
> There is FPComplete IDE coming up, but it's commercial.
> I'm experimenting with it, anyway: how to compile using cabal files? It doesn't seem to recognize them. Will there be an off-line version?
>
> I'm interested to know if you are using vim to develop: which extension are you using? I'm interested in continuous compilation, project files browsing, code completion, search-in-files.
>
> Best,
> Corentin

Re: IDE

Александр Сухарев
I’m too, but I use it alot. And here are some pretty useful vim plugins

set nocompatible
filetype off

set rtp+=~/.vim/bundle/vundle/
call vundle#rc()

Bundle 'gmarik/vundle'

Bundle 'bling/vim-airline'
Bundle 'Shougo/unite.vim'
Bundle 'kien/ctrlp.vim'
Bundle 'scrooloose/nerdtree'
Bundle 'majutsushi/tagbar'
Bundle 'tpope/vim-sensible'
Bundle 'tpope/vim-unimpaired'

" { Edit
Bundle 'terryma/vim-multiple-cursors'
Bundle 'scrooloose/syntastic'
Bundle 'sjl/gundo.vim'
Bundle 'scrooloose/nerdcommenter'
Bundle 'godlygeek/tabular'
Bundle 'Raimondi/delimitMate'
" }

" { Git
Bundle 'airblade/vim-gitgutter'
Bundle 'tpope/vim-fugitive'
" }

" reStructuredText
Bundle 'Rykka/riv.vim'
" Markdown
Bundle 'plasticboy/vim-markdown'

" Bundle 'Valloric/YouCompleteMe’
" Bundle 'Shougo/vimproc.vim'

" { Haskell
" Bundle 'urso/haskell_syntax.vim'
" Bundle 'eagletmt/ghcmod-vim'
Bundle 'Twinside/vim-haskellConceal'
Bundle 'vim-scripts/haskell.vim'
Bundle 'Twinside/vim-haskellFold'
Bundle 'bitc/lushtags'
Bundle 'vim-scripts/Darcs'
" }

" { Dash
Bundle 'rizzatti/funcoo.vim'
Bundle 'rizzatti/dash.vim'
" }

filetype plugin indent on

2013/11/9 Corentin Dupont <[hidden email]>
I'm a vimer :)
although I use it a lot to do small editing on random files, I've never used it as a dev environment.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM, David Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
I use vim, though I think if you know neither vim nor emacs, emacs might be a better choice for Haskell.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Miro Karpis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, I use sublime with sublime-haskell.

m.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Tommy Thorn <[hidden email]> wrote:
I use both kinds: Emacs + haskell-mode and Emacs For Mac OS X + haskell-mode.

:)

Tommy

On Nov 8, 2013, at 11:44 , Corentin Dupont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi cafe,
> I would like to know which IDE are you using?
> I use Leksah, I like the GUI design and constant compilation process.
> However, the development seems to be slowing down: last version date from early 2012. The installation process is very painful.
>
> There is FPComplete IDE coming up, but it's commercial.
> I'm experimenting with it, anyway: how to compile using cabal files? It doesn't seem to recognize them. Will there be an off-line version?
>
> I'm interested to know if you are using vim to develop: which extension are you using? I'm interested in continuous compilation, project files browsing, code completion, search-in-files.
>
> Best,
> Corentin

Re: IDE

JP Moresmau
Well, as the maintainer I suppose I should mention EclipseFP. It doesn't have partial compilation but can rebuild your project when you save a file, so you see the impact of your changes. It uses Cabal settings and has a Cabal editor. It provides code completion, and you can search and rename across files and projects within your workspace.
I dont't have a huge amount of time at the moment to develop new big things, but I try to fix bugs as they're reported and release a version every three months or so. I use it of course for all my Haskell developments.

Of course you need to have a JRE and download/install Eclipse, and I know Eclipse is not everybody's cup of tea.

