Latest Haskell Platform for Windows (2010.1.0.0) does not seem to include C++ support

Latest Haskell Platform for Windows (2010.1.0.0) does not seem to include C++ support

Jeremy O'Donoghue
Hi list,

I've just been helping out a wxHaskell user who has been having problems
installing the latest wxHaskell on Windows 7 with the latest haskell
Platform.

As background, wxHaskell contains a substantial C++ wrapper which is
normally compiled from the Cabal script. On Windows machines, this has
the result that the GHC internal copy of MinGW is used for compilation.

I'm getting the following error:

"realgcc.exe: installation problem - cannot exec 'cc1plus': no such file
or directory"

On checking, Haskell Platform\2010.1.0.0\mingw\libexec\gcc\mingw32\3.4.5
does not contain cc1plus.exe. Previous versions of the platform have
done so. Is this an accidental change or a deliberate policy decision?
Is there any way to persuade cabal to use another C++ compiler (I have a
perfectly good copy of MinGW g++ elsewhere on my machine).

Regards
Jeremy O'Donoghue
--
  Jeremy O'Donoghue

Re: Latest Haskell Platform for Windows (2010.1.0.0) does not seem to include C++ support

Maciej Piechotka
On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 12:53 +0100, Jeremy O'Donoghue wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I've just been helping out a wxHaskell user who has been having problems
> installing the latest wxHaskell on Windows 7 with the latest haskell
> Platform.
>
> As background, wxHaskell contains a substantial C++ wrapper which is
> normally compiled from the Cabal script. On Windows machines, this has
> the result that the GHC internal copy of MinGW is used for compilation.
>
> I'm getting the following error:
>
> "realgcc.exe: installation problem - cannot exec 'cc1plus': no such file
> or directory"
>
> On checking, Haskell Platform\2010.1.0.0\mingw\libexec\gcc\mingw32\3.4.5
> does not contain cc1plus.exe. Previous versions of the platform have
> done so. Is this an accidental change or a deliberate policy decision?
> Is there any way to persuade cabal to use another C++ compiler (I have a
> perfectly good copy of MinGW g++ elsewhere on my machine).
>
> Regards
> Jeremy O'Donoghue
Personally I believe there should be option with unbundled mingw (unless
it, which I don't think is a case except C++ in which GHC is not written
in, there are problems with mixing gcc versions). I find myself with
installed few different version of gcc/msys/perl/tcl/... in system just
because each program installs its own copy.

I'm even thinking about writing package manager for Windows to handle
the bundling problem but I don't think it'll succeed (Windows is not my
primary OS).

Regards

Re: Latest Haskell Platform for Windows (2010.1.0.0) does not seem to include C++ support

Malcolm Wallace
> "realgcc.exe: installation problem - cannot exec 'cc1plus': no such
> file
> or directory"
>
> On checking, Haskell Platform\2010.1.0.0\mingw\libexec\gcc
> \mingw32\3.4.5
> does not contain cc1plus.exe. Previous versions of the platform have
> done so. Is this an accidental change or a deliberate policy decision?

ghc-6.12.1 on Windows did not include the mingw C++ compiler.  This
was a mistake.  It is included once more in ghc-6.12.2.

Regards,
    Malcolm

Re: Latest Haskell Platform for Windows (2010.1.0.0) does not seem to include C++ support

Neil Mitchell
Hi

>> On checking, Haskell Platform\2010.1.0.0\mingw\libexec\gcc\mingw32\3.4.5
>> does not contain cc1plus.exe. Previous versions of the platform have
>> done so. Is this an accidental change or a deliberate policy decision?
>
> ghc-6.12.1 on Windows did not include the mingw C++ compiler.  This was a
> mistake.  It is included once more in ghc-6.12.2.

ghc-6.12.1 didn't include cc1plus.exe or libstdc++.a. The lack of
libstdc++.a caused a failure in something I was building, so I raised
a bug and it's now included in 6.12.2. I didn't explicitly compile any
C++ code, so it's possible that still doesn't work.

It wasn't a policy decision, merely an accident, and I'm sure if you
alert people it will be rectified (since otherwise it's a regression).

Thanks, Neil

Re: Latest Haskell Platform for Windows (2010.1.0.0) does not seem to include C++ support

Jeremy O'Donoghue
Hi list(s),

(Apologies for cross-posting, but likely to be of interest to both
lists)

As lack of C++ support on latest Haskell Platform prevents wxHaskell
cabal install for Windows, and may well be causing issues for others, I
present a vile hack which will get you some level of working C++
support. This has been verified to work on a Windows 7 machine.

You will need a clean MinGW 3.4.5 installation (I used the current
Windows MinGW installer to get this, but many of you probably have MinGW
lying around anyway) as a source for the files below:

Copy cc1plus.exe from a MinGW 3.4.5 install into c:\Program Files
(x86)\Haskell Platform\2010.1.0.0\mingw\libexec\gcc\mingw32\3.4.5
Copy libstdc++.a from a MinGW 3.4.5 install into c:\Program Files
(x86)\Haskell Platform\2010.1.0.0\mingw\lib
Copy the entire contents of include\c++ directory from a MinGW 3.4.5
install into c:\Program Files (x86)\Haskell
Platform\2010.1.0.0\mingw\include\c++

At this point you have a sufficient C++ environment to cabal install wx
and get a working wxHaskell installation. There are a number of files
missing from a complete MinGW C++ installation, so I don't guarantee
this as working for all C++ code.

On Windows 7, you will need to do your 'cabal install wx' in a command
window running as Administrator. 'cabal install wx --user' does not work
in a normal shell. I'll look into this later.

Regards
Jeremy

--
  Jeremy O'Donoghue