Issue with screenlocker obscured in background after display change

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Issue with screenlocker obscured in background after display change

Ethan Schoonover
A consistently reproducible problem involving titlebar decorations &
screenlockers. I would have submitted an issue on github, but I'm not
even sure if this is an XMonad core issue, an X.L.NoFrillsDecoration
issue, a general decoration issue, or what, exactly.

Summary:
-------------------------------------------------------
Screenlocker (tested with various) is obscured by windows after
display change when using a minimal layout with titlebar decorations.

Video demonstrating issue:
-------------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3P_VJIZBE0

Environment:
-------------------------------------------------------
Dual monitor (laptop/external), normally used one at a time. I have a
udev rule that triggers a shell script that switches display when
hotplugging/unplugging.

Scenario (as demonstrated in video):
-------------------------------------------------------
1. External monitor active, internal inactive (or vice versa, point
being only one display active)

2. Screen lock using any of several common screen lockers (tested this
issue with: xscreensaver, i3lock, sxlock) is activated while connected
to external display. Hot-unplug of external display triggers udev
xrandr script, internal laptop display is successfully activated.

3. If using layout without titlebar decorations, there is no problem

4 If using X.L.NoFrillsDecoration to make title bar decorations on the
windows, the layout windows are drawn on TOP of the screen locker on
the new display. The screenlocker retains input focus, so it can be
unlocked, but it is obscured by the windows on top of it. (I can see
the screenlocker through the terminals since I'm using transparency,
but if a non transparent window, the screenlocker is completely
obscured).

Dotfiles:
-------------------------------------------------------
Gist of very basic XMonad config I put together to test this.
https://gist.github.com/altercation/1e5150369b4eb6f7caf013550de0bd43


Any ideas on work arounds for this?

-Ethan

Ethan Schoonover
[hidden email]
@ethanschoonover
http://ethanschoonover.com
Freenode/Github: altercation
_______________________________________________
xmonad mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xmonad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issue with screenlocker obscured in background after display change

Peter Jones
Ethan Schoonover <[hidden email]>
writes:
> A consistently reproducible problem involving titlebar decorations &
> screenlockers. I would have submitted an issue on github, but I'm not
> even sure if this is an XMonad core issue, an X.L.NoFrillsDecoration
> issue, a general decoration issue, or what, exactly.

This is a very bizarre problem for sure.  Open an issue under the
xmonad-contrib repository so it doesn't get swept under the rug.

--
Peter Jones, Founder, Devalot.com
Defending the honor of good code

_______________________________________________
xmonad mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xmonad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issue with screenlocker obscured in background after display change

Ethan Schoonover
Peter, thanks for the reply on this. I was testing further to see if I
could mitigate it and have to provide some further information. I
don't really know if this will let XMonad off the hook or if it in
fact reveals a edge case issue:

I realized that my screen switching script (which is triggered on udev
events) included an "xmonad --restart" as xmobar was failing to
reposition properly. I removed the restart from my script and the
windows no longer appear in front of the screen locker.

I still find it to be interesting/strange that a restart with titlebar
decorations has different effects than restarting XMonad without
titlebar decorations.

I'm happy to submit an issue for this, though I realize that it's a
weird edge case if even that.

Cheers,
Ethan
Ethan Schoonover
[hidden email]
@ethanschoonover
http://ethanschoonover.com
Freenode/Github: altercation


On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Peter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ethan Schoonover <[hidden email]>
> writes:
>> A consistently reproducible problem involving titlebar decorations &
>> screenlockers. I would have submitted an issue on github, but I'm not
>> even sure if this is an XMonad core issue, an X.L.NoFrillsDecoration
>> issue, a general decoration issue, or what, exactly.
>
> This is a very bizarre problem for sure.  Open an issue under the
> xmonad-contrib repository so it doesn't get swept under the rug.
>
> --
> Peter Jones, Founder, Devalot.com
> Defending the honor of good code
>
> _______________________________________________
> xmonad mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xmonad
_______________________________________________
xmonad mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xmonad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issue with screenlocker obscured in background after display change

Brandon Allbery

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Ethan Schoonover <[hidden email]> wrote:
I still find it to be interesting/strange that a restart with titlebar
decorations has different effects than restarting XMonad without
titlebar decorations.

The Decoration module is a trainwreck.

--
brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
[hidden email]                                  [hidden email]
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net

_______________________________________________
xmonad mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xmonad