JP

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Александр Сухарев <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

:)

Tommy

On Nov 8, 2013, at 11:44 , Corentin Dupont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi cafe,
> I would like to know which IDE are you using?
> I use Leksah, I like the GUI design and constant compilation process.
> However, the development seems to be slowing down: last version date from early 2012. The installation process is very painful.
>
> There is FPComplete IDE coming up, but it's commercial.
> I'm experimenting with it, anyway: how to compile using cabal files? It doesn't seem to recognize them. Will there be an off-line version?
>
> I'm interested to know if you are using vim to develop: which extension are you using? I'm interested in continuous compilation, project files browsing, code completion, search-in-files.

JP Moresmau
http://jpmoresmau.blogspot.com/

Re: IDE

Marc Weber

github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-haskell: Provides simple compile in
background quickfix implementation with auto reconfiguring of your cabal
project. It also supports multiple cabal configurations

vim-addon-async is an alternative async implementation for Vim based on
client-server which could be used to implement accessing ghci in some
ways. It already implements python/ruby REPL with Vim completion.
Would be some work, though. Vim occasionally crashes, too.

Note:
vim-addon-manager is a close competitor to vundle, see
http://vim-wiki.mawercer.de/wiki/topic/vim%20plugin%20managment.html

Note2: On Mailinglists you should always bottom quote which also means
- delete text you don't reply to ! Even Windows users can do so
  comfortably using Shift-Ctrl-END Del.

I don't know about current state of scion. In the past for older ghc's
there was an implementation for Vim, too.

Marc Weber

Re: IDE

Schell Scivally
I use vim for all dev work except iOS. Specifically I use MacVim on OS X and GVim on Linux. Once I switched to vim I never looked back. Here are some plugins that I use:

http://github.com/gmarik/vundle         -- Package manager
http://github.com/Shougo/vimproc        -- Required for ghcmod-vim
http://github.com/ujihisa/neco-ghc      -- Haskell completion for neocomplcache
http://github.com/kien/ctrlp.vim        -- Sublime text's anything command (quick goto)
http://github.com/majutsushi/tagbar     -- Symbol goto based on ctags
http://github.com/kana/vim-fakeclip     -- OS X clipboard support
http://github.com/eagletmt/ghcmod-vim   -- Syntax/compilation checking, quickfix integration
http://github.com/travitch/hasksyn      -- Better haskell syntax coloring
http://github.com/dag/vim2hs            -- More haskell syntax coloring

I have a lot of Haskell syntax plugins and some of those may be conflicting, IDK, but it works well IMO. Using all that I get a pretty good IDE feeling when developing in Haskell. I also use a tool called steeloverseer that I wrote to continuously compile my cabal projects. If you're interested it's on hackage and you can read the readme at https://github.com/schell/steeloverseer/. I hope that helps!

Re: IDE

Vagif Verdi
Emacs + haskell-mode gives you:

- cabal project loading, support sandboxing.
- autocomplete (using generated TAGS file with hasktags)
- code navigation. You click on a function and it jumps to its definition.
- navigation of top level functions (imenu)
- type info
- error and warning jumps
- import management
- ghci
- hoogle and hayoo help integration
- hlint integration

You can do continuous compilation using emacs fly-mode.

On Friday, November 8, 2013 11:44:44 AM UTC-8, Corentin Dupont wrote:
Hi cafe,
I would like to know which IDE are you using?
I use Leksah, I like the GUI design and constant compilation process.
However, the development seems to be slowing down: last version date from early 2012. The installation process is very painful.

There is FPComplete IDE coming up, but it's commercial.
I'm experimenting with it, anyway: how to compile using cabal files? It doesn't seem to recognize them. Will there be an off-line version?

I'm interested to know if you are using vim to develop: which extension are you using? I'm interested in continuous compilation, project files browsing, code completion, search-in-files.

Best,
Corentin

Re: IDE

Simon bergot
I am usually an emacs+evil windows user, but the first time I tried to set things up for haskell, I failed. I still use emacs for small scripts

I use eclipseFP for other projects for the following reasons:
- it was easy to set-up
- it has a lot features out of the box
- I can use Vrapper to get vim keybindings
- autocomplete
- HLint support
- stylish haskell integration
- unit tests support with HTF
- cabal file edition

I never used eclipse before, but I did not find it too painful. The trade-off with emacs configuration difficulty was more than enough for me. Thank you JP Moresmau!

