Is Hugs dead?

Robert Clausecker
Some weeks ago, I mirrored the hugs repo to github.
(https://github.com/fuzxxl/Hugs) This was, when I found out, that the
last commit was about 2 years ago. Also, since some of the dependencies
moved, I was unable to build hugs.

Now my question is: Is Hugs dead? What's the status of development of
hugs?

Yours, Robert Clausecker

Re: Is Hugs dead?

Bryan O'Sullivan
On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 5:16 AM, Robert Clausecker <[hidden email]> wrote:

Now my question is: Is Hugs dead? What's the status of development of
hugs?

It's been unmaintained for years now.

Re: Is Hugs dead?

Don Stewart
Strong recommendation is to use the Haskell Platform and GHC as your
development base, unless you have very specific reasons to use Hugs or
one of the other compilers.

-- Don

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 5:16 AM, Robert Clausecker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Some weeks ago, I mirrored the hugs repo to github.
> (https://github.com/fuzxxl/Hugs) This was, when I found out, that the
> last commit was about 2 years ago. Also, since some of the dependencies
> moved, I was unable to build hugs.
>
> Now my question is: Is Hugs dead? What's the status of development of
> hugs?
>
> Yours, Robert Clausecker

Re: Is Hugs dead?

Evgeny Tarasov-2
By the way, I'd like to use hugs extensively as sysadmin's universal
scripting language. I think, it could be a great killer feature. But as
far as I know, it doesn't have any facilities to run external programs
and process their stdout, stderr end exit code.

Hugs is much more suitable for the task then ghc because of its
compactness and portability. And some people think that haskell code is
easier to maintain than shell scripts, perl or even python.

--
Best regards
Evgeny Tarasov

22.04.2011 18:16, Robert Clausecker пишет:

> Some weeks ago, I mirrored the hugs repo to github.
> (https://github.com/fuzxxl/Hugs) This was, when I found out, that the
> last commit was about 2 years ago. Also, since some of the dependencies
> moved, I was unable to build hugs.
>
> Now my question is: Is Hugs dead? What's the status of development of
> hugs?
>
> Yours, Robert Clausecker

Re: Is Hugs dead?

Henning Thielemann

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011, Evgeny Tarasov wrote:

> By the way, I'd like to use hugs extensively as sysadmin's universal
> scripting language.

Hugs is better in this respect because it starts much faster than runghc.

> I think, it could be a great killer feature. But as far as I know, it
> doesn't have any facilities to run external programs and process their
> stdout, stderr end exit code.
>
> Hugs is much more suitable for the task then ghc because of its
> compactness and portability. And some people think that haskell code is
> easier to maintain than shell scripts, perl or even python.

For GHC-6.0 and GHC-6.2, that is before runInteractiveProcess, we had the
package:
   http://hackage.haskell.org/package/shell-pipe

Maybe this can be used for Hugs.

Re: Is Hugs dead?

wren ng thornton
On 4/22/11 8:16 AM, Robert Clausecker wrote:
> Some weeks ago, I mirrored the hugs repo to github.
> (https://github.com/fuzxxl/Hugs) This was, when I found out, that the
> last commit was about 2 years ago. Also, since some of the dependencies
> moved, I was unable to build hugs.
>
> Now my question is: Is Hugs dead? What's the status of development of
> hugs?

Alas, Hugs appears to be well and truly dead. Sept2006 seems to be the
last official release, and the bugs I've posted for Cabal/cabal-install
support seem to have a priority hovering around _|_.

You can get an unofficial Feb2009 release from the corehugs[1] project
that forked off in 2008. Unfortunately corehugs seems to be dead too
(along with the Yhc it was forked to work with).

Tis a shame to see all those projects go. It'd be nice to have a simple,
portable Haskell interpreter for shell scripting, embedded machines, etc.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/corehugs/

--
Live well,
~wren