Integrated screen lock in xmonad?

Erik de Castro Lopo-34
Hi all,

I'm currently using gnome-screensaver to lock my xmonad sessions, but I
was wondering if anyone had put together anything like a an integrated
lock screen as a replacement.

The reason I want this is that I'd like to extend my lock screen with
sound volume and audio pause/play buttons and I *do not want* to try
hacking on either gnome-screensaver or xscreensaver.

If no one has done it, a pointer in the right direction would be
appreciated.

Cheers,
Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
http://www.mega-nerd.com/

Integrated screen lock in xmonad?

Timothy Beyer
At Mon, 5 Jan 2015 02:04:24 -0800,
Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently using gnome-screensaver to lock my xmonad sessions, but I
> was wondering if anyone had put together anything like a an integrated
> lock screen as a replacement.

I don't think it's a good idea (security-wise) to make a lock screen a large program.

Here is Jamie Zawinski's argument regarding that point:
http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/toolkits.html

> The reason I want this is that I'd like to extend my lock screen with
> sound volume and audio pause/play buttons and I *do not want* to try
> hacking on either gnome-screensaver or xscreensaver.

Full disclaimer: this is my own software, but maybe it will be of use.

I wrote a screen locker (metalock, http://chiselapp.com/user/beyert/repository/metalock/) that supports binding arbitrary commands to keys, among other features.  It's fairly secure, but I still need to finish a program to invoke it automatically (eg. a better xidle).

> If no one has done it, a pointer in the right direction would be
> appreciated.

I don't know if it would fully address your needs, as it is very small, nor is it written in Haskell, but it isn't a bloated monolithic program like gnome-screensaver or xscreensaver, and is customizable within the context of what it does, unlike the alternatives.

Tim

Integrated screen lock in xmonad?

Brandon Allbery
On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Timothy Beyer <beyert at fastmail.net> wrote:

> I wrote a screen locker (metalock,
> http://chiselapp.com/user/beyert/repository/metalock/
>
> ) that supports binding arbitrary commands to keys, among other features.
> It's fairly secure, but I still need to finish a program to invoke it
> automatically (eg. a better xidle).

What do you consider "better"? Have you looked at xautolock?

allbery.b at gmail.com                                  ballbery at sinenomine.net