Julia and Charts on Mac

Dominic Steinitz-2
I just had an interesting experience installing the Julia charts package (Gadfly based on ggplot) on my Mac which I thought I would share as I know I and other folk have had trouble getting diagrams / Cairo to work on Macs.

It installs homebrew and then all the required packages from its own repo (not sure what the homebrew terminology is for this - possibly a brewery?) so presumably guaranteeing that the installation is consistent and “just works”. I must say I was a bit surprised (I think I would have liked it to tell me what it was about to do) but it was entirely painless and I drew my first chart after less than 5 minutes.

Something to bear in mind for making the barrier to entry to Haskell a bit lower.

Dominic Steinitz
[hidden email]
http://idontgetoutmuch.wordpress.com

PS I am not sure that haskell-cafe is the right list to share this on but as we don’t have a mailing list for numerical stuff or mac stuff...

Re: Julia and Charts on Mac

Ben Gamari-2
Dominic Steinitz <[hidden email]> writes:

> I just had an interesting experience installing the Julia charts
> package (Gadfly based on ggplot) on my Mac which I thought I would
> share as I know I and other folk have had trouble getting diagrams /
> Cairo to work on Macs.

I agree that the current cairo situation could be improved. The fact that
gtk2hs can't properly depend upon gtk2hs-buildtools means that nearly
anyone who needs to needs to install any Cairo-based package with
Cabal has at very least one non-trivial hoop to jump through. In my
experience this is often only the first of several.

This has always perplexed me as Cairo isn't glib-based, unlike the other
members of the gtk2hs family. Binding to Cairo should (as far as I know)
be no harder than binding to any other pure C library. It seems like the
situation could be improved substantially by simply splitting cairo out
of gtk2hs, using standard FFI code generation tools (bindings-dsl works
pretty well in my experience, although plain hsc2hs is also acceptable),
and simplifying its build system.

That being said, part of me thinks that the days of Cairo being dominant
means of drawing are numbered. Diagrams can produce SVG without any help
From Cairo and Chart can now use diagrams as its backend. I would hope
that installation of pure Haskell libraries would be no harder than
Julia's process.

The only reason I can think of why this wouldn't be the case is Cabal
hell. While Julia may not suffer from package-hell yet (due to the young
age and batteries-included nature of the distribution) they will
inevitably need to deal with it at some point.

> It installs homebrew and then all the required packages from its own
> repo (not sure what the homebrew terminology is for this - possibly a
> brewery?) so presumably guaranteeing that the installation is
> consistent and “just works”. I must say I was a bit surprised (I think
> I would have liked it to tell me what it was about to do) but it was
> entirely painless and I drew my first chart after less than 5 minutes.

Sounds like quite a pleasant process. It's a shame there isn't more
community interest in maintaining a Haskell homebrew repository. It
seems like this could substantially improve the OS X support story.

> PS I am not sure that haskell-cafe is the right list to share this on
> but as we don’t have a mailing list for numerical stuff or mac
> stuff...

I appreciated the post.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: Julia and Charts on Mac

Carter Schonwald
on the OS X ease of install front, ghcformacosx.github.io is a bit easier to do that homebrew (or at least in my opinionated opinion), and has much better zeroconfig / isolation

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dominic Steinitz <[hidden email]> writes:

> I just had an interesting experience installing the Julia charts
> package (Gadfly based on ggplot) on my Mac which I thought I would
> share as I know I and other folk have had trouble getting diagrams /
> Cairo to work on Macs.

I agree that the current cairo situation could be improved. The fact that
gtk2hs can't properly depend upon gtk2hs-buildtools means that nearly
anyone who needs to needs to install any Cairo-based package with
Cabal has at very least one non-trivial hoop to jump through. In my
experience this is often only the first of several.

This has always perplexed me as Cairo isn't glib-based, unlike the other
members of the gtk2hs family. Binding to Cairo should (as far as I know)
be no harder than binding to any other pure C library. It seems like the
situation could be improved substantially by simply splitting cairo out
of gtk2hs, using standard FFI code generation tools (bindings-dsl works
pretty well in my experience, although plain hsc2hs is also acceptable),
and simplifying its build system.

