IRC question

Vasili I. Galchin
Hello,

  I am using Ubuntu Linux and I want to get the Haskell IRC feed. What IRC client can I use and how to configure?

Thanks, Vasili

Re: IRC question

Aapo Lehtinen
Galchin, Vasili kirjoitti:

> Hello,
>
>   I am using Ubuntu Linux and I want to get the Haskell IRC feed. What
> IRC client can I use and how to configure?
>
> Thanks, Vasili

Pidgin uses IRC-protocol, but Xchat can be found in Synaptic which is
more popular client.

In start-up screen of Xchat you have a list of servers where you search
Freenode or add new server (closest freenode-server for you), then join
new channel (F3 if I recall, or ctrl + j, or "/j #haskell" in
commandline of the client).

Aapo

Re: IRC question

Don Stewart-2
aapo:

> Galchin, Vasili kirjoitti:
> >Hello,
> >
> >  I am using Ubuntu Linux and I want to get the Haskell IRC feed. What
> >IRC client can I use and how to configure?
> >
> >Thanks, Vasili

> Pidgin uses IRC-protocol, but Xchat can be found in Synaptic which is
> more popular client.
>
> In start-up screen of Xchat you have a list of servers where you search
> Freenode or add new server (closest freenode-server for you), then join
> new channel (F3 if I recall, or ctrl + j, or "/j #haskell" in
> commandline of the client).

As with all good things, preferred clients are documented on the wiki,

    http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/IRC_channel

Cheers,
  Don

Re: IRC question

Jason Dagit-2

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 11:04 PM, Don Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
aapo:
> Galchin, Vasili kirjoitti:
> >Hello,
> >
> >  I am using Ubuntu Linux and I want to get the Haskell IRC feed. What
> >IRC client can I use and how to configure?
> >
> >Thanks, Vasili

> Pidgin uses IRC-protocol, but Xchat can be found in Synaptic which is
> more popular client.
>
> In start-up screen of Xchat you have a list of servers where you search
> Freenode or add new server (closest freenode-server for you), then join
> new channel (F3 if I recall, or ctrl + j, or "/j #haskell" in
> commandline of the client).

As with all good things, preferred clients are documented on the wiki,

   http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/IRC_channel

Sadly none of the recommended clients are written in Haskell or extensible in Haskell.

Two of the recommended clients on that page are ERC (an emacs client) and irssi (highly scriptable in perl).

I used ERC for several years and developed a good deal of extension code and customizations for it as I found things that worked and didn't work for me.  Eventually I was forced to move to irssi due to the horrible resource usage of ERC that plagued me despite spending considerable time debugging it.  Being a perl illiterate, I'm always sad I can't extend my IRC client now.

Does anyone have an IRC client hiding somewhere that is console friendly (I IRC from a screen session) which is also extensible in Haskell?

Thanks,
Jason

Re: IRC question

Jeff Zaroyko
2008/11/26 Galchin, Vasili <[hidden email]>:
> Hello,
>
>   I am using Ubuntu Linux and I want to get the Haskell IRC feed. What IRC
> client can I use and how to configure?
>
> Thanks, Vasili

If you are an Emacs user, then you can either use rcirc or erc

M-x erc RET RET RET RET /join #haskell RET

-Jeff

Re: IRC question

Austin Seipp
> Does anyone have an IRC client hiding somewhere that is console friendly (I
> IRC from a screen session) which is also extensible in Haskell?

http://www.haskell.org/hircules/

Last update was over 5 years ago - you could try to still build
it. But it uses gtk2hs, not ncurses.

Personally, I've thought about this as a project *several* times in the past, and
somewhere around here, I might have a few bits of code thrown together
laying around.

The -main- reasons I haven't worked on it any more than I have already
is because:

A) I was under the impression I was still the only one looking for
something like this - or maybe lots of people want an 'xmonad
equivilant' of their IRC Client? :)
B) My uni. blocks 6667 for some reason, so in order to connect with
a terminal IRC client outside of here, I need to use SSL.
And there are *no* good SSL wrappers out there at all for Haskell as
it stands - this alone is a major inhibitor of usage; I know I always
want my clients with SSL support.
C) I've been busy.

That said, if you would like to really get something started and
perhaps hack on some stuff, that would be terrifically fun and
interesting. Does anybody have name candidates? Perhaps we should go
with the yi scheme from confucianism - the zhi (knowledge) IRC client? ;)

> Thanks,
> Jason

Austin