Idea for improving communication between devs and potential devs

Idea for improving communication between devs and potential devs

Howard B. Golden
Hi,

I'd like to get involved in developing, but I recognize the learning curve involved. To get started I'd like to improve the Trac wiki documentation. Part of this would include additional documentation of less-documented parts of the compiler and RTS. In addition, I'd like to start some sort of "what's new" that boils down the GHC Dev mailing list discussion as LWN does for the Linux kernel mailing list. I don't imagine that I can do this all by myself, but I hope this idea would resonate with others looking to get started as well. This is meant to be more frequent and more detailed than what HCAR does for GHC now, though I don't expect anyone can do it weekly.

Please let me know what you think about this idea. I'm open to any suggestions for improving it also.

Howard B. Golden
Northridge, CA, USA

Idea for improving communication between devs and potential devs

Herbert Valerio Riedel-3
On 2014-01-03 at 21:57:18 +0100, Howard B. Golden wrote:

> In addition, I'd like to start some sort of "what's new" that boils
> down the GHC Dev mailing list discussion as LWN does for the Linux
> kernel mailing list.

maybe

  https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/blog

could be revived by that...?

Idea for improving communication between devs and potential devs

Howard B. Golden
Herbert,

A revived blog would be great as well, if the Simons and other devs?have time to write it. I certainly don't know enough to write it myself, but I can collate what others are talking about and maybe agreeing about on the mailing list. I think what I can produce would work better as wiki entries, rather than a blog, so it can have both a topical and chronological access path, but I am open to the blog approach as well if others will write content too.

Howard

On 2014-01-03 at 21:57:18 +0100, Howard B. Golden wrote:

> In addition, I'd like to start some sort of "what's new" that boils
> down the GHC Dev mailing list discussion as LWN does for the Linux
> kernel mailing list.

maybe

? https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/blog

could be revived by that...?

Idea for improving communication between devs and potential devs

Carter Schonwald
Great. We're open to ideas, and I think everyone will be happy to help make
this work.

One possible model worth emulating would be some sort of ghc and related
projects analogue of this week In rust.
http://cmr.github.io/blog/2013/10/28/this-week-in-rust/ eg summarizing
what's been committed that week that may be interesting etc.

On Friday, January 3, 2014, Howard B. Golden wrote:

> Herbert,
>
> A revived blog would be great as well, if the Simons and other devs have
> time to write it. I certainly don't know enough to write it myself, but I
> can collate what others are talking about and maybe agreeing about on the
> mailing list. I think what I can produce would work better as wiki entries,
> rather than a blog, so it can have both a topical and chronological access
> path, but I am open to the blog approach as well if others will write
> content too.
>
> Howard

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Idea for improving communication between devs and potential devs

Simon Peyton Jones
Howard

Thanks... improving the wiki would be a great contribution. If you point me to new material that you write, I'd be happy to review it.

Simon

Austin Seipp-5
Howard,

Something like LWN would be neat. And improving the wiki (especially
with documentation about GHC itself) would be great.

IMO I also think the blog would work well for this (it's reasonably
integrated into the wiki,) but I agree we should perhaps have some
other people contribute and write for it if that was the case, for
diversity. Of course, people also like to write on their own blogs
about new developments...

As a suggestion, one really easy thing to do is this: subscribe to
ghc-commits at haskell.org, and just read all the commits that come in.
No, you will not understand all of them immediately, and don't waste
an hour per commit, but just read over them. If you follow the
development closely, it will help immensely in your quest to
understand 'the big picture' (this is essentially how I started - by
lurking the commits list.) It'll also give you lots of great starting
points for things to talk about.

As always, the wiki is open and free to be edited - so please feel
free to write some stuff down and send it with a summary email to the
list (and be sure to include glasgow-haskell-users at haskell.org, so
users can see it too.)

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 4:40 AM, Simon Peyton-Jones
<simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:

> Howard
>
> Thanks... improving the wiki would be a great contribution. If you point me to new material that you write, I'd be happy to review it.
>
> Simon

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant

Idea for improving communication between devs and potential devs

Jonathan Paugh
Hello. I'm also looking to get more involved with GHC, and Haskell
generally. To that end, nominolo, could you give me a wiki account?
Also, pending this discussion, what permissions would I need to write
blog entries?

On 01/03/2014 06:21 PM, Howard B. Golden wrote:
> Herbert,
>
> A revived blog would be great as well, if the Simons and other devs have time to write it. I certainly don't know enough to write it myself, but I can collate what others are talking about and maybe agreeing about on the mailing list. I think what I can produce would work better as wiki entries, rather than a blog, so it can have both a topical and chronological access path, but I am open to the blog approach as well if others will write content too.
>
> Howard

I would really enjoy reading a description of recent commits -- it'd
give me a fighting chance to understand what's going on. Perhaps with
some concentrated effort and a little time, Howard and I would be able
to write those, since it really comes to down asking the primary devs
the right questions about their work: questions that might even help
them refine the quality a bit, by creating awareness.

However, in the meantime, there's another project Howard and/or I could
embark upon, that's even easier to get started on: Transcribing
everything we learn, to build up a suite of entry-level documentation.

We could write some good, introductory material and post it to the blog.
Both Howard and I have a good perspective of what challenges new comers
may face, so we could definitely make it relevant. Later, it could be
compiled (e.g. a page full of blog links) in the wiki and become the new
dev boot-strap guide.

I have already one good article in mind, "How to get an answer on
ghc-devs". This would consist largely of material from one of January's
threads:
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2014-January/003585.html

<snip>

I'm not exactly sure how much time I can commit to this, but I guess
that's not profoundly unique.

Regards,
Jonathan Paugh

Idea for improving communication between devs and potential devs

Jonathan Paugh
(Apologies for resending this, but my mailer was acting wonky. Also,
apologies for dragging up a fairly old thread.)