That being said, part of me thinks that the days of Cairo being dominant
means of drawing are numbered. Diagrams can produce SVG without any help
From Cairo and Chart can now use diagrams as its backend. I would hope
that installation of pure Haskell libraries would be no harder than
Julia's process.

The only reason I can think of why this wouldn't be the case is Cabal
hell. While Julia may not suffer from package-hell yet (due to the young
age and batteries-included nature of the distribution) they will
inevitably need to deal with it at some point.

> It installs homebrew and then all the required packages from its own
> repo (not sure what the homebrew terminology is for this - possibly a
> brewery?) so presumably guaranteeing that the installation is
> consistent and “just works”. I must say I was a bit surprised (I think
> I would have liked it to tell me what it was about to do) but it was
> entirely painless and I drew my first chart after less than 5 minutes.

Sounds like quite a pleasant process. It's a shame there isn't more
community interest in maintaining a Haskell homebrew repository. It
seems like this could substantially improve the OS X support story.

> PS I am not sure that haskell-cafe is the right list to share this on
> but as we don’t have a mailing list for numerical stuff or mac
> stuff...

I appreciated the post.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: Julia and Charts on Mac

Kyle Marek-Spartz
If you use Homebrew Cask (http://caskroom.io/), you can:

brew cask install ghc

which uses the ghcformacosx.github.io installer.

There's also installers in Cask for e.g. Leksah and some other useful
Haskell tools.

Carter Schonwald writes:

> on the OS X ease of install front, ghcformacosx.github.io is a bit easier
> to do that homebrew (or at least in my opinionated opinion), and has much
> better zeroconfig / isolation
>
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dominic Steinitz <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > I just had an interesting experience installing the Julia charts
>> > package (Gadfly based on ggplot) on my Mac which I thought I would
>> > share as I know I and other folk have had trouble getting diagrams /
>> > Cairo to work on Macs.
>> >
>> I agree that the current cairo situation could be improved. The fact that
>> gtk2hs can't properly depend upon gtk2hs-buildtools means that nearly
>> anyone who needs to needs to install any Cairo-based package with
>> Cabal has at very least one non-trivial hoop to jump through. In my
>> experience this is often only the first of several.
>>
>> This has always perplexed me as Cairo isn't glib-based, unlike the other
>> members of the gtk2hs family. Binding to Cairo should (as far as I know)
>> be no harder than binding to any other pure C library. It seems like the
>> situation could be improved substantially by simply splitting cairo out
>> of gtk2hs, using standard FFI code generation tools (bindings-dsl works
>> pretty well in my experience, although plain hsc2hs is also acceptable),
>> and simplifying its build system.
>>
>> That being said, part of me thinks that the days of Cairo being dominant
>> means of drawing are numbered. Diagrams can produce SVG without any help
>> From Cairo and Chart can now use diagrams as its backend. I would hope
>> that installation of pure Haskell libraries would be no harder than
>> Julia's process.
>>
>> The only reason I can think of why this wouldn't be the case is Cabal
>> hell. While Julia may not suffer from package-hell yet (due to the young
>> age and batteries-included nature of the distribution) they will
>> inevitably need to deal with it at some point.
>>
>> > It installs homebrew and then all the required packages from its own
>> > repo (not sure what the homebrew terminology is for this - possibly a
>> > brewery?) so presumably guaranteeing that the installation is
>> > consistent and “just works”. I must say I was a bit surprised (I think
>> > I would have liked it to tell me what it was about to do) but it was
>> > entirely painless and I drew my first chart after less than 5 minutes.
>> >
>> Sounds like quite a pleasant process. It's a shame there isn't more
>> community interest in maintaining a Haskell homebrew repository. It
>> seems like this could substantially improve the OS X support story.
>>
>> > PS I am not sure that haskell-cafe is the right list to share this on
>> > but as we don’t have a mailing list for numerical stuff or mac
>> > stuff...
>>
>> I appreciated the post.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> - Ben

Re: Julia and Charts on Mac

Dominic Steinitz-2
Cool - I did not know that - thanks for sharing