Quantcast

Is protocol-buffers package maintainer reachable?

Is protocol-buffers package maintainer reachable?

Paul Graphov
Hello Cafe!

I am using protocol-buffers and hprotoc packages but they fail to
compile with recent GHC due to trivial errors. Hackage names
Christopher Edward Kuklewicz as their maintainer. I've sent him
patches more than a month ago but neiter they were applied nor I got
any response. It's quite inconvenient to keep patched versions all the
time. Does anybody know if he is still interested in maintaining those
packages? Is it possible to contact him? And what should I do if he is
unreachable?

Thanks!

Links:

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/protocol-buffers
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/hprotoc

Re: Is protocol-buffers package maintainer reachable?

Aleksey Khudyakov
On 23.04.2012 17:01, Paul Graphov wrote:

> Hello Cafe!
>
> I am using protocol-buffers and hprotoc packages but they fail to
> compile with recent GHC due to trivial errors. Hackage names
> Christopher Edward Kuklewicz as their maintainer. I've sent him
> patches more than a month ago but neiter they were applied nor I got
> any response. It's quite inconvenient to keep patched versions all the
> time. Does anybody know if he is still interested in maintaining those
> packages? Is it possible to contact him? And what should I do if he is
> unreachable?

I've too tried to contact him almost year ago about same issue. Never
got an answer.

Re: Is protocol-buffers package maintainer reachable?

Max Rabkin-2
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 15:01, Paul Graphov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And what should I do if he is
> unreachable?

My feeling is that if you are willing to take it on, you should ask
this list if anybody objects to your taking over the maintainership,
and if they do not, take it over (on Hackage, this just means
uploading a new version of the package).

--Max

Re: Is protocol-buffers package maintainer reachable?

Johan Tibell-2
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Max Rabkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 15:01, Paul Graphov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> And what should I do if he is
>> unreachable?
>
> My feeling is that if you are willing to take it on, you should ask
> this list if anybody objects to your taking over the maintainership,
> and if they do not, take it over (on Hackage, this just means
> uploading a new version of the package).

If Chris is indeed out of the loop we should find a new maintainer.
Mark and I are also interested in the future of protocol buffers in
Haskell.

-- Johan

Re: Is protocol-buffers package maintainer reachable?

Vo Minh Thu
For what it's worth, I think he is active on stackoverflow.

Thu

Le 23 avril 2012 17:13, Johan Tibell <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Max Rabkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 15:01, Paul Graphov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> And what should I do if he is
>>> unreachable?
>>
>> My feeling is that if you are willing to take it on, you should ask
>> this list if anybody objects to your taking over the maintainership,
>> and if they do not, take it over (on Hackage, this just means
>> uploading a new version of the package).
>
> If Chris is indeed out of the loop we should find a new maintainer.
> Mark and I are also interested in the future of protocol buffers in
> Haskell.
>
> -- Johan

Re: Is protocol-buffers package maintainer reachable?

Paul Graphov
I'm not sure about being a maintainer - I don't even know how those
packages work and have no experience in preparing package for hackage.
But fixes are really trivial - maybe I'll just upload patched versions
if it is possible?

Is it possible to contact StackOverflow user?

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Vo Minh Thu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For what it's worth, I think he is active on stackoverflow.
>
> Thu
>
> Le 23 avril 2012 17:13, Johan Tibell <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>>
>>> My feeling is that if you are willing to take it on, you should ask
>>> this list if anybody objects to your taking over the maintainership,
>>> and if they do not, take it over (on Hackage, this just means
>>> uploading a new version of the package).
>>
>> If Chris is indeed out of the loop we should find a new maintainer.
>> Mark and I are also interested in the future of protocol buffers in
>> Haskell.
>>
>> -- Johan

Re: Is protocol-buffers package maintainer reachable?

Yitzchak Gale
Johan Tibell wrote:
> If Chris is indeed out of the loop we should find a new maintainer.
> Mark and I are also interested in the future of protocol buffers in
> Haskell.

Also, Chris is the maintainer of some regex packages
that are in the Haskell Platform.

-Yitz

Re: Is protocol-buffers package maintainer reachable?

Henk-Jan van Tuyl
On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 16:26:11 +0200, Aleksey Khudyakov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23.04.2012 17:01, Paul Graphov wrote:
>> Hello Cafe!
>>
>> I am using protocol-buffers and hprotoc packages but they fail to
>> compile with recent GHC due to trivial errors. Hackage names
>> Christopher Edward Kuklewicz as their maintainer. I've sent him
>> patches more than a month ago but neiter they were applied nor I got
>> any response. It's quite inconvenient to keep patched versions all the
>> time. Does anybody know if he is still interested in maintaining those
>> packages? Is it possible to contact him? And what should I do if he is
>> unreachable?
>>
> I've too tried to contact him almost year ago about same issue. Never
> got an answer.

It seems that his facebook page is
   https://www.facebook.com/ThereIsNoMagic

Regards,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

--
http://Van.Tuyl.eu/
Haskell programming

Re: Is protocol-buffers package maintainer reachable?

wren ng thornton
On 4/23/12 10:26 AM, Aleksey Khudyakov wrote:
> On 23.04.2012 17:01, Paul Graphov wrote:
>> Hackage names Christopher Edward Kuklewicz as their maintainer. I've sent him
>> patches more than a month ago but neiter they were applied nor I got
>> any response. [...]
>
> I've too tried to contact him almost year ago about same issue. Never
> got an answer.

FWIW, I didn't have any issues getting in touch with him a year ago
(from Oct 2010 through 21 March 2011, according to my email record).
Though I haven't tried since then.

Like Johan Tibell, I'm interested in the maintenance of these packages
since I'm using them for a project; though I don't know that I could
contribute anything more than a context for regression debugging.

--
Live well,
~wren