Language extension histories

David Feuer
I'm working on some code I want to be compatible with multiple GHC versions and I'm trying to figure out which language extensions I can reasonably use. I definitely need usable fancy pattern synonyms (not the bare-bones ones in 7.8). So that should set a lower bound, but I don't remember where. 7.10? 8.0? I'd also *like* to use an injective type family, but I can work around that pretty easily with a data family if necessary. When did PatternSynonyms and TypeFamilyDependencies each become reasonably usable?

Re: Language extension histories

Takenobu Tani
Hi,

Maybe the next page is what you want? :
  https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/wikis/language-pragma-history

PatternSynonyms was implemented in GHC 7.8, and TypeFamilyDependencies
was implemented in GHC 8.0.

Regards,
Takenobu

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 2:08 AM David Feuer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm working on some code I want to be compatible with multiple GHC versions and I'm trying to figure out which language extensions I can reasonably use. I definitely need usable fancy pattern synonyms (not the bare-bones ones in 7.8). So that should set a lower bound, but I don't remember where. 7.10? 8.0? I'd also *like* to use an injective type family, but I can work around that pretty easily with a data family if necessary. When did PatternSynonyms and TypeFamilyDependencies each become reasonably usable?

Re: Language extension histories

David Feuer
That's not all that helpful, because both extensions evolved quite a bit since their initial introduction.

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020, 9:35 PM Takenobu Tani <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Maybe the next page is what you want? :
  https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/wikis/language-pragma-history

PatternSynonyms was implemented in GHC 7.8, and TypeFamilyDependencies
was implemented in GHC 8.0.

Regards,
Takenobu

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 2:08 AM David Feuer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm working on some code I want to be compatible with multiple GHC versions and I'm trying to figure out which language extensions I can reasonably use. I definitely need usable fancy pattern synonyms (not the bare-bones ones in 7.8). So that should set a lower bound, but I don't remember where. 7.10? 8.0? I'd also *like* to use an injective type family, but I can work around that pretty easily with a data family if necessary. When did PatternSynonyms and TypeFamilyDependencies each become reasonably usable?

Re: Language extension histories

Takenobu Tani
> That's not all that helpful, because both extensions evolved quite a bit since their initial introduction.

Oh, I see.

Re: Language extension histories

Dr. ERDI Gergo
On Sat, 31 Oct 2020, David Feuer wrote:

> I'm working on some code I want to be compatible with multiple GHC versions and I'm
> trying to figure out which language extensions I can reasonably use. I definitely need
> usable fancy pattern synonyms (not the bare-bones ones in 7.8). So that should set a
> lower bound, but I don't remember where. 7.10? 8.0?

Looking at Git, if you need record syntax support in pattern synonyms, you
will need to go with 8.0.