On 9 November 2013 22:34, Vagif Verdi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Andrew Butterfield-2
I use WinEdt + MikTex on Windows…

Most of my work uses .lhs literate scripts that are also LaTeX files, hence the perhaps strange choice.

I run Windows in a VM on Mac OS X (my desktop) because Mac support for LaTeX is, well, basically dreadful !

… now I'm sliding off-topic so I'll shut up…

Regards, Andrew.

On 8 Nov 2013, at 19:44, Corentin Dupont <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi cafe,
I would like to know which IDE are you using?
I use Leksah, I like the GUI design and constant compilation process.
However, the development seems to be slowing down: last version date from early 2012. The installation process is very painful.

There is FPComplete IDE coming up, but it's commercial.
I'm experimenting with it, anyway: how to compile using cabal files? It doesn't seem to recognize them. Will there be an off-line version?

I'm interested to know if you are using vim to develop: which extension are you using? I'm interested in continuous compilation, project files browsing, code completion, search-in-files.

Best,
Corentin

Andrew Butterfield     Tel: +353-1-896-2517     Fax: +353-1-677-2204
Lero@TCD, Head of Foundations & Methods Research Group
Director of Teaching and Learning - Undergraduate,
School of Computer Science and Statistics,
Room G.39, O'Reilly Institute, Trinity College, University of Dublin
                          http://www.scss.tcd.ie/Andrew.Butterfield/

Re: IDE

Ketil Malde-5

> Emacs + haskell-mode gives you:

  [lots of goodies I need to learn more about]

> You can do continuous compilation using emacs fly-mode.

After starting to use ghc-mod, I never looked back.  Having trouble
spots being automatically highlighted is really a huge improvement over
the old write-compile-debug cycle.  Other benefits, like automatic type
signature insertion is also nice, of course.

(I haven't really tried anything else, so perhaps this is standard fare
these days.  Just wanted to voice my appreciation, I guess :-)

-k

Re: IDE

Thanatos xiao
I use emacs + haskell-mode and some plugs developing in emacs
very useful!

2013/11/11 Ketil Malde <[hidden email]>

> Emacs + haskell-mode gives you:

  [lots of goodies I need to learn more about]

> You can do continuous compilation using emacs fly-mode.

After starting to use ghc-mod, I never looked back.  Having trouble
spots being automatically highlighted is really a huge improvement over
the old write-compile-debug cycle.  Other benefits, like automatic type
signature insertion is also nice, of course.

(I haven't really tried anything else, so perhaps this is standard fare
these days.  Just wanted to voice my appreciation, I guess :-)

-k

Re: IDE

m00nlight
The haskell-mode 13.7 of Emacs will eat all the cpu resource on my computer when I configure the
indent of haskell mode. Does any one encounter the same issue ?

Best Regards
From Emacs Like Excellent Browser: Conkeror

At 2013-11-12 00:53:52,"Thanatos xiao" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I use emacs + haskell-mode and some plugs developing in emacs
very useful!

2013/11/11 Ketil Malde <[hidden email]>

> Emacs + haskell-mode gives you:

  [lots of goodies I need to learn more about]

> You can do continuous compilation using emacs fly-mode.

After starting to use ghc-mod, I never looked back.  Having trouble
spots being automatically highlighted is really a huge improvement over
the old write-compile-debug cycle.  Other benefits, like automatic type
signature insertion is also nice, of course.

(I haven't really tried anything else, so perhaps this is standard fare
these days.  Just wanted to voice my appreciation, I guess :-)

-k

Re: IDE

Alberto G. Corona
I use Leksah, that provides much of the things mentioned here except perhaps hLint integration. Another nice feature is that it can rebuild the tree of project dependencies  when something changes.

2013/11/12 m00nlight <[hidden email]>
The haskell-mode 13.7 of Emacs will eat all the cpu resource on my computer when I configure the
indent of haskell mode. Does any one encounter the same issue ?

Best Regards
From Emacs Like Excellent Browser: Conkeror

At 2013-11-12 00:53:52,"Thanatos xiao" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I use emacs + haskell-mode and some plugs developing in emacs
very useful!

