Is there unused code in GHC source?

Jan Stolarek
Dear devs,

I'm trying to dig into GHC code and one thing is wondering me. Does the source contain old
fragments of code that are not used anymore? Well, for such a big project the answer will
probably be 'yes', but I'm wondering what the scale of this might be. I thought that such
leftovers could be a bit misleading and I want to know if I should stay alert :)

Janek

Is there unused code in GHC source?

Simon Peyton Jones
Almost certainly some, but probably not all that much.  Do highlight any that you find.

Simon

Dnia poniedzia?ek, 14 stycznia 2013, Simon Peyton-Jones napisa?:
> Almost certainly some, but probably not all that much.  Do highlight any
> that you find.
Thanks. I will.

My question was inspired by comment in $(TOP)/ghc-tarballs/perl/README

"This perl binary has been part of GHC distributions for some time.
We don't know where it originally came from."

Which suggests that also the purpose of that binary might be unknown :) I thought that similar
things might be happening in the code.

Jan