Is stage-1 sufficient to run nofib

Joachim Breitner-2
Hi,

I guess I could just try it, but maybe someone knows it, or knows what
would go wrong…

    If I run nofib with ghc-stage1 instead of ghc-stage2, I should get
    the same results, right? (ignoring compilation times here)

My hope is that it can speed up perf.haskell.org some more.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim Breitner
  [hidden email]

Re: Is stage-1 sufficient to run nofib

Edward Z. Yang
Yes, but you still need to build the libraries, so the speed up
will not be as much as you might hope.

Excerpts from Joachim Breitner's message of 2017-10-22 22:19:03 -0400:

> Hi,
>
> I guess I could just try it, but maybe someone knows it, or knows what
> would go wrong…
>
>     If I run nofib with ghc-stage1 instead of ghc-stage2, I should get
>     the same results, right? (ignoring compilation times here)
>
> My hope is that it can speed up perf.haskell.org some more.
>
> Greetings,
> Joachim

Re: Is stage-1 sufficient to run nofib

Joachim Breitner-2
Hi Edward,

Am Sonntag, den 22.10.2017, 22:23 -0400 schrieb Edward Z. Yang:
> Yes, but you still need to build the libraries, so the speed up
> will not be as much as you might hope.

sure, but when you build every GHC commit, then even a small
improvement is nice.

Do you know the proper way of building only libraries + ghc-stage1?

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]

Am Sonntag, den 22.10.2017, 23:14 -0400 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> Am Sonntag, den 22.10.2017, 22:23 -0400 schrieb Edward Z. Yang:
> > Yes, but you still need to build the libraries, so the speed up
> > will not be as much as you might hope.
>
> sure, but when you build every GHC commit, then even a small
> improvement is nice.
>
> Do you know the proper way of building only libraries + ghc-stage1?

nevermind, perf.haskell.org also measures compiler performances (in the
test suite), so I need stage2.

Joachim