Just curios

Andrew Coppin
OK, so this doesn't actually have anything to do with programming in
Haskell, but...

How in the name of God does a human being end up walking around with a
name like "Haskell B. Curry"?

Re: Just curios

Brandon S Allbery KF8NH

On Jun 10, 2007, at 6:16 , Andrew Coppin wrote:

> OK, so this doesn't actually have anything to do with programming
> in Haskell, but...
>
> How in the name of God does a human being end up walking around
> with a name like "Haskell B. Curry"?

You're pretty close, actually :)  Names derived from Hebrew were
fairly common in the Bible belt back when he was born.  ("Haskell"
from השקל, wisdom.  I half suspect "Curry" has a Biblical origin
as well, from קרי.)

Re: Just curios

Hudak, Paul
As reported in the recent HOPL paper, A History of Haskell, Haskell Brooks Curry actually didn't like his first name!  I learned this when I visited his wife, Virginia Curry, at the time when we decided to name a language after her husband.

By the way, Haskell Curry's mother's name was Anna Baright and his father's name was Samuel Silas Curry.  Samuel was the President of the School of Expression in Boston and Anna was the Dean of the school.  Haskell met a student at the School of Expression whose name was Mary Virginia Wheatly, who would later become his bride.

(Silas Curry's school was one of the motivations for naming my book -- the other being that Haskell programs are just expressions :-)

You can learn more about Haskell Curry at: http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Biographies/Curry.html

    -Paul

Andrew Coppin wrote:
OK, so this doesn't actually have anything to do with programming in Haskell, but...

How in the name of God does a human being end up walking around with a name like "Haskell B. Curry"?

Re: Just curios

Stephen Forrest-3
On 6/10/07, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH <[hidden email]> wrote:

You're pretty close, actually :)  Names derived from Hebrew were
fairly common in the Bible belt back when he was born.  ("Haskell"
from השקל, wisdom.  I half suspect "Curry" has a Biblical origin
as well, from קרי.)

Bible belt?  Curry was born in Millis, Massachusetts, and grew up in Boston.

The word "Haskell" seems to occur much more frequently as a surname, originating in the British Isles.  It seems more plausible that he got the name "Haskell" from some relative or family friend somewhere than ascribing a Hebrew origin for his name.

Steve

Re: Just curios

Tom Schrijvers-2
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Stephen Forrest wrote:

> On 6/10/07, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> You're pretty close, actually :)  Names derived from Hebrew were
>> fairly common in the Bible belt back when he was born.  ("Haskell"
>> from , wisdom.  I half suspect "Curry" has a Biblical origin
>> as well, from .)
>

> Bible belt?  Curry was born in Millis, Massachusetts, and grew up in Boston.
>
> The word "Haskell" seems to occur much more frequently as a surname,
> originating in the British Isles.  It seems more plausible that he got the
> name "Haskell" from some relative or family friend somewhere than ascribing
> a Hebrew origin for his name.

I found this:

  HASKEL:  Hebrew name meaning "intellect."  Variant, Haskell, exists.

in a list name explanations:

  http://www.smcm.edu/users/saquade/names.html

Tom

--
Tom Schrijvers

Department of Computer Science
K.U. Leuven
Celestijnenlaan 200A
B-3001 Heverlee
Belgium

tel: +32 16 327544
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Just curios

Fritz Ruehr
For what it's worth, a handful of people who have ordered Haskell merchandise from the CafePress store over the years have had "Haskell" as a surname. I assume they look at the designs before they buy, and I can't imagine what they think of some of them, but I guess the allure of having your (fairly obscure) name on a shirt can be irresistible.

Then again, I suppose they could be functional programmers who just happen to have Haskell as a surname.

  --  Fritz

PS: In other CafePress-Haskell Shop trivia, 277 items have been sold since the turn of the century, at a total price of just over one thousand dollars ... but, of course, no profit. (This last seems to be a slight problem with our business model.) The most curious order to date was a canceled one for 60 junior "baby doll" t-shirts: I like to imagine that some sort of big chorus number was planned for an ill-fated Broadway revue, but who can tell?

Paul Hudak wrote:
> As reported in the recent HOPL paper, /A History of Haskell/, Haskell
> Brooks Curry actually didn't like his first name!  I learned this when
> I visited his wife, Virginia Curry, at the time when we decided to
> name a language after her husband.

Yes... I recall reading that somewhere. (Irony, eh? Name something after
somebody and find they hated the name anyway...)

I *also* distinctly recall reading somewhere the following words:

  "Of course, our biggest mistake was using the word 'monad'. We should
have called it 'warm fuzzy thing'..."

Damned if I can remember who said that or where they said it though! >_<

Re: Just curios

Thomas Schilling-2
On 6/11/07, Andrew Coppin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>   "Of course, our biggest mistake was using the word 'monad'. We should
> have called it 'warm fuzzy thing'..."

You know that thing called "Google"? ;)

  http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/92

Among others.

Monad Transformer (Was: Just curios)

Henning Thielemann

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Andrew Coppin wrote:

> Paul Hudak wrote:
> > As reported in the recent HOPL paper, /A History of Haskell/, Haskell
> > Brooks Curry actually didn't like his first name!  I learned this when
> > I visited his wife, Virginia Curry, at the time when we decided to
> > name a language after her husband.
>
> Yes... I recall reading that somewhere. (Irony, eh? Name something after
> somebody and find they hated the name anyway...)
>

> I *also* distinctly recall reading somewhere the following words:
>
>   "Of course, our biggest mistake was using the word 'monad'. We should
> have called it 'warm fuzzy thing'..."

This is no longer a problem, because you can visit a web with (almost) no
monads:
  http://saxophone.jpberlin.de/MonadTransformer?source=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ehaskell%2Eorg%2Fhaskellwiki%2FCategory%3AMonad

:-)

Re: Just curios

Andrew Coppin
Thomas Schilling wrote:

> On 6/11/07, Andrew Coppin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>   "Of course, our biggest mistake was using the word 'monad'. We should
>> have called it 'warm fuzzy thing'..."
>
> You know that thing called "Google"? ;)
>
>  http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/92
>
> Among others.

I don't see any reference t-- oh, wait. Half way down the 20-mile page.
I see it now. Simon (the PJ one) says

  "Our biggest mistake [in designing Haskell] was using the scary term
'monad' rather than 'warm fuzzy thing'."

in Wearing the hair shirt: A retrospective on Haskell. And now I have a
URL. >:-)