2013/11/11 Ketil Malde <[hidden email]>

> Emacs + haskell-mode gives you:

  [lots of goodies I need to learn more about]

> You can do continuous compilation using emacs fly-mode.

After starting to use ghc-mod, I never looked back.  Having trouble
spots being automatically highlighted is really a huge improvement over
the old write-compile-debug cycle.  Other benefits, like automatic type
signature insertion is also nice, of course.

(I haven't really tried anything else, so perhaps this is standard fare
these days.  Just wanted to voice my appreciation, I guess :-)

-k

Alberto.

Re: IDE

edgar klerks
If you use conque, you can run a GHCI session in vim: http://code.google.com/p/conque/ That works pretty well.

Neocomplcache +ghcmod + neco-ghc delivers good support for auto-completion.

Syntastic will annotate errors in your source file.

Gundo for reverting and viewing local changes, vim stores internally a tree with changes. With some configuration it can remember changes for days. The only drawback is that you can always hit u, because your last weeks changes are still remembered.

For searching in files, I use ack.vim.

And for moving to files, I use ctrl-p, which let you open files with little typing.

You should also look into sessions (a vim feature). With this you can save your current development environment and start from there.

Bundle 'neocomplcache'
Bundle 'surround.vim'
Bundle 'eagletmt/neco-ghc'
Bundle "eagletmt/ghcmod-vim"
Bundle 'ctrlp.vim'
Bundle 'ack.vim'
Bundle 'Gundo'
Bundle 'scrooloose/syntastic'
Bundle "Shougo/vimproc"

There are a lot of different plugins  I use, but these have proven themselves useful, also for general development.

I miss a program for creating tagfiles for haskell. This would be handy, because you can jump quickly to definition file with this.

Greets,

Edgar

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 8:44 PM, Corentin Dupont <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi cafe,
I would like to know which IDE are you using?
I use Leksah, I like the GUI design and constant compilation process.
However, the development seems to be slowing down: last version date from early 2012. The installation process is very painful.

There is FPComplete IDE coming up, but it's commercial.
I'm experimenting with it, anyway: how to compile using cabal files? It doesn't seem to recognize them. Will there be an off-line version?

I'm interested to know if you are using vim to develop: which extension are you using? I'm interested in continuous compilation, project files browsing, code completion, search-in-files.

Best,
Corentin

Re: IDE

Corentin Dupont
Hi all!
Thanks for you responses. Here is a sum-up so far.
The vertical bars is the number of persons using this one among the replies.

- Emacs + haskell-mode IIIII
- sublime with sublime-haskell I
- vim IIII (see tips from Александр Сухарев, Marc Weber, Schell Scivally, Edgar Klerks)
- EclipseFP II
- Leksah III
- WinEdt + MikTex

Please tell me if I missed something :)
Best,
Corentin

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Edgar Klerks <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Edgar, for tags I use ctags (exuberant) with the following tag file:

--langdef=haskell
--langmap=haskell:.hs
--regex-haskell=/^module[ \s]([a-zA-Z0-9]*)[ \s]where/\1/m,module/
--regex-haskell=/^import[ \s](.*)/\1/i,import/
--regex-haskell=/^class[ \s](.*)where/\1/t,typeclasses/
--regex-haskell=/^instance[ \s](.*)where/\1/c,classes/
--regex-haskell=/^data[ \s]([a-zA-Z0-9]*)[ \s]/\1/d,data/
--regex-haskell=/^([ \sa-zA-Z0-9]*)[ \s]::[ \s](.*)$/\1/f,functions/

And then using tagbar I customize my .vimrc with:

" TagBar
nmap <Leader>tb :TagbarOpenAutoClose<CR>

let g:tagbar_type_haskell = {
    \ 'ctagstype' : 'Haskell',
    \ 'kinds' : [
        \ 'm:module',
        \ 'i:import',
        \ 'd:data',
        \ 't:typeclasses',
        \ 'c:instances',
        \ 'f:functions',
    \ ]
\ }

It could probably be improved but it works well enough to jump around to symbols.

http://blog.efnx.com
http://github.com/schell
http://twitter.com/schellsan